CPU usage

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

CPU usage

Post by Iscaran »

Today I played a little bit on the latest Patch. After finishing I checked the AI...apparently it started terraforming now some of the planets.

But something more generic struck me today.

What exactly is eating up ~50% of the CPU-single Thread power of my system when "sitting" around idle on the galaxy map ?!?.

I mean...really >50% of my CPU Power goes for "drawing" the screen or what ?

This load btw disappears as soon as one enters a systems build menu.

Perhaps this "explains" the (albeit already much better) GUI issues ? I mean scrolling with full galaxy view enabled (F12) is really really slow...but even with just my ~30% discovered area its really drastic ?

Can you elaborate on that a little bit - it seems strange that there is such a constant CPU drain all the time when on the galaxy map. I mean I would understand if the CPU requirements would "Jump" when trying to scroll or doing anything...but just sitting there and watching the map raises my CPU temperature constantly by ~15 °C (thats how I found this. The Temp goes from below 50 °C to 65 °C when my Vent kicks in to keep it down).

This made me check the CPU usage stats during this period and its obvious. CPU load is ~10-12% on my Ryzen 6 Core with SMT enabled...which means its more then 50% of a single core/thread utilized permanently all the time, even idling not doing anything.

While in the system Menu CPU load drops to ~5%....and temps fall to 50 °C again.

OK - I`ll try to optimize and readjust my CPU cooling curve a little bit to avoid the upspinning of the cooler, but would be nice if you could give some feedback where this constant CPU drain comes from.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iscaran »

For your reference. My problems occur on a Win 10 Ryzen 3600 (6C12T) System with 32 GB RAM.

Turn switching times is ultra fast even now (barely 5s).

Yes all sector borders are "ondulating" (theres a tiny color shift running from top to bottom or so). I think I did not notice this when running in Win 7 summer last year.

But still CPU usage when "nothing" is happening, no clicking etc... ?!? Why ?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

For full context, I ran this test on a Win7 desktop with 8GB RAM.
Re CPU, I get similar numbers and behavior. Like mentioned previously, I get no GUI issues with Win7 - so there might not be a correlation here. Notice I'm only trying to separate the issues, as the GUI is clearly an OS issue, CPU is not.
You mentioned the "ondulation" effect in sector borders (which I had even forgotten was there). Will check that.

The ondulating borders effect is intended, and has always been there. You just forget about it at some point.
Maybe I could tie it to the twinkling stars setting.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I also checked the CPU usage (idle, Galaxy map)
I had about 6-7% at my desktop (Win 10 1909, Intel Core i7 8700 6 cores/12 threads, 32GB) but also about 5% of graphic processor use
At my 10 years old laptop I had about 43% of CPU use (Win 10 1909, Intel Core i5 M430, 2 cores/4 threads, 8GB memory)
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Hi,
I had not too much time for Supremacy recently, but I had a look for CPU usage in Feb02.
My PC was using about 15% CPU power in idle / glaxy map, but after couple of minutes it droped to about 5%. My old latop was using about 38-40%, so slightly less as I remember.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:49 pm Hi,
I had not too much time for Supremacy recently, but I had a look for CPU usage in Feb02.
My PC was using about 15% CPU power in idle / glaxy map, but after couple of minutes it droped to about 5%. My old latop was using about 38-40%, so slightly less as I remember.
So it is better?
Did you notice any changes in the UI? In the negative sense, I mean.
I decreased the "refresh rate" of the galaxy screen - at least I think that was it, hence my need for feedback.

geordie:
It is slightly better, but as I wrote earlier my games this year are quite OK. I have not noticed any delays or performance problems.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:35 am I also checked the CPU usage (idle, Galaxy map)
I had about 6-7% at my desktop (Win 10 1909, Intel Core i7 8700 6 cores/12 threads, 32GB) but also about 5% of graphic processor use
At my 10 years old laptop I had about 43% of CPU use (Win 10 1909, Intel Core i5 M430, 2 cores/4 threads, 8GB memory)
geordie wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:35 am My PC was using about 15% CPU power in idle / glaxy map, but after couple of minutes it droped to about 5%. My old latop was using about 38-40%, so slightly less as I remember.
Yep, in your system the improvement was smallish.

@Iscaran, when you get back, could you check this too please? Thanks.
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: CPU usage

Post by Iscaran »

OK.

CPU Usage got better now...just around 6-7% in "idle" sitting on galaxy map.
GPU usage between 0-80% (for a second).
There is still "some" lagging in game - but got much better.
It seems that the User interface Aliasing setting impacts this a little.

The other two seemd to have no impact. At least on my rig.

I wonder whether it might have to do with Ryzen CPU being built of 2 Core complexes...

System:
CPU: Ryzen 3600X
GPU: Radeon R9 380 (still on Radeon driver 19.9.2, as 19.12.1 caused Major problems (couldnt run Supremacy).
Did not try newer drivers than that since then.
RAM: 16 GB
Win 10 Pro 64bit 1903.18362.592
Attachments
CPU_Usage.jpg
CPU_Usage.jpg (991.98 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: CPU usage

Post by Iceman »

From 50% to 7%, cool!
Thanks for all the info! :up:
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Hi Iceman,
I have downloaded Feb14. So far I can only say that my last save seems working. Anyway I have saved again under new version.
I have checked the CPU load - about 15-16% in idle mode (Galaxy map) + about 12% GPU usage.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:32 pm Hi Iceman,
I have downloaded Feb14. So far I can only say that my last save seems working. Anyway I have saved again under new version.
I have checked the CPU load - about 15-16% in idle mode (Galaxy map) + about 12% GPU usage.
IIRC I cleaned up some bonuses before releasing feb14, so there might be some weird bonuses in some buildings, like what happened some time ago.

I was waiting for feedback on CPU load, ended up releasing with the original refresh rate. Might change it back to one of the patches, if it makes enough of a difference.

Return to “Supremacy”