Terraforming ideas

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Terraforming ideas

Post by Valcoren »

I have been looking at the idea of terraforming and I think the game should have two kinds of terraformation. Planetary terraforming like the Genesis project and Modular terraforming as to what we usually see in Star Trek. Modular terraforming would not change the class type of the planet, but Planetary scale terraforming should change the planet to support its new matrix. Changing it by player's choice.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Been awhile since I played. How are you handling terraforming?
Had this idea:
So colony ships create small-capacity colonies on other planets, So regardless, a system without an M-class can be colonised (important for the next bit)

Then in the system screen, you 'build' a terraforming/expansion project. Basically it acts like the moons: X population capacity per size.

So colony ships might establish a 'dome' colony, then you build additional domes, with a final one that acts as "oh yeah mars now has its own atmosphere and stuff so not limited to domes anymore yay." AKA 'Genesis Device'.

Ex. Barren: (Small/medium/large)
On colonisation: Pop 25/50/75
Dome-Expansion: Pop 40/80/120 (60% increase)
Dome-Expansion 2: 60/120/180 (50% increase from DE1. +140% from base colony size)
Genesis: 100/200/300 - expensive, eats into dilithium reserves?

just an idea.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Mike actually had thought of having terraforming as a build project, that you would build on a colony to transform a planet to a better environment.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Maybe you could code for "Terraformed/non-terraformed" - so some are available regardless, some one show up once you terraformed, and some are only buildable for non-terraformed, and terraforming destroys the buildings that aren't usable on terraformed planets.

Example I just thought of because of something else:
A Prison complex located on a unterraformed planet, part of the security of the prison is that the air outside is toxic, poisonous whatever, but then someone terraforms that planet and during the process the prison is destroyed (think the concerns behind Genesis, ' the candidate has to be lifeless, as anything that was already there would be destroyed')
Meanwhile, that automated mining structure extracting x resource was built before the terraforming was done, and was built already shielded so the terraforming process didn't do a thing to it, and now it can be expanded into a not-fully-only-mostly-automated mining complex.

Return to “Supremacy”