External Affairs

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

External Affairs

Post by Iceman »

So, the External Affairs bonuses are now working, but they have different effects, so having them with the same name (+ExternalAffairs, +PercentExternalAffairs) is kind of awkward...
We need to change the name of at least one of them. I'd like to hear some suggestions please.

+ExternalAffairs
is used in the Vorta Cloning Lab (Dominion building), and it modifies Regard of every contacted civ, every turn

+PercentExternalAffairs
is used in some (4 or 5) minor race (mediators/facilitators) buildings, and affects the perception a civ has when evaluating the amount of credits they are offered/requested (higher/lower) to decide whether to accept or reject the exchange

I would be tempted to keep the 1st and change the 2nd, but not sure to what.
I'm also comfortable with the reverse, or with changing both.
We need meaningful names for them in either case.
Pegasus
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: External Affairs

Post by Pegasus »

If I understand correctly, +ExternalAffairs creates a pro-Dominion Regard in other civs. Could you refer that effect back to Canon and call it something like "Faith in the Founders" in game text something like "The Founders have spread civilization throughout the Gamma Quadrant. The Vorta look on the Founders as gods and their obedience is unquestioning. Vorta diplomats zealously promote the interests of the Dominion and worship of the Founders throughout the galaxy. (Effect +N Regard per turn)".

+PercentExternalAffairs
Not sure if I fully understand this effect but if it relates to negotiations, would something economic or transactional suit?
+ Bargaining
+ Negotiation
+ Foresight
+ Prudence
+ Arbitrage
+ Ferenginistic
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey Pegasus!
Thx for the feedback!!
Pegasus wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28 am If I understand correctly, +ExternalAffairs creates a pro-Dominion Regard in other civs.
It creates a pro-BuildingOwner Regard, yes.

Could you refer that effect back to Canon and call it something like "Faith in the Founders" in game text something like "The Founders have spread civilization throughout the Gamma Quadrant. The Vorta look on the Founders as gods and their obedience is unquestioning. Vorta diplomats zealously promote the interests of the Dominion and worship of the Founders throughout the galaxy. (Effect +N Regard per turn)".
Well, currently only the Dominion has a Building with this bonus, but that might change; in that case, the name of the bonus would look out of place... :wink:
(I was considering using it for the Feds too, but I'm not sure)

That text is cool though. Should we replace the current text for the Vorta Cloning Lab with this :?:
Here's the current one:

The Dominion control the Vorta. They are a sly, but easily dominated race. They make excellent subjects to do the Founders' bidding, and are experts at controlling foreign interests - but they must be precisely tailored and engineered for maximum efficiency. The Cloning Lab ensures that there is a steady supply of Vorta.

Or maybe we could use both, and in some way replace the trade related Buildings of the Dominion...

+PercentExternalAffairs
Not sure if I fully understand this effect but if it relates to negotiations, would something economic or transactional suit?
+ Bargaining
+ Negotiation
+ Foresight
+ Prudence
+ Arbitrage
+ Ferenginistic
:lol:
Yes, it relates to negotiations involving transfer of credits (only - at least for now). What it does is, if I offer an amount of credits and an OB pact for example, with this bonus active I need to offer a smaller amount to get the same effect (accept/reject) as without the bonus. If I'm making a request/demand, the other civ reacts (accept/reject) as if I'm demanding a bit less money.

Nice suggestions :up: Thx!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Pegasus wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28 am Could you refer that effect back to Canon and call it something like "Faith in the Founders"
Forgot to mention that this can be easily modded/changed.
Pegasus
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Pegasus »

How's this? (but feel free to use alternative text).

Vorta Cloning Lab
The Founders are masters of genetic engineering.

Millennia ago the Founders manipulated the genome of a primitive species to breed the Vorta, their most loyal creation.

While they remain physically diminutive, the Vorta have subtle and formidably intellects making them the ideal diplomats, scientists and administrators of the Dominion.

In thanks for their exalted position at the heart of the Dominion, the Vorta look on the Founders as gods and their obedience is unquestioning.

The Cloning Labs ensures that there is a steady supply of new Vorta, precisely tailored and engineered, to serve the Founders.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks for the suggestion Pegasus!

We're currently discussing making some changes to the Dominion buildings, and this is one of them. Its bonus might be changed from +ExternalAffairs to +ShipExperience.

What if we change the name of the +ExternalAffairs bonus simply to +Regard ?
I think it might make it easier to identify its effect :?:

If so, should we keep +PercentExternalAffairs as is (since there would be no confusion), or use one of the suggestions above :?:
I tend to prefer:
+ Negotiation
+ Bargaining

Yes, it relates to negotiations involving transfer of credits (only - at least for now). What it does is, if I offer an amount of credits and an OB pact for example, with this bonus active I need to offer a smaller amount to get the same effect (accept/reject) as without the bonus. If I'm making a request/demand, the other civ reacts (accept/reject) as if I'm demanding a bit less money.
Clarifying this, the bonus doesn't actually change the amount of Regard you get from the Credits in the deal, it just makes it more likely that the deal is accepted, because the other civ has the perception that you're offering more / requesting less credits than you're actually putting on the table.

So, if you have a 20% bonus and are offering 2k for an Affiliation treaty, they treat the offer as being 2.4k for the Aff; but, if they accept, Regard will only be increased by the amount corresponding to 2k - not sure if I should change this :?: As it would effectively be a Credits "bonus" this way.
If you're requesting 2k for a NAP, with the same bonus, they'll decide on it as if it were a 1.6k request.

Return to “Supremacy”