Game crashes upon map generation

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Game crashes upon map generation

Post by Vladimir »

I remember seeing you working on this YEARS ago... I was brought back to BotF and this forum only recently after procuring and playing the new board game STAR TREK: ASCENDANCY; and realizing some of the similarities (OK, maybe only races, as military is really dumbed down as it is a board game) to BotF - which ignited a past flame in me to play again. Upon visiting the forums I also saw there was apparently some substantial progress to this game, and I HAD to try it out...

Anyway, I dl'ed 'SupremacyTest_20180727' version, unzipped and ran the exe. Tbh, it was a long day and after I saw it loaded ok, I went to bed. It sat two days until I finally got back to it, and then I tried to load a game. I made some various selections, and started. Map was generated, I got about a second to view the game screen that was generated before the window went black and windows reported an error, to which it was attempting to find a solution, then the game closed, back to desktop. I tried again a few times, even with just selecting everything at default value with the exact same outcome.

I have AS ROCK Z-75 Pro 3 mobo w/ i7-3770K (@4.2GHz); 16 GiB RAM; 500 GB SSD (as well as several SATA II & III hdd's); Radeon RX 560; running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
I get no 'actual' error, and do not know if and where a log is kept. Appreciate any ideas you might have, and if you need more info just ask. very excited to see this work after all these years.

EDIT: I ran it again, and was a little more patient until it wanted to send a report to MS, tracked the temp files down and saved them. Don't know if that will help, but the files windows was going to send to MS about the error it encountered are now attached (except the .mdmp file).
Attachments
WER754D.tmp.appcompat.txt
(92.67 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
WER55AB.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
(2.89 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Game crashes upon map generation

Post by Iceman »

Hey Vladimir.
I'm glad you tried Supremacy! It's a shame you couldn't actually get to play...

My first question, if I may, is do you have all the pre-requisites installed? See here:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3366

The logs are in the game's main folder, where all the DLLs and the EXE are. There are 4 logs, but the relevant ones should be Error.txt and Log.txt for the majority of the cases.

It might be an XNA issue with the rendering of the 3D stars, if you're missing one of the pre-reqs. If not, we'll have to figure out what the issue is.
I'll take a look at the files you posted.

Thanks! And LMK how it goes please.
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Concerning the pre-requisites: I have all listed, although some of the versions I have installed are higher/later versions then what you list. Please confirm this is acceptable - I know sometimes newer versions will lose some functionality of older versions. To confirm/recap:

- DirectX 9 or higher - DirectX 11 installed;
- DirectX 9-compatible video card with Pixel Shader 2.0+ and Vertex Shader 1.1+ support - Radeon RX 560 - I hope it is not new enough that maybe it will not handle legacy functionality?
- Desktop resolution of at least 1024x768 (1280x768 or higher is strongly recommended) - 1920 x 1080
- Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Unsure how to verify this
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - Check, three versions of x86 & two of x64 (5 versions of '08 total)
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable - Check, one version each of x86 & x64
- Microsoft XNA Framework 3.1 Redistributable - Check, but version 4.0
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - I notice you have this listed as well as the newer version below, I tried to dl this and install it even though I have a newer version. It seemed to do nothing... literally
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 - Version 4.7.2 installed
(note: you want the full framework, not the "Client Profile"; after it's installed, you should see both the "Client Profile" and "Extended Profile" listed in your control panel. Also note that the latest version of .Net is 4.5, and future game versions *might* need the more recent versions) - I installed the latest version to date, 4.7.2, and noted nothing about different profiles either during installation or in programs/features.

As for the logs, Error.txt is empty, Log.txt is attached.

Something else maybe I should mention now that I think about it, I have a dual monitor setup, the main monitor runs on the discreet card, and the second on the HD-4000 on the processor. All games play on the 'main' monitor. I have attached a SS of the error as it is received (showing a bit of the second monitor as well, which is what made me think of including that info) and also a DxDiag report, in case that is useful in any way.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(29.11 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
SS of Supremacy Crash.jpg
SS of Supremacy Crash.jpg (617.56 KiB) Viewed 5418 times
Log.txt
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It doesn't seem to be related to the pre-reqs, as the game generates the galaxy fully and creates the UI. Is it after the galaxy map is created that you get the error?

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - I notice you have this listed as well as the newer version below, I tried to dl this and install it even though I have a newer version. It seemed to do nothing... literally
Notice that 4.0 or higher does not replace 3.5, so it is still required.
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Yes, per the screen shot, you can see the galaxy, but about a second after that screen is generated the error pops up.
I am trying to download .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 again, and see if that helps (231 MB), maybe the previous dl was in error somehow - I see no other reason it would simply 'do nothing'...
OK... so I installed 3.5 SP1 'again', it extracted files, then windows advised it may not have installed correctly, so I re-installed using 'recommended settings'. Still seems like all it did was extract, and nothing is showing in Control Panel... I am miffed...

EDIT: Google yielded this:

How can I install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 7?
Note: The same steps work for Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Click Start -> Control Panel.
Click Programs.
Click Turn Windows features on or off.
Click the checkbox next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.
You will see the checkbox become filled.
Click OK.
Wait for Windows to complete the operation.

I followed the steps above, and the checkbox was filled. Not sure what the problem is...
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hmmm...

Might it be related to where you installed the game? Admin rights and such.
My Win7 machine runs the game just fine.

Also, maybe try to (download and ) install the game again?
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Right now it is just sitting on my desktop, however I will re-dl it and move it to D: - there should be no rights issues there. And to be clear, when you say install, you simply mean extract, and run executable, correct? As this seems to need extracted and ran only, there is no formal installation.

EDIT: Dl'ed again, extracted in D: , Rebooted pc, ran as admin, same result, although it made it almost three seconds this time, some music started to play, then same 'error'.
Upon rebooting, I am getting notification of a new graphics driver, I will install it, then turn settings of game down to minimum and see what that yields.
Last edited by Vladimir on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yep, extract and run.

No logs this time either?
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

Error is empty, log.txt attached, although it looks same/similar as the last one
Attachments
Log.txt
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

"Upon rebooting, I am getting notification of a new graphics driver, I will install it, then turn settings of game down to minimum and see what that yields."

Yeah, none of this helped... Any other ideas?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Nope...
That's really weird, the new gfx driver thingy...
You mean you disabled antialiasing, and animations, and all other options, right?
Can you try to run it with only one monitor / gfx card?

Do you have any other machine in which to test the game on?
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

I could try disabling the second monitor, it's not complicated - just unplug it lol. I only have one graphics card, the second monitor is ran from the built in graphics on my CPU.
Yes, I unchecked all items under graphics settings.
Now, something I find odd; I also tried dl'ing the second most recent version under dl's, deleted the prior install; and when I ran it, it still had the options all unchecked and the sound turned down... This was a 'new install', how would it be remembering my options?
I have another machine(s), but it(they) is running Widows 10 :(

EDIT: Removed second monitor and rebooted. No change. Stepping away from this for a bit as I am getting frustrated, check back later, thanks for trying though - I do appreciate it.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The game keeps the settings stored somewhere, but if it was a different version/build, I think it should revert to the default settings... odd.

Does the game run on your Win10 machine(s)? Granted it does have the Win10 specific issues, but if it would run, it would be a good sign ;)

:( Ok, LMK if anything changes please.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Stupid question to which I already know the answer, but there was no autosave created, right?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Return to “Supremacy”