Combat Discussion

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Combat Discussion

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Silverbreaker wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:05 amBotf had arrows for camera navigation...
It's an early test version. As told the outstanding Supremacy guys are still working on new stuff...:wink:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Outstanding they are!

quick question though. Will there be an option in the future, like there is in BOTF, to either go into tactical battle, auto resolve, or auto retreat. Or will it automatically take you to the tactical battle like it does now?

Really cool stuff guys! Keep up the awesome work!
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

Was planning on adding a button to the combat window for auto resolve. The combat would then be resolved by the existing combat engine in Supremacy. The combat results would be a little different (turn based damage vs tick/frame based damage), but I don't see that as an issue as long as it's balanced to some degree.
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:34 am
Silverbreaker wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:05 amBotf had arrows for camera navigation...
It's an early test version. As told the outstanding Supremacy guys are still working on new stuff...:wink:
Yea there is still a lot to be done. The current options for controlling the camera are pretty limited, more needs to be done.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:39 pm I have got desired but unexpected result from the final combat against the Borg at Unimatrix 01.
Did anything change it the combat resolution? I had 82 ships, all decloaked, but too lose only one? The combat lasted 2 turns.
This is due to a conjugation of factors, including something that has not been implemented yet in the non-CE version of the game, which is all ships firing their torpedoes at the start of the round. Since ships fire according to their initiative, your (massive amount of) ships destroyed the Borg's (which are slow) before they could fire - so even taking 16 or so ships to down a Cube doesn't help the Borg.

The (auto) combat engine needs to be improved in a few areas. Made some changes yesterday, but mostly to combat logs and processing time.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

:up: so tactics against torpedoes should be available :grin:

Btw - is a new CE patch expected? I was plying like 230 turns of my first CE game, without any problems, but I am stuck by the error I have reported.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:51 am :up: so tactics against torpedoes should be available :grin:
:grin:
Auto combat is very limited in what you can do; unless we implement Evade and whatnot with buttons.
I've been mulling over how to improve combat over the past few days, but I've been really busy at work, so there's not really much done yet. It's going to be a substantial amount of work.
I also want to take a look at AI shipbuilding again, they tend to overbuild some classes under certain circumstances.

Btw - is a new CE patch expected? I was plying like 230 turns of my first CE game, without any problems, but I am stuck by the error I have reported.
The error only triggers when you scrap or upgrade a station. Misfire has already fixed it some time ago, but he must be busy right now. I'll give him a nudge.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Thanks.
In my case it must be a station of other race, Like minor race station being destroyed, so I cannot do anything.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Fix uploaded.
I also uploaded a new full build, with this fix already included.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I tried to test the Unity engine in bigger fights. Apart from some initial encounters, like 1 to 1 ship, I managed to test 9 destroyers against the Diamond, 40+ fleet against the Diamond and 70+ ships against the basic Borg armada. The test was successful, no problems, no errors. The only obstacle was that no Borg ship was destroyed, they always managed to escape. The Borg probe even has escaped from an encounter with my one scout mark 3.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I got first (but repeatable) hang in combat: my outpost versus cloaked scout.
Screenshot 2023-03-23 124215.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-23 124215.jpg (369.07 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
btw - the background in combat is too dark sometimes
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:01 am I got first (but repeatable) hang in combat: my outpost versus cloaked scout.

Misfire wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:59 pm Do you know if this battle was a ship vs a station? The logs show only one ship (Romulan) and nothing else. A battle between a single station and other ships will cause an error since stations don't exist in the combat engine yet.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

So, a recap of issues with the current CE build, mentioned in this thread:

- stations do not exist in the combat engine yet (single stations will hang the game)
(Echo Papa 607 is a ship but needs a 3D model too)

- add a auto-resolve button to the combat window

- improve camera controls

- the background might be too dark ? (maybe an option?)

- the model for the Romulan Colony Ship II doesn't load correctly

My own feedback from one of my games:

- cloaked ships start the battle with full shields, and they do not [/might not] fire first when engaging (a non-cloaked fleet can fire first on a cloaked fleet [effectively negating cloak], even if there has been no prior [first] contact between the civs)

- in 3-way battles, one of the civs' (the player's?) ships start the battle facing sideways (facing the left side of the screen)

- support ships (like colony ships) sometimes get deployed in front of combat ships

- damage and targeting might need to be tweaked

Iceman wrote:In this 3 way battle (me Dominion Scout vs 1 Romulan cloaked Scout and 2 Suliban cloaked Scouts), my scout was drawn sideways (facing the left side of the screen); the other ships were ok.
Also, the cloaked ships started the battle with their shields fully recharged.
BTW, I targeted one of the Suliban Scouts, and destroyed both in the same round.
In the 2nd round I fired on the Romulan Scout and destroyed it too.
I had no contact with either the Romulans or the Suliban before the battle.

Pages 9 and 10 of this thread also have Misfire's ToDo list, which might not be up to date anymore.
If you guys think of anything else, please post here.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Conquering/boarding ships/stations via a slightly altered 'ram' command?

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Over there we had a discussion about transferring ownership of space stations in BotF: viewtopic.php?p=60191#p60191

In BotF it would be hard to change ownership of objects during tactical combat, but for you guys it should be easy to add a slightly altered 'ram' command when coding the base ram feature.

Best reserved for troop transports or special boarding party transports (smaller/faster/defense+ to increase chance to 'ram' the target before destruction).

Just remove boarding party transport at 'ram impact' and calculate random chance for enemy ship/station takeover (probability shouldn't be too high for balance reasons and since not a common star trek tactic).

You could also look into a 'beam boarding party' feature when shields down, but this might end up on the overcomplicated side of things...

---

Will the new Unity licensing affect this project (e.g. in event of more than 200,000 installations) :grin: :up: :?:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Conquering/boarding ships/stations via a slightly altered 'ram' command?

Post by Iceman »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:32 pm Over there we had a discussion about transferring ownership of space stations in BotF: viewtopic.php?p=60191#p60191
In Supremacy, the station owner and the sector owner cannot be different.
Stations are transferred on membership, systems with a station cannot rebel (to keep things simple) and cannot be invaded (landing troops can only happen when the defender is fully defeated).
I need to check what happens when breaking a membership agreement (or being bribed away) but I think the station is returned to the minor civ. edit: I checked, and it is returned.

In BotF it would be hard to change ownership of objects during tactical combat, but for you guys it should be easy to add a slightly altered 'ram' command when coding the base ram feature.

Best reserved for troop transports or special boarding party transports (smaller/faster/defense+ to increase chance to 'ram' the target before destruction).

Just remove boarding party transport at 'ram impact' and calculate random chance for enemy ship/station takeover (probability shouldn't be too high for balance reasons and since not a common star trek tactic).

You could also look into a 'beam boarding party' feature when shields down, but this might end up on the overcomplicated side of things...
Sounds somewhat similar to akido's ship assimilation code. :mrgreen: (where's the borg smily when you need it?)

Will the new Unity licensing affect this project (e.g. in event of more than 200,000 installations) :grin: :up: :?:
Oh, definitely :cool:

Return to “Supremacy”