Poll: placement of Delete button

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Poll: placement of Delete button

Post by Iceman »

So, me and Danijel have been trying to get a good placement for the Delete button in the Load/Save screen.
Which one do you like the best? Please reply with the name of the file, so that there is no ambiguity.

Danijel doesn't like Delete.png, and with Delete1.png I keep hitting Delete instead of Cancel... :roll: (there is a confirmation dialog, ofc).

Thanks in advance!

Results so far:

Delete.png: Martok
Delete1.png: Danijel, (Martok)
Delete4.png: thunderchero, (Danijel), Axis, SeaBee-T
Attachments
Delete.png
Delete.png (110.66 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
Delete1.png
Delete1.png (106.19 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
Delete2.png
Delete2.png (104.07 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
Delete3.png
Delete3.png (101.79 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Poll: placement of Delete button

Post by thunderchero »

none of the above, I suggest the 4th image, but switch load and delete? since load is most commonly selected it should be the largest.

also from images when "auto save" is selected I would disable (grayout) delete button?
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

There is one more option, that im sure Iceman wont/desnt like :D
Making a separate "delete dialog" with 3 buttons,...per pick delete, cancel and delete all,...along with confirmation dialog(s) :)
As of where to place that button "trigger" positions,main menu or from load/save dialogs as they are set up atm

i vote for;
Delete1.png

5th(Delete4.png) option is also good, idk why we didnt think of that combo also
Attachments
Delete4.png
Delete4.png (106.06 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Or Delete1.png with Load and Delete swapped? The Load button on the right is probably more intuitive?

Delete4.png works too (I kind of dislike the oversized button, but it's functionally more efficient I agree). Thanks TC and Danijel!
Let's wait for some more feedback.

As for
also from images when "auto save" is selected I would disable (grayout) delete button?
will look into it, good idea.
Making a separate "delete dialog" with 3 buttons,...per pick delete, cancel and delete all,...along with confirmation dialog(s) :)
As of where to place that button "trigger" positions,main menu or from load/save dialogs as they are set up atm
I had actualy thought about a Delete All button to use your code :wink: but it would be one more button in there.
A separate dialog, it's kind of odd to have a button for something not directly related to the game in the Main Menu. It's feasibl, ofc, but it seems like a waste - of real estate in the main menu screen, of code (addiign nother dialog for something that can be accomplished in already existing dialogs), etc.
But I'm open to such suggestions ofc.

Thanks guys! :up:
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Layout #1 is my first choice, with Layout #2 being my 2nd. I like those two the best since the "Delete" button is further away from the Save & Load buttons, which I think will help prevent accidentally deleting saved games.

Additionally/alternatively, you might want to consider adding a "Confirm?" pop-up button when deleting a saved game (which is perhaps what Danijel was referring to?). It's a common feature on other games, and again would go a long way towards preventing players from accidentally deleting a game they didn't mean to.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Confirmation dialog is already in place, i was referring to,
when you click on delete button in load or save screen,
old load/save dialog would close
and new delete dialog would open, with 3 buttons; delete ,delete all and cancel. ofc with confirmations dialogs for delete and delete all would be inplace :)

but while we debate bout this, im thinking about iceman and his fingers,...tapping :D
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi Martok.
Thanks for your input! By layout #1 and #2 you mean images Delete.png and Delete1.png?
If not, can you please indicate the name of the image please? So therer's no ambiguity.

I'm cool, Danijel, whatever the majority finds best, I'll implement. :wink: Actually, I have already implemented all versions for Load, I just need to pick one of the files and change Save.
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

I vote for Delete4.png, cancel should be the button which is located farthest away from selections.
Impress the Empress.
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Would prefer Delete4 myself as well, makes sense to me to show the primary function of the window as a large "Load" button.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks guys. I updated the OT with the results so far, it seems Delete4 is ahead for now. Will wait for some more input, while I work on other stuff.

Return to “Supremacy”