Updating the GUI

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

MadHaTr
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Updating the GUI

Post by MadHaTr »

Hey, glad to see this project is still being worked on. BOTF was one of my favorite games. I come back every so often to get my fix.

I was curious if there are any plans to update the interface at all? It seems a bit antiquated and tedious. I know it's near identical to the original game; interfaces have come such a long way now.

Couple other questions. Is there a key bind that gets me back to the map screen? Is there a key bind I can use to end the turn? Is there a file i can edit for key binds, i didn't see anything in game.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Updating the GUI

Post by Iceman »

Hey MadHaTr.

About the UI, well, it's one of those things that will never please everybody I guess. The only solid plans that exist for now are updating the Game Context Menus that are still using the old (Federation's) one. Would you like to take a shot at that? Or know someone that would? We really need those.
That said, any suggestions for improvements are always welcome. Do you have a specific gripe, or is it pretty much everything about all the UI(s)? :wink:

Re keybindings, yes, F1 will take you to galaxy view. Ending turn is CTL+ENTER. It's all in the Keybindings dialog, which you can access with F9 from the galaxy screen - a tip in the loading screen says just that. :wink:
Keybindings are not customizable, no.

Thanks!
Scottymac
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Scottymac »

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I have 3 suggestions to make after quite a bit of playing in the last few weeks. All suggestions are purely from my perspective but would be interested to hear other folks views. Needless to say I have no idea if these are technically possible.

1. On Science screen, Encyclopedia tab (think spelling should be Encyclopaedia) to default to unexpanded menu rather than existing expanded configuration to simplify navigation to desired topic/item.

2. To aid searching for a specific colony, clicking on Colonies tab on Assets screen can re-order Colonies alphabetically (as per Diplomacy screen). Alternatively (and my less preferred option), perhaps the colony list could default to alphabetical listing rather than date of colony creation/acquisition.

3. On the Assets screen, building queues default to “Empty” (or similar phrase) rather than “Trade Goods”. So that you must select “Trade Goods” as the build queue and that way it is easy to establish which Colony is building nothing (i.e. you have forgotten), and one which has completed all your building requirements. Personally I would find this very handy on Huge maps and late game when you add additional colonies.

Absolutely loving this game, and as I have said before in another post, kudos to those folks who have brought it so far.

Cheers!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Scottymac wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:10 am 1. On Science screen, Encyclopedia tab (think spelling should be Encyclopaedia)
Done!

to default to unexpanded menu rather than existing expanded configuration to simplify navigation to desired topic/item.
This should be easy todo, but I'll wait for feedback from others, as you suggested.

2. To aid searching for a specific colony, clicking on Colonies tab on Assets screen can re-order Colonies alphabetically (as per Diplomacy screen). Alternatively (and my less preferred option), perhaps the colony list could default to alphabetical listing rather than date of colony creation/acquisition.
Is there a specific reason for wanting the alphabetical sorting?
I'll check if there's an easy way to implement this option (like a hotkey or something).
Alphabetical being the default, I'm not sure about that. Currently, you know your fully developed colonies are on top, and your developing colonies are the bottom ones (for the most part).

3. On the Assets screen, building queues default to “Empty” (or similar phrase) rather than “Trade Goods”. So that you must select “Trade Goods” as the build queue and that way it is easy to establish which Colony is building nothing (i.e. you have forgotten), and one which has completed all your building requirements. Personally I would find this very handy on Huge maps and late game when you add additional colonies.
Trade Goods is the default "build", you don't actually select it as a project. "Empty" might give the wrong impression that it would not produced credits from TGs if you do not start a new project.
How would you tell when a colony is building nothing because you forgot from when there's nothing else you want to build? Can't be from checking if the build list is empty because there's *always* something to build (PFs, shields, OBs, unneeded Buildings, etc).
I understand the advantage of flagging some colonies as "closed", it would be really handy, yes. There would have to be a way for the player to set a colony as "done for now" (until a new tech level is reached) - which could display "Trade Goods" in another color or something.

Absolutely loving this game, and as I have said before in another post, kudos to those folks who have brought it so far.
Thanks for your feedback! It is very important so that the game keeps getting improved. :up:
Anything, and I mean that literally, that you find that might be improved or doesn't look right, as insignificant as it might look, please report.

Return to “Supremacy”