Weird hang - geordie

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

geordie
Captain
Captain

Weird hang - geordie

Post by geordie »

As you are preparing a new patch I decided to attached a save which causes me problems today. I am not sure if it is last patch incompatibility or my local problems, but it may be worth checking. The save is based on your modified save and I made only one turn more.
My game goes down after switching from Colony Screen to Asset Screen (Colonies Tab) using mouse, but it requires quite many attempts.
I had to do that after another energy research and update of my fusion plants in several systems. I tried to pass that about 5 times today :(
However I did not try using F6 exclusively, maybe it is an option.
Attachments
SP Cardassians Huge Irregular 368.zip
(733.9 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
geordie
Captain
Captain

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by geordie »

:(
I have repeated that hang using clean install and now on my laptop. It is a picture how it looks when I try to switch to colony tab.
Screenshot (7).jpg
Screenshot (7).jpg (303.27 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
After couple of minutes I can see Colony Tab, but cannot switch to any other screen or to force next turn.
You didn't send that proposal, correct? (as it shouldn't be possible)

It was my proposal and that option is in the save you corrected for me. That is why I was curious. I couldn't make any progress to see what happened with that proposal because of that hang.
Are you sure you're running the latest exe? Can you check the game's main folder, and check if the SupremacyClient.exe file is from 25/09/2021?
Of course the last version, 25-09-2021 23:49. I have updated my laptop today.
I have some IT background. I was a programmer many years ago. I still assembly my pc myself (hope that it isn't a reason of my problems ;))
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:24 am :(
I have repeated that hang using clean install and now on my laptop. It is a picture how it looks when I try to switch to colony tab.

Does your game context menu always look like that? I mean, without the transparent background?
Or is it just in this situation?
IIRC you had some gfx problems in the past, in the Star System panel? Can't recall the specifics. Could it be driver related?

After couple of minutes
:shock:

I can see Colony Tab, but cannot switch to any other screen or to force next turn.
Not even with the Fx keys? (F1 for Galaxy screen, F2 for Colony screen, F6 for Assets screen)
If you don't open the Colony screen and/or the Assets screen, you can end turn, correct? Do you have problems with any other screen?

It was my proposal and that option is in the save you corrected for me. That is why I was curious. I couldn't make any progress to see what happened with that proposal because of that hang.
They accepted. :cool:
Ok, so there's nothing strange about it, it was you who sent the proposal, when it was still possible. Good.

Of course the last version, 25-09-2021 23:49. I have updated my laptop today.
I have some IT background. I was a programmer many years ago. I still assembly my pc myself (hope that it isn't a reason of my problems ;))
Sorry :!: , I didn't mean to sound condescending or whatever. I was just trying to be 200% sure the problem was not build related.

I used the 25/09 patch to end turn and everything went smoothly. Can you check if it works for you, please?
Attachments
SP Cardassians Huge Irregular 369.zip
(731.98 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Does your game context menu always look like that? I mean, without the transparent background?
Not even with the Fx keys? (F1 for Galaxy screen, F2 for Colony screen, F6 for Assets screen)
If you don't open the Colony screen and/or the Assets screen, you can end turn, correct? Do you have problems with any other screen?
That black box in the background is just a side effect of that hang.
I couldn't switch to other screen neither using using mouse (touchpad on my laptop) nor short keys.
Sometimes there was an updated screen after several minutes (yes, i tried to just wait), but the game was very, very slow and the game status in Task Manager was 'not responding'.
The problem appeared only once switching from the Colony Screen to the Colonies Tab. And each time without any error log.

In the past I had errors (reported as error.txt) like 'unable to create the graphics device', but it looked like accidental ones, not stopping the game progress.
Quite often I got "system out of memory exception', but only in really advanced, complex games, like round above 400, big fleets, many colonies and many (like at least 30-40) ships under construction. I had a feeling that number of ships under construction was the most vulnerable point.
That is why I fought about a re-installation of some Win tools or even Win 10 reset.

I am going to record how I get that hang.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Weird hang - geordie

Post by geordie »

And the link to my video is:
https://mega.nz/file/gT4BSYRJ#k0IfhnnpI ... qp7uXu1HA0
The hang is about 4:18
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:37 pm Sometimes there was an updated screen after several minutes (yes, i tried to just wait), but the game was very, very slow and the game status in Task Manager was 'not responding'.
The problem appeared only once switching from the Colony Screen to the Colonies Tab. And each time without any error log.
Seems like your cpu gets busy with something. Did you check if there were any other tasks taking up lots of cpu?
What about an antivirus, did you discard that possibility?

I had a feeling that number of ships under construction was the most vulnerable point.
That's interesting. Did you check if having all those ships under construction, and not having any, in the same game/circumstances, changes anything? Performance wise, I mean.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Seems like your cpu gets busy with something. Did you check if there were any other tasks taking up lots of cpu?
What about an antivirus, did you discard that possibility?
I think it isn't cpu or memory problem:
Screenshot (58).jpg
Screenshot (58).jpg (796.9 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
That's interesting. Did you check if having all those ships under construction, and not having any, in the same game/circumstances, changes anything? Performance wise, I mean.
I would say that it influences a chance for a crash, but it doesn't exclude that. Simply I have to save every turn and usually I am able to play another 1-2 turns.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:02 pm And the link to my video is:
https://mega.nz/file/gT4BSYRJ#k0IfhnnpI ... qp7uXu1HA0
The hang is about 4:18
I'm guessing it doesn't happen always in the same colony?
Did you try doing some colonies, then do something else, do some more, etc? Meaning, not issue so many build orders in rapid succession.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

It is in different colony each time. I am going to check that using only F6 tomorrow, ops... today :)
Usually I was starting from sitrep and replace the trade goods in the end, so it rather had no difference. Weird that it was always only during that switch (from colony screen to colonies tab).
geordie
Captain
Captain

Re: Weird hang - geordie

Post by geordie »

:(
I have got that error even using last patch and F6 exclusively. I suppose I upgrade my colonies partially, in 2-3 turns and see if it occurs again.
The hang is related to a number of changes in colonies I am providing in given turn, because I got it again, after second switch to the colonies tab in that turn - after the changes made using pop-up colony list I only wanted to check if I upgraded energy buildings in all colonies :(
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I got that hang again - this time in the Colony Screen...
Screenshot (64).jpg
Screenshot (64).jpg (311.67 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
It is turn no. 327 and I have 163 systems and 27 minor members.
I cannot omit that error to continue my game.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Do you want me to take a look at your save? Which patch did you use?
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I got that error before and after the yesterday patch.
SP Dominion Huge Irregular 327.zip
(717.64 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Thanks.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I tried last patch, but also my laptop game (I used fresh installation) and got the hang exactly in the same moment as on the screenshot above (save 327) - trying to buy Moon Habitation in system Zuben Elakrab :(
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It happened to me too yesterday, but it was after giving all the orders. I was about to end turn, and decided to go to the research screen; when returning to the galaxy screen, the game froze.
But my CPU was at 100%.

Return to “Supremacy”