Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Danijel
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Post by Danijel »

Iceman wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:15 am Thanks for the info Danijel!
btw,..i ment that as os,..not game related ^^

Didnt started with testing game yet, maybe in 2 weeks or so, waiting hardware to arrive ^^
Iceman
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Craig Poole wrote: Unfortunately, when clicking on some ships it crashed the whole game. I've only tested it with the Federation faction and before it was only doing it when you double-clicked on the construction ship however it just crashed again when I double-clicked on a Cruiser 5. It doesn't always happen but most of the time with the Construction ship the game crashes back to desktop without an error message.
Craig Poole wrote:I think I’ve found a work around for the crashing bug I mentioned earlier. Open the game with Compatability Windows 7 on. I’ve clicked on so many ships it should have crashed multiple times by now but it hasn’t.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

6 - the OK button in the shipbuiding screen is grayed out
(workaround: double-click the ship)
Had this happen in Windows 10 Pro (1903 build) so I double clicked to build a surveyor I.
Iceman wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm
Craig Poole wrote: Unfortunately, when clicking on some ships it crashed the whole game. I've only tested it with the Federation faction and before it was only doing it when you double-clicked on the construction ship however it just crashed again when I double-clicked on a Cruiser 5. It doesn't always happen but most of the time with the Construction ship the game crashes back to desktop without an error message.
Craig Poole wrote:I think I’ve found a work around for the crashing bug I mentioned earlier. Open the game with Compatability Windows 7 on. I’ve clicked on so many ships it should have crashed multiple times by now but it hasn’t.
Did this before I started the game but double clicking on before mentioned surveyor I game CTD. Playing as Feds, huge galaxy, slowest tech, early start, many minors, playable Borg. I think was turn 32. Just putting this out there. Let me know if you need further info :smile:
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

So removing win7 comp seemed to fix the CTD. I figured running the game in win7 comp was a current issue. Maybe I was just unlucky.
Iceman
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It rarely crashes for me, but I just found a workaround, albeit a silly one. But it seems to always work.
I'm playing the game on fullscreen mode.
If I have another window open in the background (say Notepad), and I click the build button and select a ship and the button is grayed out, I ALT+TAB to the other window (Np in this case) - and this is the important part - and I change its status (from maximized to not maximized, or the other way around) and then ALT+TAB back to the game, the button is active again.
Yes, silly and not very handy, but until we get that fixed, it's an alternative.

It's a shame hitting Enter doesn't work...

BTW, hitting a letter key will select the first ship in the build list whose name starts with that letter. Just a curiosity.
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Interesting. I'm curious how you came to find that workaround lol. Not sure if I need it because I've double clicked multiple ships from scouts to cruisers to build them and no crash. I did do the old "run as administrator" bit to start the exe and *knocks on wood* that seemed to do the trick for me *shrugs*
Iceman
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Iceman »

By accident... I mean, because I'm really smart and all that. :cool:

But yeah, it is rare for this to happen. Might be something like clicking too fast or misclicking or something.

Return to “Supremacy”