[Balance] Research speed

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: [Balance] Research speed

Post by Iceman »

It's a good thing that you started your game before 7mar, as I introduced a bug that disabled all random events... that's why I wasn't getting any.
Already fixed it for the next release.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

So which version should I update to and do I need to install intermediate patches, too or only the "final" one ?
Save game from mar1 should be compatible to march12 ?
For me it is quite the opposite
diplo screen working (most of the time) but save game button ALWAYS unlickable.

Other comments:
Pace on slow is OK, similar to last time.

Events: I think they occur a little too often.

Security/Terrorism:
The planeteray intel thing is horrible for any colony which is just a few people. I think this mechanis needs to be tweaked somehow.
Maybe make the intel for protection requirement based on system popuation somehow.
Thus a small system with 100 pop does not need 100 intel. While a system with 300 pop does need that big amount of security.

Perhaps make it grow linear with population (10 Security per 20 or 30 pop ?).
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

You always only need to apply the latest patch. 12march should be compatible, yes.

I'll see what I can do about security.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Turn 122, my treasury and income are about the same, my research exploded to 2246 RPs/turn; it is about to explode yet again, as I got to Holographic Simulators a couple of turns ago, and they're starting to get built.
Same number of colonies, but 5 shipyards, 4 of them level 2; cranking out DES2s and CRU2s to go after the Feds (I'm at war with them, they apparently didn't like me taking out their surveyor...). They have colonized one more system, and are terraforming another 4. They have COL2s and SCI2s, but their SYs are still level 1. They have a few FRI1s and CRU1s.
The other empires are pretty much unchanged, the Dom might be trying to build a station in the 30 pop system, which will give them access to another 3 or 4 systems. It's a little late for a comeback, but it's good to see the new code at work.
I have contacted another minor race, the Tamarians. Haven't decided yet how they will become part of the Klingon Empire. Sent an envoy for the time being.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

After having patched to the Mar12 version in Turn 205:

Just received this crash (see attached autosave). It crashed on hitting end turn.
EDIT: I cannot proceed past this turn - even after loading the autosave.

As for the game pace...Reaching Tier 5 now. No major enemy contact yet.

235 Turns played now. This happened since last time

Research
206 - Construction 4
217 - Energy 4
231 - Weapons 5

Agents
43 - 205 Klaang

Events.

NO new random events since patching....? Before there was like 1 Event every 10 turns. I hope theres nothing broken after patching.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(563.97 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's an Open Borders pact ending - there's a check missing there... thx! Fixed, will upload a new patch so that you can continue that game. Or, you can cancel that TR in Dnoces and the game won't crash - the effect on your relations with the Corvallen will be negligible, since the pact is ending anyway.

I'll have to check the events again - I wasn't getting any myself too, some 40+ turns into a new game to test them. It's the NoOccurrencePeriod option, most likely.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

Hmmm...I wonder whether it was because I was sending an Affiliation request that turn ?
Though I tried without diplomatic message and crashed the same.
The mar14 patch should fix the issue ?
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

Addendum:

Tried with mar14 And also did NOT send any diplomatic message this turn:

same crash :-(

will try cancelling trade route to corvallen - just no time right now.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(563.72 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Today is the 15th :wink: Haven't uploaded the patch yet, trying to fix the events issue.
But I tried your save, and the crash is fixed.

As an update on my game, turn 129 and I'm getting 3438 RPs per turn.
War on the Feds has materialized, just assaulted a colony defended by 2 OBs and a couple of Frigs.
No sign of any events yet.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

OK...cancelling trade route with mar14 did work and progressed to turn 236.

Hmm. I'll report game progress again when I encounter next error - or around Turn 300. We will see whether there are still some random events showing up.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Random events are working again.
Terrorism attacks have been tweaked a bit.
AIs should upgrade their SYs.
TL5 has been increased from 15k to 20k, rest is unchanged for now.
There was a large amount of minors with +PercentBioTechResearchEmpireWide bonuses, scrapped a couple of them. Will have to decrease all those values.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

OK - just an update to the play status and a question:

First. The crashing in Turn 204 could be fixed by cancelling the trade route as posted above. No crash since.

What is the build requirement for Corvallen Freighter ? I have the system, and I can build the Raiders. But no Freighter appears in the ship build menu of Corval.

Update from Turn 200 - 290 (pre turn 200 see above summary)
Core Game Version 2020.02.14
Patch Status
01Mar Turn 1 - 204
12Mar Turn 204 - 235
14Mar Turn 235 -

Research
206 - Construction 4
217 - Energy 4
231 - Weapons 5
250 - Energy 5
265 - Construction 5
279 - Computers 5

Agents

43 - 205 Klaang
65 - 234 Goroth
85 - 251 K'Vagh
105 - 256 Buka'H
124 - 277 Antaak
145 - Vorok
235 - Kras
249 - Krell
267 - Kang
288 - Korax

Event list (complete) to better show statistics:

Againg I got hit by a Comet and it destroyed a planet (in last game it was 3 hits within 300 turns I think, way too much)....lets see if it repeats again, soon.

