Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: 3D models and textures tutorial

Post by Danijel »

Lets see how this turns out,...xna 3.1 is still needed

Supremacy XNA exporter

it will do auto rename file and folder
it should also collect all opened .x files into its root directory and arrange them in own folders according to name.x
crazyewok
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crazyewok »

Bingo!

It works!
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

nice :)
there is huge difference in how this one and old one worked. atm im trying to implement model rotation on mouse and few other things "preview" related(looking to make it load xnb's also),...if only i get Iceman around ^^

i uploaded last one that has only 2 files in root and 2 dir's...you can also keep opening files with it(ctrl+o), it doesnt care anymore where file.x or exe location is, it will always collect all data into own root and output it as file.x name is, both goes for folder and model.xnb(all .x names will output in lowercase now)

while waiting for access to forum :D tested one thing,...
i took about 15 folders with x models and their images,...
i than copied all of x's and images into single newfolder...
ran exporter and opened them one by one(gotta fix this for mass export)...
each of them generated own folder and took only images that only that model uses :)

easy trick for more than one export and also easy to delete that folder once used

Supremacy XNA Exporter :roll:
crazyewok
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crazyewok »

Ok....new issue. It comes up in the exporter fine.....in game it comes out as a jumbled mess....
Attachments
Neptune class.jpg
Neptune class.jpg (393.32 KiB) Viewed 9617 times
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Can you clarify that?

tried on my side, exports properly,...is your model braking along the axis?
if it does, youll have to;
align all object axis
or
mend them all in one(this takes about 4 secs) tho pivot centering takes a wee bit more

you still need to figure how y and z axis are twisted, my models are all aligned to it, so they output properly in Supremacy viewer
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Some ships

X files
try with these and check how they turn out in Supremacy?
crazyewok
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crazyewok »

Danijel wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:46 pm Can you clarify that?

tried on my side, exports properly,...is your model braking along the axis?
if it does, youll have to;
align all object axis
or
mend them all in one(this takes about 4 secs) tho pivot centering takes a wee bit more

you still need to figure how y and z axis are twisted, my models are all aligned to it, so they output properly in Supremacy viewer
Silly question.... how do you adjust the axis?
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

in 3dmax,...youll have to rotate axis there,...but not ship model axis, those should all be on 0 (place,scale and rotation),...
you must rotate pivot axis alone
pivotrot.JPG
pivotrot.JPG (180.26 KiB) Viewed 9599 times
Last edited by Danijel on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyewok
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crazyewok »

Ok I am setting the axis to 0 so the object is centered on 0. The model is now just not loading in game. It all looks ok in the exportor but just does not load in game.

What do you mean by rotate the axis but not the ship model?

I would send you the files but the site wont let me :mad:
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

check previous image what i have selected on right side while model is selected...

you have 2 "types" of axis for element(s) one is from element, and 2nd is pivot(aka dummy)

if you have def 3ds max options with cube directions(cube in top-right in each viewport for camera, with named sides, front, top, left, etc...)
turn MODEL(and all of its parts) according to that cube so front is front and right side is right ^^ (check cube and model on left side of image)
than on right side in 3ds find Hierarchy(orange square) and align model to map(model should be at 0,0,0 location)
than fix pivot rotation, thats also the thing bothering you, check right side of image for more details and blue selected options under "Adjust Pivot" (Note, they cant be both selected)
Red=Forward
Green=Left
pivotrot2.JPG
pivotrot2.JPG (199.67 KiB) Viewed 9592 times

2nd issue,...if exporter showed model but model doesnt load ingame, means that model is too big
Last edited by Danijel on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyewok
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crazyewok »

Danijel wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:52 am check previous image what i have selected on right side while model is selected...

you have 2 "types" of axis for element(s) one is from element, and 2nd is pivot(aka dummy)

if you have def 3ds max options with cube directions(cube in top-right in each viewport for camera, with named sides, front, top, left, etc...)
turn MODEL(and all of its parts) according to that cube so front is front and right side is right ^^ (check cube and model on left side of image)
than on right side in 3ds find Hierarchy(orange square) and align model to map(model should be at 0,0,0 location)
than fix pivot rotation, thats also the thing bothering you, check right side of image for more details and blue selected options under "Adjust Pivot" (Note, they cant be both selected)
pivotrot2.JPG

2nd issue,...if exporter showed model but model doesnt load ingame, means that model is too big
Thanks, I will check that out next weekend.

I am used to using 3dmax for 3d printing so not use to using it this way.

I have added in images for all ships now which plays rather well on a huge map on slow rec settings.
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Most progs use standard front side,...some turn that around for 180degs,...but microsoft is special, they went on whole new lvl with it :D

Updated exporter also,...shouldn't crash at all now, and it must export all into root where it is(exporter).
Still not advisable to run conversion within folders who are located in root folder where exe is,..no errors, just nuisances :)
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Updated tutorial
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Awesome tutorial Danijel! You rock.

I see you summoned me a couple of times in this thread, do you need anything from me specifically? Besides what we discussed by mail.

Suggestion: maybe add the Exporter version to the window's header, and/or in an About menu, and/or the splash screen?

When adding tech objects to the game, also edit the following files:

@\Resources\Data\TechTrees.xml - to add the object to the civ's techtree
@\Resources\Data\TextDatabase.xml - to add a description for the object (not mandatory)
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Iceman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 am Awesome tutorial Danijel! You rock.

I see you summoned me a couple of times in this thread, do you need anything from me specifically? Besides what we discussed by mail.
Thx. And not rly,..just to check, specially code related, so it isnt confusing :)
Iceman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 am Suggestion: maybe add the Exporter version to the window's header, and/or in an About menu, and/or the splash screen?
Will check this too when i get to point where i actually work on it, atm it will stay as 1.0.8.0(hovering mouse arrow
over app will show version ^^), unless u say there is code to be corrected or anything related added.
But for the moment it suits the purpose of porting .x's and images into xnb.
Iceman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 am When adding tech objects to the game, also edit the following files:

@\Resources\Data\TechTrees.xml - to add the object to the civ's techtree
@\Resources\Data\TextDatabase.xml - to add a description for the object (not mandatory)
Added these too. Any other that should be added and are modding related?

Return to “Supremacy”