Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

SupremacyTest_20181019

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi Iceman,

Firstly, let me apologise for not being in touch for a good long time. I have had some really difficult times this year and haven't had much time to play.

That being said, I wanted to try out your newest version but for some reason I am unable open the zip file. I thought it might my computer but I tried opening an old version zip file and had no problems. When I try to unzip the folder it claims there are no files to unzip. If I try to open the file in a new window it claims that the folder location is invalid. Could you have a look and see if there is a problem with the file?

Thanks mate, and keep up the good work. From what I've read recently about ship upgrades it looks great. I want to offer a suggestion but, as I haven't played it for some time, it may already have either been suggested or even implemented.

Here goes anyway, I was thinking along the lines of planetary system upgrades. In the original game each system was able to produce all the single facilities and ships that the empire technology science allowed it to produce. It didn't matter what level the system was at. Let me explain what I mean.

Let's say that you are playing as the Federation and your Technology Science level is 7 across the board. When you colonise a new system that system can produce everything that is allowed at level 7, even though the system infrastructure level is 1.

My thought is each system should only be allowed to build items that are allowed by its current infrastructure level. So, to extend the idea, when you colonise a new system you build up the required number of food, manufacturing, and power resources (lets say 20 of each). At level 1 you can build all facilities that can be built at tech level 1. If you want to build more advanced facilities then you have to upgrade all your food, manufacturing, and power infrastructure to support the advanced facilities.

What do you think?

Borealis999
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: SupremacyTest_20181019

Post by Iceman »

I just tried to download the game and unzip it, and everything went well. Not sure what the problem you're having might be?
Do you have access to another computer so that you can try to download the game and copy it to your computer using a flash drive or something?

As for your suggestion, I'm not sure it would work very well. It assumes you are advancing all tech areas simultaneously/uniformly, which might not be the case. If my Propulsion level is much lower than my Energy level for instance, my colony(s) are being held back in building +Energy structures because of a tech area that is not even a requirement for their construction.
The principle is actually interesting, but I'm not sure the practical effect would be the desired one.

The way BotF handles Technology is not really the best, I much prefer a tech-tree system - Mike and I had plans to find a way to switch to a tech-tree like a million years ago, but we never really had the time for it.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Re: SupremacyTest_20181019

Post by Borealis999 »

I'll try it again some other time. It's late and the missus is not happy I'm still playing on my laptop, lol.

It was an idea. I wasn't sure, exactly, how it could be implemented but It just seemed to be a little unrealistic to have just settled into a new system with the ability to produce top-of-the-range tech with the bare minimum of resources.

The tech-tree system.... that's like researching the technology itself instead of researching the constituent parts to make the tech..... Am I right? If so, I think that would work well.

Return to “Supremacy”