Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Danijel »

@Alex, you can always use microsoft catalog and do it manually :p i advise updating your updater 1st, than ull have 3 update services and theyll care for each other very closely :D

@Dainara, im asking so i can check my version and see if issue persists(will still take few days, still no time), for other part youll have to google, but as usually any micro mayor update goes with hiccups and burps and bug correction for next several months :D
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Post by Iceman »

TODO: check if any of these issues (original topic), plus the UI lag and 3d ship models slower rotation happen in Win10 versions prior to v1803.
Dainara
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dainara »

Danijel wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 pm@Dainara, im asking so i can check my version and see if issue persists(will still take few days, still no time), for other part youll have to google, but as usually any micro mayor update goes with hiccups and burps and bug correction for next several months :D
True enough, I'll have look into it myself. I'll be away till September, so don't assume Microsoft has bumped me off for asking too many questions until at least then.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Danijel wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 pm @Alex, you can always use microsoft catalog and do it manually :p i advise updating your updater 1st, than ull have 3 update services and theyll care for each other very closely :D

@Dainara, im asking so i can check my version and see if issue persists(will still take few days, still no time), for other part youll have to google, but as usually any micro mayor update goes with hiccups and burps and bug correction for next several months :D
windows update doesnt offer it had to go to the catalogue so, yeah that route you just said, it crashed my computer. thank god for rollback.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

You need crashes?
Here you are...
Error.txt
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
I assume a translation is not necessary this time.

It follows one of my previous messages about scrolling problems.
It hits me quite often when I use my 10Y old laptop, but I am able to predict that and avoid a freezing (usually). In fact it is the first time I got an error log.
Usually it happens when I scroll the Build List. That part of the screen is compacted as not all lines are possible to be displayed. I cannot scroll up to the top of the list independently on using cursor or touch pad. After chosing some items to build that part of the screen is adjusted to the last possible line and after chosing the top visible one and if I press cursor up 3-4 times the game hangs - it is the momment I try to avoid by switching to other screen and go back after some other actions. It has never happened after scrolling the list down. I suppose a removal of redundant lines (one of build/upgrade building) could be connected.
The error happened also on my pc (24" full HD screen), but as there is more space for the build list it is really very rear.
There is an option with some scroll function of the list bar (like: scroll here), but usually it does not work.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

OK. I tried that and now I am able to repeat the error also on my PC in a windowed game. I will try to record that using ReLive function, but I have to install it first.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

here is a link with my error-make video
https://mega.nz/#!cPQGEQya!OvKPqGkZVEaN ... uedLlGRyb8
I tried to use keyboard and mouse to get to the top of the Build List
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It's good that the other crashes don't seem to be happening anymore.
This one is a pain too. Could it be related to there being upgrades available? Are the upgrades the only lines that are "unavailable"?
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I have just tried to get that error in a fresh colony, without the upograde lines, as I use Starting Facitities: Best parameter.
And the error is NOT related strictly to the upgrades.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ok, thx.
I'm not sure this is related to the game proper, but to Win10. Personally, I've never had it happen with any OS, including Win10 1803. I've managed to repro with 1903 though - that update seems to have created a bunch of issues in the game.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Updated the OT with relevant information taken from this thread and other threads.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

Thanks for updating the OT.

However - are there any hints where this is coming from ? I tried using "lower" ingame settings (like not flashing the stars etc.) this helped "a little"....though the lagginess, greyed buttons etc. are still there.

I mean it cant be a performance problem, as the game is "barely" using any resources right ?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The general lagginess seems to originate in XNA, as mentioned in this thread - I copied the relevant parts to the OT for easier reference. Disabling the 3D star animations (by renaming the Textures folder) seems to fix this issue.
The button related issues, I can't tell if it is the same problem or not.
All problems seem to be related to updating to 1903 though.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

Renaming the Textures folder results in the game crashing when trying to load a saved game...

Maybe I did something wrong when trying this solution, please describe exactly what to do to implement this workaround.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yes, if you already started a game with the textures, the game crashes. Can you try starting a new game just to test?

I'll see what I can do in the code to get around this issue.

Return to “Supremacy”