FPS drop

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

FPS drop

Post by Iceman »

Iscaran wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:47 pm Apart from that I noticed that the overall FPS have now dropper from initally around 20-40 FPS...to around 10-20 maximum 26 FPS.
When being on the map or in some planetery menu etc.
More interestingly - just out of sudden in Turn 319 I had a massive sudden drop to 1-2 FPS...I barely managed to quit the game and reload. The effect was vanished. But still FPS now in turn 320 is roughly 1/2 that of the FPS when beginning the game...WHY ?
I mean the GUI CANT have such an impact right and also the more discovered systems. I mean they are not loaded all the time are they ?
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: FPS drop

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Sorry to read you are having performance issues in Supremacy. I hope its not a dead end like the 3D combat, where the man himself (Mike) ended up suggesting to create an entire new program and just pop-up it over Supremacy, instead implementing it in the base code. IIRC he also said, the usage of the most common, simple data transfer methods to the 3D combat engine would fail due to incompatibility.

Btw doesn't the other group around Ken & Reg face similar problems? I hope there are no hard feelings between you guys (about one stealing the other's Horga'hn or so).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Well, I don't know if anyone else (geordie et al) are having this issue too, so far only Iscaran reported this. I'd like to have more feedback on this, to determine if it's actually related to the game or something else (I'm saying this because for example geordie is having crashes related to planet meshes which I don't have, and this laptop is somewhat crappy). Hence this thread.

Re the combat engine, Danijel was going to look into it a few months ago, but then RL got in the way (as it always does), and until he has free time again, it's on hold. And so are the 3D ship models... :sad:
But like the Terminator, he will be back :wink:

I wouldn't know about that. A few years ago Bloodwurm tried to broker some cooperation between the 2 projects, but they (or some of them, I don't know) refused, so.

Your comment just resurrected an idea I had for a long time though :up:
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

Hello Iceman,

after some while I could return to Botf for some turns...strangely I wasnt so hardly struck by the FPS dropping issue this time.
Played 5 turns only though. At least the lagging which was observed in basically EVERY window last time got severly better.

Only difference is:
- there are now some new windows updates on the system.

I also let the Radeon Overlay run the entire time in game and it is consistently showing that whenever I "open" a window FPS jumps to very high values (like > 100 FPS) but after 3-4 seconds then stabilizes to ~75 FPS (which is my Refresh rate and V-Sync should be enabled, which is OK then with 75 FPS).

The ONLY exception to this is the main window, where you can zoom in/out, scroll etc. and from where you access all other windows.

There I get consistently values of 16-20 FPS with hits method and also the initial FPS-Spike is not there.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's great news! It's natural that the Galaxy View has the worst perf, it's where most of the action is. All the other views are pretty much static.

Considering that the international standard for movies is 25 FPS... :mrgreen:
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

Considering that the international standard for movies is 25 FPS... :mrgreen:
Yes - but still you should aim here for something like 40 FPS or so. As 25 FPS feels horrible when you have to move mouse etc.

Also, and maybe that is a part of the problem, an Adaptive Sync Display (Freesync for AMD, G-Sync for nVidia) cannot properly "adapt" below 30FPS...maybe thats causing an additional extra lag, which then feels so weird (as it is not "static lag but dynamic somewhat").

So if this performance counter is not lying the galaxy view has really just 20 FPS ? I cant believe that. I mean there barely anything "dynamic" on it - any idea what rendering / display part is causing this EXTREME.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I was just kidding, obviously I don't think we should be happy about it.

No, I have no idea (as in, haven't really looked into it properly) what's causing it. Like I mentioned, I haven't seen anyone else report it, so I can't really be sure if it's the game or your setup.
Obviously, the starmap is redrawn everytime you change some setting (overview mode, zoom level, whatever).

If you'd be willing to make an experiment, would you play a game on Medium, or even Large, and compare the results? That'd be a *lot* less redrawing required, should be enough to notice some difference (especially Medium).
Iscaran
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Iscaran »

Yes will try medium size next time :-)

Return to “Supremacy”