building upgrades...

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

building upgrades...

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

So um, with BOTF I like the no-building-upgrade thing, as a 4-item limited queue makes upgrading new colonies to t9 painful.

I, forget what it is in Supremacy (last played a 2016 build I think?)... but I do think aside from the not-4-items-limited queue, you've stuck as with BOTF for those...

Have you thought of implementing something like BOTF's "No building upgrade mod". but not literally just item with 'per tech level' as a setting, as maybe something that can be toggled (functionally would act as *auto upgrade*, so all existing systems get all main production facilities upgraded to highest level, and new colonies built with highest available)

Anyway, another thing I was wondering, and because you can't do it with BOTF, is individual upgrades. Aka...

You can have tech level, 3, Charge Collectors at +50, but then a level 7 Charge Collectors that replaces rather than an addition, since some systems I do remember end up with huge lists in the energy tab. That and when you can build X amount of an item because there's an X amount of something. Maybe make it like the BOTF shield generator 'X amount of Y bonus per Z requirement but you dont need to build Z amount to get the full bonus'.

And maybe same settings like, "Turn on/off Fuel functions" for new games, (would also remove tanker vessels from the build list?, as redudant? I think there were tankers?)

Just food for thought.

Oh, System populations: Botf I think did have some hard minimum and maximums, and mods like GALM result in SOL having like, 700+ while some systems still end up with, post-terraforming, still sub-150. What's the settings for Supremacy, and can I set them to narrow the pop spread as I think there were some sub-50 systems that start as like, 10 pre-terraforming. Maybe have, again, a pair of options that allow on-new-game galaxy generation to create maybe a galaxy filled with sub-100 systems, or mostly 300/etc/etc.

Like: Minimum population and Maximum population, which accept any numerical value from 20 to 1,000... so if you set both to 100, *all* systems, aside from homeworlds, would have to have a population support of 100, but set to 50 and 500, and you can have some tiny systems and large systems? options would come up if you set a third drop-down menu to 'custom', with presets like "Unlimited" (as low as 20, as high as 1,000), Standard (50-400), Tiny (20-100), Small (50-150), Medium (100-250), Large (200-400), Huge (350-600)...

.... oh, building upgrade ideas, where the next level replaces the previous:
+food add and multiple buildings could have multiple tech level versions, same with energy, industry, intel and research.

just spit-balling before starting a new playthrough on a fresh download of supremacy.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: building upgrades...

Post by Iceman »

Hey Alex
I'll try to answer your questions/suggestions.

In Supremacy, you have an option when starting a new game that allows you to select how Production Facilities are handled when starting a new colony: Standard (which is the same as vanilla BotF, that is, all PFs start at level 1 and you have to upgrade them manually), or Best (all colonies start with the highest level PFs that you have available - you only have to upgrade when you research new levels). Notice however that this affects the economy in the game - not having to upgrade PFs I mean.
Eventually there will be a colony governor / auto-upgrade feature that will handle PF upgrades automatically.

Upgrades to energy Buildings, there aren't any, but it's easily moddable. The game is highly moddable, actually.

Buildings with a limit on construction, was there anything in particular that you were thinking about, or was it just an idea?

There are no tanker ships in the game, no. Ships used to be able to Collect Deuterium, but I think I disabled it. Fuel is pretty much disabled too, in terms of ship cost/tank size. Movement costs Deuterium, but that's about it. It didn't really make sense to have both Range and Fuel Tanks.

There are no hard caps on max or min pop in systems. I think min pop for a planet is 20 or something, so that's the minimum population a system can have. Max is in theory 10 planets x 250 pop.
There is an option to set Planet Density on system generation, with Scarce resulting in smaller systems (with potentially smaller pops) and Dense in larger systems.

+food add and multiple buildings could have multiple tech level versions, same with energy, industry, intel and research.
I don't understand what you mean by this. Can you clarify please?
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

the extra facilities with "+% Food" (multiplier) and "+x Food" (addition) T1, T2, etc. so those lovely little +50% and +100 food can be a higher tech level option, and maybe a T2 or T3 version would be +5% / +20.

These were just thoughts that started to annoy me, hence posting this.

as for the tanker thing, I do remember the deuterium thing, but I could have sworn there was a tanker, or maybe just me using a high-capacity ship as one.

populations: I still ended up with like the three systems to colonise sub-40 pops, I do think a hard minimum is needed. (Editing the moon habitation from +5 per moon per size, to say... +30... shoots Sol to 1440 pop. haha.

oh yeah, food surplus, how's that handled? Because as near as I can tell, Sol has a surplus limit of 300 at one point, (it did not change until after I hit 'moon habitation') but later it went past that.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I may have mentioned using construction ships as tankers in the forums, but it was just an idea to make them more useful.

The surplus limit is currently set to the system's current max population - Sol's is 300. Moon Habittion increases max pop, so it also increases the surplus food limit.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

the extra facilities with "+% Food" (multiplier) and "+x Food" (addition) T1, T2, etc. so those lovely little +50% and +100 food can be a higher tech level option, and maybe a T2 or T3 version would be +5% / +20.
I thought you wanted less micro, not more :wink:
This would be making (some) Buildings have the same upgrade "issue" as Production Facilities - and at the same time "steal" their purpose of increasing their output with tech level? Or duplicate that effect?

Return to “Supremacy”