4K Resolution

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Axis
Captain
Captain

4K Resolution

Post by Axis »

I just thought that, could there be 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) for Supremacy, I mean, it would make the game more playable, the planets would be smaller in comparison to the whole screen, they would not take so much space like in the 800 x 600 BotF originally.
The game would also be clearer all the way through with 4K res.
While it is 1920 by 1080, it is just as cramped as the original BotF.
Impress the Empress.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re: 4K Resolution

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I play it windowed, and dont have a 4k screen... but as you get higher in resolution, you'll eventually hit the problem of things being too small... I couldn't read the subtitles and codex entries in mass effect on my xbox, as despite having a 50" Full HD TV, I had the problem of, at the time, it being too far from the screen. And sat a metre away caused eye-strain. I have since moved, so I can game and lay back in bed doing so and still read text.

My current PC setup, I have a 27", 24" and 22" screen, with the 27" the one I use for gaming (144hz, so not limited to 60FPS). all are technically the same resolution, but the 22" is harder to read text on. (there's a good two or three inches of extra screen height!). even on the 27", running Botf
through DXwind, with the screen at arms length, there are times elements are too small to 'glance' at, (the font used in the game is not easy to read at small sizes). I even use the Zoom feature on chrome for this reason, currently at 150% for this very forum. I used to need glasses as a kid, dont now, but probably will soon enough.

On a 4k 24" screen like the Dell P2415Q, I think it'll be nightmare-levels of eyestrain. resolution-to-size scaling needs to be a thing.(some games use mods that either increase or decrease the size of HUD elements, often dynamically, due to some people having the issue of a 50" FHD screen making HUD elements too big, or a 4K 24" screen making them WAAAY too small, and with the 4k resolution it can be worse as some games set the hud elements individually at the same *pixel size*, so going from 50" -> 24" in FHD, the hud already shrinks in real-world dimensions, and 24" FHD - > 50" 4K is where the physically displayed real-world dimensions probably match... so that 50" FHD to 24" 4K... ouch. I can't find the "pixels per inch" values as they dont seem to mention them now, but that's shrinking it *twice*. So... two settings involved here:
Pixel Resolution: the digital 'workspace'
Size Scaling: How much of that digital workspace gets used for individual portions. Wouldn't want that solar-system bar to be too small, the side-panel, the size of text over the star names etc. Imagine playing BOTF on a 7" FHD tablet. you wouldn't be able to read the text.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I added a 4K version of the cursor for higher resolutions some time ago, to help some with this. The game scales rather well with resolution, I think that's one of the reasons Mike chose WPF.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

I've had no problems with my 40 inch 4K screen, viewed from arms length, everything is clear and visible.
Impress the Empress.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

CaptScarff made a change a few days ago for better support for widescreen resolutions, BTW.

Return to “Supremacy”