Membership more challenging

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Malioc
Ensign
Ensign

Membership more challenging

Post by Malioc »

I have additional thoughts about what I wrote in my last post: How to make keeping Members more challenging (in an interesting way).

Here an idea I had:
- The chance of a Minor to stay in your empire should be connected to the (adapted) morale system to make it transparent.
- For the first 20 turns the MInor is "save". After that, if the morale drops down below a certain level for maybe 5 rounds, the Minor voices anger. Maybe even to other factions. Then they are more open for other factions offers and (with some chance) just quit the alliance.
- Depending on the attitude of the Minor (Warlike) they might even declare war and target/raid your other colonies.
- The (adapted) morale of the Minor members has now strong additional impacts, positive and negative. If you follow the specific wishes of each Minor, it will boost their performance. If you neglect it, they will turn against you (see example)
- When the Minor is conquered the Minor may have the same negative effect. However, you can balance it out with suppressive buildings. And the Minor can not just quit and the lower morale just reduces productivity.
- For temporary satisfaction (in war times) you may also spend money to the colony to boost morale. But this should be rather expensive.

Examples:

Pakled (Deceptive)
- loses a bit morale for each pop working in Research
- loses a bit morale for each loss within the last 15 turns ("ally does not make me strong")
+ gains a bit morale for each pop working in Intelligence
+ gains morale when empire has more than half as many warships than number of colonies ("strong ally")

Vulcan (Spiritual)
- loses a bit morale for each combat within the last 15 turns
- loses a bit morale when less than 1/4 of all pops are working in Research
+ gains significant morale for each pop working in Research (above 1/4)
+ gains a bit morale from science stations (or similar items) in the empire
# as a member their pop don't do Intelligence (occupied they do)

Cytherians (Isolist)
- loses a bit morale for each combat within the last 15 turns
- loses significant morale for each pop working in Intelligence
- loses a bit morale when less than 1/4 working in Research
+ gains significant morale for each pop working in Research (above 1/4)
+ gains a bit morale
# as a member they don't generate Trade Routes (occupied they do)

Breen (Warlike)
- loses a bit morale for each lost combat within the last 15 turns
- loses a bit morale for each of your colonies that is occupied by another faction
- loses morale when empire has half as many war ships than colonies
+ gains a bit more morale for each combat you won within the last 15 turns
+ gains morale when number of warships is higher than number of colonies
+ gains a bit morale for each colony your empire occupied within the last 50 turns (as long as its still occupied)
# as a member Warlike/Raider pop may sometimes not do Research, but this probably doesn't work with Breen

Halkans (Pacifist)
- loses morale for each combat in neutral or enemy territory within the last 15 turns
- loses a bit morale for each colony your empire occupied within the last 50 turns (as long as its still occupied)
- loses significant morale for each colony you destroyed
+ gains morale when your empire is at peace
+ gains morale when your empire has been in peace for the last 15 turns
# as a member their shipyards don't build warships (occupied they do)

Dosi (Mercantile)
- loses morale when they don't have a least one Trade Route (as long as they have one)
- loses a bit morale when empire has 1/4 as many war ships than colonies (empire must be strong enough to protect trade/economy)
+ gains a bit morale for each pop working in Intelligence (knowledge is power, power is money)
+ gains a bit morale for each Credit generated by an active Trade Route (40 credits are better than 10 credits)

I don't know if there are more traits. If "native" Minors like the Mintakans exist, they might have a problem with anything energy-related (shipyards, Wind turbine, etc).
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Membership more challenging

Post by Iceman »

Split this post so it doesn't get lost.

Just a couple of quick notes:
- For temporary satisfaction (in war times) you may also spend money to the colony to boost morale. But this should be rather expensive.
You can offer credits to a member minor, to increase Regard.
Right now, only Raider and Mercantile minors have a constant decay in Regard every turn while members of an empire, but there are events that might lower Regard.

I don't know if there are more traits. If "native" Minors like the Mintakans exist, they might have a problem with anything energy-related (shipyards, Wind turbine, etc).
IIRC the Mintakans are Peaceful (!= Pacifist). There's also Raider, and Allegiant (easier to member, especially by the Federation).
Malioc
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Malioc »

If you're willing to dig more into that direction, I'll gladly provide more ideas what criteria could fit which race. =)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Sure. There is a pending part of the code regarding diplomacy, related to memory of past events. It is commented out, pending hooking to the diplo system (when finished). One of the tables lists the events IIRC.

Return to “Supremacy”