Colony Health

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Colony Health

Post by Iceman »

I should make the Plague event trigger only for colonies with a health level below a certain %... will look into that. It does check population health, but for casualties only IIRC.

BTW, colony health level takes into account things like your Biotech TL, any medical ships in orbit, pollution in the colony, population health modifier. Can't recall if anything else.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:15 am
The PF penalties are a nice challenge. How does the pollution work?
Can't recall :wink: It modifies a colony's health level, which in turn (IIRC) affects growth rate. But I'm not sure if that's so or not, this feature is still very much undeveloped. That's one of the things on hold, as it has a low priority. It should be made to affect whatever population health affects, like size of Food Reserves, population growth, etc.
A colony's health level depends on how many active industry and energy PFs you have (pollution), and your BioTech TL.
A colony's pop health bonus is determined by Buildings and Medical ships in orbit, and modified by the colony's health level. It reduces deaths from starvation, bombardment, ground combat, and events like Plague and Earthquake etc. It also increases growth in the colony, and its max Food Reserves.
It's not much, but that's what there is for now.
Malioc
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Malioc »

Thanks! The amount of connections is more than enough. The question for me is, how much health involves with pop growth/decline.

Very bad health should actually create negative growth.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's something to consider.

Or, negate growth (zero growth), and leave the "negative" growth to Plague, and make it more frequent (like the terrorism events).
Malioc
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Colony Health

Post by Malioc »

I think, your solution would be even better. After thinking deeper into it, growth on Earth has rarely been stopped because of bad health. Contries with terrible health and pollution still grow a lot. Even more so than countries with good health.

"Bad health -> plague -> many dead" makes more sense.
Maybe adding (keeping?) a negative effect on food and morale.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hmm, I could make food production be modified by the colony's health level. Meaning you will need more food production (activate more farms, thus diverting more pop from other production types) the higher the pollution in the colony is.
We need to make sure the AI understands such mechanics though (but it should already, if I tie this directly to food output).

I may need to change the formula though, as the only means to counter pollution currently is BioTech TL.
Malioc
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Malioc »

The question is: Is it realistic, that additional production decreases food in the same turn?

I think, pollution would have a rather long-term effect. You produce heavily for 20 rounds, suddenly your food output drops with each round. And it only gets better again with time.

As far as health goes, maybe it's closer to morale:
- sick people means lese efficiency in all jobs, which could be simulated with morale
- also bad health will make people unhappy and boost unrest
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The rationale was that farms in more polluted planets produce less food - or food that is less satisfying / less benefitial, in which case you tend to eat more to compensate.
Malioc
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Malioc »

I just think, the effect is delayed.

But maybe that would make things too complicated.

The core idea I agree on. ;-)

Return to “Supremacy”