Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Suggestions

Post by Danijel »

For lang edit,..
Iceman, how exactly game loads translated.txt?

Cpt. Deadpool, you will need(depending on Icemans answer) to change only words in your en.txt, but you will need to rename it to;
us.txt
or
en-us.txt
or similar.
Ie, croatian translation is hr.txt, en.txt should stay as is and shouldnt be edited since thats default en-uk actually(should be added to more, Microsoft way of langs, it uses default os area i think)
Off Topic
Example; en.txt

[GAME_NAME]
Star Trek: Supremacy

[MAIN_MENU_CONTINUE]
_CONTINUE

[MAIN_MENU_SINGLE_PLAYER]
S_INGLE PLAYER

[GAME_NAME]
Zvjezdane Staze : Nadmoć

[MAIN_MENU_CONTINUE]
_NASTAVI

[MAIN_MENU_SINGLE_PLAYER]
JEDAN IGRAč
@Iceman, whats "_" for?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

@Iceman, whats "_" for?
The character next to the undescore is a hotkey for that button/function. C for continue, etc.
In the same menu you obviously shouldn't have several buttons with the same hotkey, that's why I is used for Single Player.

Iceman, how exactly game loads translated.txt?
I think it's the ResourceManager that loads the text file - currently it's hardcoded to load en.txt only, but we need to change that to have some form of selecting language in the main menu.
When you have some free time, want to look into it? ;)

Cpt. Deadpool, you will need(depending on Icemans answer) to change only words in your en.txt, but you will need to rename it to;
There are other files with text that need to be changed, in the folders I mentioned above.
At some point I think Mike started using XAMLs instead of en.txt at least for some particular sets of strings. They have a field specifying the language, currently only "en" is available.
See the Text folder, with labels and tooltips for the Assets screen, Colony screen, System Assault screen, etc.
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Iceman wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:04 am I think it's the ResourceManager that loads the text file - currently it's hardcoded to load en.txt only, but we need to change that to have some form of selecting language in the main menu.
When you have some free time, want to look into it?
nonono,..u got that part wrong ^^

it does,..all i need to do is put my hr.txt where en.txt is,...since my keyboard is croatian, it will auto load croatian language, i have to force en.txt usage(somewhere) if i want it on eng. youll have to check that part, or tell me where it is and ill check it, but its no strictly bonded to en.txt

just like this
lang.jpg
lang.jpg (529.03 KiB) Viewed 12587 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Oh, cool, never really checked that. Check your PM.
What about the text in the XAMLs?
You guys also have a few special characters, those are kind of a problem...
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Rly not sure,...you can expand it, i rly doubt Mike was going into translating from single point to trow it allover the xamls,...considering that stringstable calls for;

private enum ReadState
{
ReadKey, <-----this be [GAME_NAME]
ReadValue <-----Star Trek: Supremacy
}

if im not wrong ^^ you should be able to add keys (to what i know u did for some variables) and their respective values to any "word" ingame

Edit:
Chars are issue for your keyb,...but its not like you should be one translating it, in case of croatian, i guess you should send me "new".txt and i should fix/update it :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Like I said, the XMALs do pull the strings according to lang.

Code: Select all

<LocalizedStringValue Language="en" Text="COLONIES" />
So I do think he was going for a more "focused" localization structure - at the expense of spreading it all out like you mentioned, but gaining in organization I guess. This is all guesswork though.

Yep, you can localize just about anything (the enums I guess will require more work). Since I'm always adding more stuff (new SitReps, dialogs, etc), it's not easy to do the localizations since the files are always changing. Notepad++ with Compare plugin is your friend though ;)

Oh, and I'm not translating anything, I have enough work as it is :D Maybe to portuguese (the original/european version), one day. I hate games in portuguese though, it just doesn't feel right. I always play games in english.
Cpt. Deadpool
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Cpt. Deadpool »

my bad. fixed it
Cpt. Deadpool
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Cpt. Deadpool »

Words "fixed" for American viewers: Honor, Center, Labor. Any others?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I think there are a couple of others, can't recall the words themselves but I think it was the L vs LL or R vs RR difference.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Suggestion for the Orbital Batteries as a possible stop-gap until that bug is plugged: Make it like the shields: One Building Per x units of Pop, that produces X defense per X Tech Level? sub-100 pop systems will be not as well defended, but large systems would have tremendous levels of defenses (shields and OB's) the building item then would be "Orbital Battery Network".
Maybe have a downside to them being active (same to the shields?) - basically weapons and shields shouldn't be on all the time. maybe have them consume Deuterium for their internal power sources.

In this way, I think "1 per 50 pop" would make sense - so smaller systems *have* a non-ship defense, and alter the shields to the same but half-price, half-power consumption. BOTH with Deuterium consumption when powered (like... ASDB? one of the research bonus buildings)

I'll be honest, I would much prefer this way than the Current/original BOTF way of sort of unlimited numbers to build with only limited number to power based on how much energy can be produced.

Oh... and Maybe a smaller but native-system version of the starfleet academy/other races variations. so Sol would have the Academy, but other systems would have a "Starfleet Academy Campus" or "-Annex", with a lower crew training bonus. (but built cheaper, and lower power consumption)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

Moved your post here, Alex.
AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:08 pm Suggestion for the Orbital Batteries as a possible stop-gap until that bug is plugged: Make it like the shields: One Building Per x units of Pop,
The AI already does this. It'll only build 1 OB per 50 pop, max.
I can look into enforcing this for the human players too.

Maybe have a downside to them being active (same to the shields?) - basically weapons and shields shouldn't be on all the time. maybe have them consume Deuterium for their internal power sources.
They do have the energy cost, but I know what you mean.
In previous releases I had all OBs (active or inactive) cost 1 credit each per turn, as a downside of building boatloads of them. I think I removed that some time ago, can't recall.

BOTH with Deuterium consumption when powered (like... ASDB? one of the research bonus buildings)
Hmmm, might be an interesting idea.
I'd like to hear the opinions of other people. Would anyone else like to chime in?

Oh... and Maybe a smaller but native-system version of the starfleet academy/other races variations. so Sol would have the Academy, but other systems would have a "Starfleet Academy Campus" or "-Annex", with a lower crew training bonus. (but built cheaper, and lower power consumption)
This I'm not so sure about. Some minor races have an academy type building, which makes them very appealing - this importance might be diluted if you could build academies (even less effective ones) in all your colonies.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

maybe not every, but as a requirement: Terran Planet?
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

An old idea :
Add a manned culture building type to the game, like Holodeck, holosuite, Borg might have Unimatrix 0, etc.
for adding morale points.

Nevermind actually, I don't know what was I thinking, manned holosuites while others are working in factories and farms, what the ef? :lol:

I guess there are unmanned morale boosting buildings.
Impress the Empress.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

One from BOTF-
When you retire in BOTF, you get that graph by turns showing how you did up until you retired. Could that be something we could have in supremacy? I always thought that was cool. It let you know where and when you went wrong (if it wasn't already clear)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yes, there should be something like that. I'm glad you brought it up, though it is something that is implicitly needed, it is not in the issue tracker... :up:

Return to “Supremacy”