Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Azenth
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Bugs in the last version

Post by Azenth »

Hello,

I played with some friends the latest version of Star Trek Supremacy (SupremacyTest_20150805.zip) at the weekend.

We detected some errors which makes it impossible to forward the game.

1) How can I enter a wormhole? Nobody of us were able to flight into a wormhole.

2) After the first 100 Turns we meet us and the big problems started. Nearly everytime our ships entered a fight again each others the game hangs after every participant selected a command. Normally the combat screen disappear, but not in this case. The combat screen was still present for both participants of the fight and all buttons were grey, because a command was already selected.

3) It seems that the small races don't grow. They stuck at a population of around 100.

4) How exactly agents works? We couldn't detect that they influence the minor races. Some of the agents were send to the minor races 80 or 90 turns ago, but nothing happened.

5) KI Major races. Because we were only three human players we added the klingons and the cardassians as KI. But we never meet them in the game. The federation player scouted the complete Alpha Quadrant, the Romulan and the Dominion player have done the same for their quadrants. Because we set the configuration to Canon, we were suprised to not find these two races. And we do not know why.

I hope this first small feedback can help you to increase the game performance of this nice but buggy game.

Greetz
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Bugs in the last version

Post by Iceman »

Hi Azenth. Thanks for the feedback.
1. Wormholes havent been implemented yet, theyre not much of a priority at this point.
4. Envoys are not affecting relations yet, thats one of my pending tasks which wasntworking properly.

2. Yeah, thats something IHavent managed to figure yet. Did you notice any pattern? Any specific set of orders?
Azenth
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Azenth »

Hello Iceman,

regarding the second point.

The situation was that we had two fights within one turn. One fight was Dominion vs Federation and the second fight was Dominion vs Romulans.

We reloaded the Game several times and the result changed every time. I will try to describe the different results.

1) 1. Dom vs Rom: both player have done their commands and everything worked
2. Dom vs Fed: both player have done their commands and the game hang

2) 1. now the first fight was against the Dom vs Fed: both player have done ther commands and the game hang

3) 1. now we tried to avoid the fight Dom vs Fed:
2. the fight Dom vs Rom take place and both player have done their commands and the game hang.

Than we don't tried it again.

Greetz
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Was there a specific order that you used every time, like Hail or Retreat?

3.thats due to starvation, but I havent seen any minor below 120, and those are the smaller homesystems. Primitives might have this issue too if they happen to get a small homesystem. I think I might have an idea about where the problem is,ill check the code.

5. Thats really strange. Never seen that happen.

(sorry about the mess, posting from my phone)
Azenth
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Azenth »

Hello Iceman,

both players used the Engange order. But maybe it is better that I somehow I can provide you the savegame and you can take a look into it?

Greetz
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

No need, thanks. Ive been trying to pinpoint that bug for some time, but no luck so far. There wasnt a station involved,was there?

3. Youre absolutely right, something is borked. Didnt have much time to test this build before release, sorry.

5. Did you set the remaining civs to Computer or Unassigned?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

5. You didn't by any chance click on the small yellow "radio buttons" besides those races, turning them off? In "hotseat MP" all the empires are present in a game.

I'll try to fix 2 and 3 asap.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi Azenth
2 and 3 should be fixed in the current build, which I just uploaded.
If you guys would care to check, and 5 too, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

Did you all remove the fuel from the ships; so they could travel outside the zone borders? Oh btw I'm back I love a lot of the up dates made since my days of working on the game.

Valcoren
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey Valcoren, welcome back!
If you want to get back working on the game, you're very welcome of course! We could use some more help. Take a look at the "What can I do to help" thread. What we need isn't limited to that, of course, any contribution is welcome.

Yes, the fuel extension to range was dropped, it didn't really make any sense. It was actually a duplication of the concept of range.
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

Yes, for sure I can take a look and see if I can lend a hand. I might be able to assist in some music, and art work areas. I'll ask some of my coding buddies if they are interested in the project.

I have to say that I really did love the fuel for the ships, it gave them a little more realism to their function. ( I think the idea was birthed from STVOY, because the ship had to rely on other resources to get back home.) I take it mothballing fleets met the same fate as the fueling. just out of curiosity is there an official list of dropped and added ideas?

Some of the things I noticed.
1: Fleet management is a nightmare on large maps: Just a suggestion that we might want to consider adding a fleet management system to the Intel window that tracks their movement, current sector they are in, ETA of destinations, and if possible ship manufacturing.
2: The letter "Y" is this a notification of a ship yard in the system?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Great, thanks!

Fuel wasn't dropped, it just doesn't extend range *beyond* a ship's Range value. Deuterium is still a resource in the game, and fleet movement consumes Deuterium just like it always did. Fuel tanks and a generic range stat are basically the same thing, so there was a duplication of effects here - which even led to some potential exploits.
Mothballing ships hasn't been implemented yet, and I'm not really sure how to do it (how the mechanic should be implemented) or even if there is any gameplay value to it.
I think I have a list on paper, I don't think there's anything available online though.

1: I've had that on my mind for a long time, actually, but haven't gotten around to implementing it. It would also be used to assign Officers (agents/personnel) to fleets.
2: Correct.

Return to “Supremacy”