Events

33 - Domestic Terrorism prevented in Qo'nos
49 - Commercial Terrorism prevented in Qo'nos
55 - Domestic Terrorism prevented in Qo'nos
56 - Geological Survey on Vico (+181 Duranium)
71 - Domestic Terrorism prevented in Qo'nos
75 - Embezzlement (-184 Credits)
81 - Commercial Terrorism prevented in Qo'nos
91 - Domestic Terrorism in Vico (4 Structures destroyed)
97 - Commercial Terrorism prevented in Qo'nos
110 - Commercial Terrorism prevented in Dnoces
114 - Donation (+192 Credits)
131 - Commercial Terrorism prevented in Qo'nos
136 - Domestic Terrorism in Zeta Ceti (4 Structures destroyed)
144 - Religious Holiday in Alpha Ophiuchi
152 - Solar Flare in Alpha Ophiuchi
153 - Domestic Terrorism in Asimov (3 Structures destroyed)
180 - Commercial Terrorism prevented in Qo'nos
182 - Plague in Gamma Virginis (25 Mio. Dead)
199 - Domestic Terrorism in Asimov (3 Structures destroyed)
201 - Commercial Terrorism Alpha Columbae (-18 Credits)
240 - Religious Holiday in Khitomer
263 - Earthquake on Qo'nos (42 Mio Dead, 19 Structures destroyed)
263 - Alien Fossils on Vendoria (+200 Biotech)
264 - Encountered Federation !
275 - Archaeological Dig in Jaros (+150 Credits)
284 - Comet Strike on Argaya I (11 Mio. Dead, 5 Structures destroyed, Planet destroyed)
288 - Domestic Terrorism prevented in Beta Bootis
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

What is the build requirement for Corvallen Freighter ? I have the system, and I can build the Raiders. But no Freighter appears in the ship build menu of Corval.
It's a TL1 ship. I can't recall if I blocked minor race Freighters from the Build List. They have absolutely no purpose in the game, so there's no point in building them.

Againg I got hit by a Comet and it destroyed a planet (in last game it was 3 hits within 300 turns I think, way too much)....lets see if it repeats again, soon.
You shouldn't get another in the next 600 turns.

264 - Encountered Federation !
Yay! :wink:
Crush them! :twisted:

There are less terrorist attacks with the latest version, as you might have noticed.
If the colony has less than 60 pop, and security is high enough (IIRC) it won't even trigger.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

Yes. I noticed. Terrorism feels much improved by now. Thanks for those changes.

OK if the freighter has no purpose then it should be removed from Tech screen and Research Matrix as well ?
Or was it thought as an alternative Troop Transport ?

That could be an option ? As the Corvallen are a rather wary species ? ("Raider" Ships etc.).
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iscaran wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:42 am Yes. I noticed. Terrorism feels much improved by now. Thanks for those changes.
Thanks for the feedback! :up:
OK if the freighter has no purpose then it should be removed from Tech screen and Research Matrix as well ?
There were a couple of ideas thrown around about using them.

For example, require a Freighter to establish a Trade Route; have them actually move in the starmap, between the 2 colonies (source and target of the TR), in order to collect the TR's income; allowing things like destroying the Freighter and hence the TR; blockading the TR; etc.
Though this sounds kind of cool, I'm not sure it actually adds much to gameplay. A lot more fleets bloating the starmap (and respective impact on turn processing), a lot of code required, etc.
It's one of those things that's fun the first few times, and then it becomes routine micromanagement.

Or we could use them to move population between systems - there already is a ship stat for EvacuationCapacity, which is supposed to be for relief missions when there's a catastrophic event projected to happen in a system. Medical Ships are for those too.

They could be used to haul Food between systems, but I'm not sure there's much point in it. Other resources like dilithium and such, they're global so there's no need for that within your empire. To trade them with other civs, that's part of diplomacy.

Or was it thought as an alternative Troop Transport ?
That could be an option ? As the Corvallen are a rather wary species ? ("Raider" Ships etc.).
Some minors do actually have a use for their Transports, and you can build them. But those are Troop Transports, not Freighters.

The Corvallen have their Raiders already.
Unless Transports in a raiding fleet would increase the "bounty" you get - some food, some system resources (if the system has them)? Some alien females? :twisted: Or males, depending on your preferences. :wink:

Return to “Supremacy”