Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Warp Core Breach
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Ground Combat?

Post by Warp Core Breach »

Team,
How is ground combat handled? I've scored 3 buildings that give me +50% ground combat each, yet my troop transports don't seem to be improved by much. My Jem'Hadar troop transports started out around "90" each (similar to my Klingon playthrough), but adding these buildings hasn't seemed to impacted this value. The ratio I need for "green" on the invasion screen doesn't seem to have changed either. Just a bit below 150% seems needed to ensure victory. If the ratio is still red, does it mean I'm guaranteed to fail, or is it somewhat random and the closer I get to ~150%, the higher the likelihood of winning the planet?
Thanks!!
Warp Core Breach
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Ground Combat?

Also, what are Tellurite freighters good for? From the description, they sounded like troop transports, but I haven't been able to invade with them...
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Warp Core Breach wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:04 pm Team,
How is ground combat handled? I've scored 3 buildings that give me +50% ground combat each, yet my troop transports don't seem to be improved by much.
Ground Combat (and Ground Defense) are handled differently from BotF.
- Ground Combat is basically BotF's Ground Defense, a local combat strength bonus to the defender. There is no global modifier in Supremacy; both attacker and defender get modifiers for racial combat strength and Weapons tech level, just like in BotF.
- Ground Defense decreases orbital bombardment damage to the Garrison, and lowers the chance to hit of attacking troops vs defending troops.

My Jem'Hadar troop transports started out around "90" each (similar to my Klingon playthrough), but adding these buildings hasn't seemed to impacted this value.
That's "Crew" (number of troops) modified by race strength and Weapons TL. Attackers don't get any other modifiers, so that you don't end up needing only 1 or 2 TTs to take larger systems.

The ratio I need for "green" on the invasion screen doesn't seem to have changed either. Just a bit below 150% seems needed to ensure victory.
Yes, that's about it. It varies a bit, but usually 1.42~1.45. The color-code uses 1.42 as the threshold.

If the ratio is still red, does it mean I'm guaranteed to fail, or is it somewhat random and the closer I get to ~150%, the higher the likelihood of winning the planet?
Thanks!!
It is not an absolute guaranteed defeat, no, it's an approximation. I still need to improve that code, but when it is very close to 1.5 (whether red or green), it might go one way or the other. Adds some uncertainty to the thing. :wink:
In those situations, just to be on the safe side, it's better to add one more TT.
To notice that the more TTs you deploy, the higher the Garrison that will be left in the colony (up to the max allowed); if the Garrison is high enough (more than half the population), the colony will not rebel.

Also, what are Tellurite freighters good for? From the description, they sounded like troop transports, but I haven't been able to invade with them...
Nothing :wink:
We can easily make them TTs, but I don't think the Tellarites were ever known for being the soldiering type?

Freighters don't have a role in the game yet, and probably never will.
They could be used to haul systems resources, or food, or population between colonies (or civs), but it might be too much MM (to exploit it). Or be required to set up Trade Routes, but again, maybe too much MM.
There was also an idea to use them (and other ship types) to re-locate population in case of a natural disaster in a colony; ships have a stat for that.

I probably should have "de-activated" Freighters from the tech trees, not to create confusion, but...

edit: some corrections.
Warp Core Breach
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

thanks so much Iceman!

So then, when I get a building that says +50% ground combat (ex. Ketracel-White factory), that basically doesn't affect ground combat? Only Weapons Tech Level and racial modifiers?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It does if you are the defender.

Each race already has its racial combat strength modifier, so it doesn't make sense to have another modifier that essentially does the same thing. +GroundCombat (in Supremacy) represents additional garrison for specific structures, or static defense facilities, etc.

I'm not sure but I think the color-code might have gotten borked in the latest patch(es), due to the fixes I made to the calculations - I mean you can win a battle even if it shows red and is around the magic value of 1.42 or so. I'll have to check.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I usually have to have that factor above 2.00 (2.1 or 2.2 even) to get a green light for attacker's troops.
Is it related to my difficulty level (apart of defense buildings)?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:03 am I usually have to have that factor above 2.00 (2.1 or 2.2 even) to get a green light for attacker's troops.
Can you check if you can win the battle with lower ratios, please? Even if red.

Is it related to my difficulty level (apart of defense buildings)?
Difficulty level has no effect here.
Only combat strength of both sides, affected by groud defense if any.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Can you check if you can win the battle with lower ratios, please? Even if red.
At least once it worked, I pressed 'Enter' too fast.:) BTW - I usually have some (2 or even 3) transport ships spared after such conquest with high factor.

You can check that against Dominium in my last Klingon save.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:51 pm At least once it worked, I pressed 'Enter' too fast.:)
:mrgreen:

BTW - I usually have some (2 or even 3) transport ships spared after such conquest with high factor.
If the number of selected TTs would produce a higher Garrison than the colony would support after the subjugation (already counting casualties from the battle), excess TTs are not deployed/destroyed.

You can check that against Dominium in my last Klingon save.
Ok, will do. Thanks.

Return to “Supremacy”