Upgrade Stations

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Upgrade Stations

Post by Iceman »

Ok, now that upgrades are implemented, I'd like to get a feel of how people would like them to work.

Currently, you can only build the best station type available (be it an Outpost or a Starbase). This is kind of awkward because at higher levels you cannot quick build an outpost to claim a sector (since a starbase design has made it obsolete).

The 2 options I see are:

1) OP1 > OP2 > SB1 > SB2

2) any OP > any SB

I'm inclined to do #1 because it makes construction ships more useful (or useful for longer), and it makes the top stabase design cost 4 construction ships total. The downside is it'll take quite a long amount of time to get to a SB2.

What do you guys think?
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Upgrade Stations

Post by Martok »

I'll ask the stupid/obvious question: Why force the player to build only the best station type?

Why can't they simply construct an Outpost first, and then upgrade to a Starbase later if they so choose? Even if a player had to build the best Outpost design available to them, that would still only require two transports, and take less time, yes?
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yep, hence the 2 options I lined out. Other options might be proposed, of course!

The reason it currently is implemented the way you described (building only the latest version) is upgrading stations was not implemented yet, so you had to stick to whichever station type you chose for a particular sector *with th option to scrap it later and build a more advanced one(.
Now that upgrading is implemented, we have to think about which option is best.

I assume you favor #2 then? Works for me.
Anyone else have an opinion or preference?
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Post by redhat1968 »

Thanks Iceman for all your hard work. You too Martok. I would vote for option #2
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks redhat!
I'm trying to get the pre-reqs to work correctly, there's a smallish issue I need to fix.
wewantcaptaindan
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by wewantcaptaindan »

Why not have a mix of the two? First you build the best available OP, then you can upgrade to the best available SB. Starting from OP1 seems kinda silly if you've already unlocked OP2.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's what has already been implemented for the next build ;) You build the best OP and then upgrade to the best SB. Option #2.

The rationale behind option #1 was that OP2 requires a lot more resources than OP1, approx x2, and thus "should" cost 2 construction ships (for more [scavenged] hull and weapons and whatnot). And also to make construction ships more useful/needed.
Same for OP2 vs SB1 and SB2 vs SB1.

Return to “Supremacy”