What can I do to help

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: What can I do to help

Post by Iceman »

Just for kicks I moved the buttons in the Fed GCM, and it actually doesn't look that bad.
Apart from the missing buttons, that is.
Attachments
DomGCM.png
DomGCM.png (296.23 KiB) Viewed 8901 times
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

Looks not too bad. I would love to clean up the LCARS and update the icons. The Klingon menu I feel is too large. I like its design but its just way to large. I think we should consider trying to keep this "3 buttons on either side of the controlling race logo" theme. and just overhaul all the menus
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The icons in the Fed GCM are really good for identifying the buttons, IMO, maybe we should have similar ones for all the civs?
When we have all the menus, I guess we could take a look at the Klingons and Cardassians - but I really like them, I think we should keep their overall look.
CaptScarff
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CaptScarff »

Hi,

New here. First off, thanks for all the hard work you guys have done. I have been playing the game on and off for the last couple of months

I was wondering if there are developer instructions for downloading, compiling and running the game as I would like to poke around and see how it all works?

Thanks
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi CaptScarff, welcome to the forums!
Glad to see you're interested in helping out with the coding! I'll PM you about it.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

- creating a new civ selection voice clip for the Dominion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG4XmkATYAY
@ 0:48 ?

Anyone up for ripping that bit from the video and adjusting the volume to the other civ selection voice clips?

Or finding some other video/source, ofc.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

RedMatter.png
RedMatter.png (105.69 KiB) Viewed 9508 times
(moved here, to be on topic)

Added a SitRep when a civ starts synthesizing Red Matter (for the Supremacy victory condition).
Need help with the texts, they're lame right now.
We need 2 sets of texts, one for the civ that is synthesizing (attached pic) and one for the other civs. Each set should have a header (in white, will also show in the Summary screen) and details (in yellow).
Ideally we sould have such sets for each empire.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

All empires now have 2 construction ships. We need images, models and descriptions for the new ships (Cardassian, Klingon and Romulan).

We also need images for all the empires for the Intelligence screen: InternalSecurity, Espionage, Sabotage. The current ones are crappy and placeholders.
erazortt
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Playing as the Borg

Post by erazortt »

Now that I'm playing the game I have more comments, is there a bugtracker?

- I think it would be good if the moons whouldn't all look the same. That looks kind of hilarious when all are identical but with different colors. How much of a change would that be?

- is there the idea to be able to distribute the intel capacity like in BOTF1 in different direction (inner sec, spy, spoatge)?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

erazortt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:26 pm Now that I'm playing the game I have more comments, is there a bugtracker?
Yep. Here.

- I think it would be good if the moons whouldn't all look the same. That looks kind of hilarious when all are identical but with different colors. How much of a change would that be?
Depends on who's making the images :wink:
All you need to do is replace the images really.

- is there the idea to be able to distribute the intel capacity like in BOTF1 in different direction (inner sec, spy, spoatge)?
Yes. A bit of the ground work is already in place, but there's still a lot of work to be done.
The Intel screen is not really working yet.
Right now Intel is only used to defend against terrorism attacks, a random event. There's code for intel attacks too, but it's still a WiP - haven't touched it in a while, needs proper balancing.
erazortt
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by erazortt »

Depends on who's making the images :wink:
All you need to do is replace the images really.
Ok I will try my luck, there must be a ton of NASA pircutres. Also I think it would be good to have higher res than 16x16 since on 4K the big moons look kind of pixelated.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yep, check here:
\Resources\Images\Planets\Moons

If you can get some nicer pics, sure! :up:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Almost forgot, check also
\Resources\Images\Planets\Moons_alt
for an alternate, more colorful version of the moons. They're still 16x16, so they won't help with the 4K issue though.

(moved some posts from the Borg thread)

If you spot more images that should be improved for 4K, LMK please.
The game already checks for 4K for the cursor to be displayed (normal or 4K version).
erazortt
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by erazortt »

Hey again,

so I gave a shot to provide a suggestion of other moon pics. I used pictures of the Moon, Ganymede, Callisto, Europa and Io. I created an issue in the bug tracker:
https://bitbucket.org/mstrobel/supremacy/issues/480

Concerning other places where higher res pictures would be necessary: a very obvious place is the right click menu, because that is really low res on 4K with full screen. All the rest I have seen until now, was pretty decent (except of the moons, which we already talked about).

I just found the right menu images. I will give a try to double the resolution using a neuronal network method, or some pixel art resizing method (like HQX, XBR or such), perhaps I'm getting nice results.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey
The pics look nice, though in-game they lose their distinctiveness - at least the darker ones. But the images being so small, there's nothing we can really do.
Yes, it's true the game only uses 4 shapes. It's the max amount that is hard-coded, not the file names themselves, so it should be pretty easy to increase it - or even to use the available number of shapes. I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks!

Re the right click menu, do you mean only the default/Fed one, or all of them?
The default/Fed, we need to replace it anyway. It's missing a couple of buttons too. I do like it, but it needs to be upgraded to the quality of the Klingons/Cardassians/Borg. We also need a new one for the Dominion.
If you want to tackle that, that would be awesome!

As for your crash report, that's caused by a change I made to galaxy generation, to increase minimum distance between major race homesystems. Under certain circumstances (smaller [and apparently Spirals too] galaxies with many minors and/or fewer stars) the game cannot select a location for one of the homesystems; there's a bug in that code when trying to re-gen the galaxy, the previously created homesystems are not cleared and the game crashes trying to spawn them again (since they have already been created). Haven't had the time to fix that yet.

Return to “Supremacy”