Combat

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Combat

Post by Iceman »

While implementing experience gained during combat, a few questions came up. I'd like to get some feedback, if anyone is interested in analyzing the pros and cons of different implementations. Or suggesting alternatives, obviously.
Here's how I've done it as a first approach, subject to changes and improvements.

Only combat ships get xp in combat. Non-combat ships, orbital batteries and stations don't.
I'd say the only issue here would be stations, if they should or shouldn't gain xp. My rationale for not having them gain xp was the way I implemented their rank - not getting into the formula I used, outposts start as veteran, and the best starbase is legendary. This way, upgrading stations has an additional benefit, by increasing their accuracy. (first implementation had them all at 100percent accuracy).

Experience is awarded with each weapon hitting a combat ship; weapon hits on non-combat ships, orbital batteries and stations net no xp.
Issues here could be stations again (rationale here was they're static targets, much like OBs), and xp being awarded for each hit vs for each combat ship that is destroyed.

So what do you guys think?
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re: Combat

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

How about experience XP for every shot evaded, or every shot that deals no damage? aka "We managed to make the enemy weapons not hit anything important..."
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Combat

Post by Iceman »

At this point, without a (proper/definitive) combat engine, we don't have the tools to determine what is an evaded shot, or a hit that deals no damage. Right now shots either hit or miss, doing full damage on hits, with experience level of the crew determining the chance to hit.
It's a good idea, but I guess we need to wait for a combat engine to implement something like this. We will need to keep an eye on the extra amount of xp gained though, not to make it too easy to go up in level.

--

I'd like to hear opinions on the differences to BotF's way. Would it be better to simply mimic BotF?

Return to “Supremacy”