Game crashes upon map generation

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Game crashes upon map generation

Post by Vladimir »

1. I did not see an autosave located in the main folder, assuming it would be named as such (or save etc) and in that folder.

2. I have not tried compatibility as you state it works fine under windows 7, however I can. I also have not tried an 'official' clean boot, but I have done everything else (and I don't/won't use any third party driver 'updater'). I could try a clean boot maybe over the weekend, for testing purposes; but I will start with compatibility options when I have time and then let you know the outcome.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Savegames are not stored in the game's folder. Should be in something like:

C:\ (...) \AppData\Local\Star Trek Supremacy\Saved Games

But you can check if there is an autosave by selecting Load Game and see if there's any savegame to be loaded. If it's a clean install, if anything, there should only be the autosave - but I think autosaving only kicks in after you end turn(s).
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

When I try to load a game, there is nothing to select from.
I also found the save game folder, it is empty.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yeah, since no turn had been processed yet.
Check your PM.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Changing compatibility to XP SP3 did the trick!
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Yes, it did. Just to confirm for anyone reading... I got playing in my limited free time (finally), and as such forgot to politely respond.
I had no further issues with the game until turn 77, per my PM to you. You stated a Comet Strike (I assume turn event) caused the issue, so I seem to have prevailed against the Topic's issues, thanks again!

Other Thoughts: I really was just trying to exhaust all options of NOT using Compatibility since you stated you had no issues with it on Win 7x64 - I am still curious as to why...
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yep, the game crashed when a Comet Strike hit a minor race's homeworld that was a member of your empire, annihilating that minor - the crash is not related to the event itself, but to the SitRep that is sent to all civs informing about it. I'll take a look at it asap (though I think I have already improved that code since the last release, can't recall).

It is strange, yes. I just "installed" the game on a Win10 machine, and after installing the pre-reqs, everything went smoothly.
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Iceman, whats ur win10 version at the time of test?
did you try to update it to 1803 or whatever is the latest one?
when i was testing it last time, game worked like a charm on win10 64bit, for over 150turns. but as soon as i updated win10 to latest version, game became crashable, with all those invisible/grayed buttons,etc.
Do you want a test on win 2016? :D
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Pro 1803.
I havenºt tested the game thoroughly in that machine, though. Of all the identified issues, I only bumped into one - the Send button in the Diplo screen IIRC.

Sure, thatºd be cool!

Glad to see you back.

Return to “Supremacy”