What can I do to help

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: What can I do to help

Post by Iceman »

Oh, these are just pics I took off the net, as examples. I wasn´t suggesting they would be cartoony, I just couldn't find anything fitting. Currently we have photos of Federation people, which is kind of weird for civs other than the Feds. ;)
Generic icons would be best I think.

I'm talking about the images in
\Resources\UI\civ\IntelligenceScreen

those are 80x80 PNGs
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Or, I might just remove those pics altogether, they're not doing anything there anyway.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

The6the's comment about the diamond shaped insignia of the Dominion got me thinking, and I imagined something like this.
What do you guys think? Too corny? Disregard the 5 minute Paint job :wink:
Attachments
DominionGCM.PNG
DominionGCM.PNG (56.61 KiB) Viewed 7244 times
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

I like it. if you need me to vamp up all the race menus I can get cracking this weekend. on them.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Well, I'd say the priority would be to make the missing ones: Dominion, Romulans, and resized/updated Federation. And Ferengi if time permits.
By all means, get cracking! ;)
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

yes, already in the works. Fed: fed test:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hmm, it looks good, but I wonder if it fits the Fed's UI theme?
The insignia seems a little "dead" - I mean the colors. It doesn't really scream Federation. It lacks the brightness that all the (beautiful) insignias in the game have. It's kind of... stark? Don't know if I'm making any sense.
The horizontal layout is simple and clean, I wonder if it will "feel" right in-game. And if "mechanically" it won't force you to move the mouse too much to get to the outermost buttons - if that makes any sense.

TBH, I really like the current Fed GCM, it fits right in with the theme, it just needs to be resized, worked around the insignia, and added the missing buttons.

This is just my opinion though. Great job!
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Are those layers transparent or that colors are fixed? yellow(ish) for example?

EDIT:

Disregard, i woke awhile ago.
Ill agree with Ice, layout is good, but colors and insignia look a bit bleak

EDIT2:

Maybe combine insignias of intelligence agencies for that layout(s)?
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Intelligence_agency
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

I'm ok with keeping it to the TNG-VOY LCARS theme. I was unsure how you feel about newer JJ-STMOV/STD style LCARS
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

JJ who? Is he somehow related to ST? :mrgreen: joking.
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

HAHA
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Any of em are nice, theyll all fit. but i think mixing em would be a bad visual idea,...
should existing layout be changed than? to fit menus or vise-versa, is actually up to u and your time ^^

@iceman
Why you dont have(i havent checked this till now) onmouse hover over those icons to write(pop-up text) what they are?
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

Hey, why not use circles on the federation, I mean, the federation emblem is almost a circle (an ellipse).
In my opinion it would look quite cool, if one is following the ones presented here before.
The basic square LCARS looks a bit dull, circles or ellipses would make it distinctively different and recognizable.
Just suggesting, I hope some of my suggestions experience a breakthrough though :roll:
Impress the Empress.
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

its good idea,...lcars could be utilized like ones for klingons, but instead of plain color, image can be placed within
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I agree with Danijel, mixing different era-styled LCARS would be a bad idea.
Changing the current themes would be a lot of work, and something that I cannot spend time on right now. It's a lot easier to design the GCMs to fit the themes.

As for adding tooltips to the buttons, I'm not sure if it is possible, haven't checked yet. If it is, I will add them.

@Axis, sure, seems like a good idea. We could either use the6the's Borg GCM idea (replacing the buttons of course), or have the buttons in an ellipse around the insignia (not sure if that was your suggestion?), horizontally, in the usual order.
Oh, and I have to apologize to you, I totally forgot about the terraforming images... :oops:
I haven't yet had the time to look at that part of the code again. It shouldn't be too hard to implement, but I remember not being able to have a different number of textures for some of the planet types (I wanted to add an extra one for Barren, Arctic and whichever else for when planets are affected by a random event like Asteroid Impact and the like) - though this is different.
There are just so many things to do still...

Return to “Supremacy”