Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Kirok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

No longer able to save games - SupremacyTest_20210113

Post by Kirok »

Greetings!

I have been playing release 20210113 since I downloaded it about 10 months ago and not had many issues until recently. I have not been able to save my game since turn 1437. I thought it may have been because I had too many saved games so I backed up everything before turn 1400 and moved them to my server, but that did not help. I am on the verge of eliminating the Borg after more than 900 turns of constant battles and really want to finish out this game, but if I can't save I don't know how I will be able to do that. If I upload the last saved game would anyone be able to look at it and see if it is fixable? Thanks!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: No longer able to save games - SupremacyTest_20210113

Post by Iceman »

Hi Kirok, welcome to the forums!

Turn what?! :wink:
Wow, that's a looong game! I wonder if your issue has something to do with that.

Are you playing pure 20210113 ? No patches applied? The patches *greatly* improve the experience.

Yes, please do upload the savegame, I'll try to check what the problem is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Did you ry using CTL + S in the galaxy screen for saving the game?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

If your issue has to do with the Save button being disabled, check this thread please.
Kirok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Kirok »

Hiya Iceman and thanks. Glad to be here!

Yes, it has been a long game indeed. A long war of attrition against the Borg. But I am in it to win it! I really can't say for certain if I applied the patches. If they were available when I downloaded 20210113 I likely did, I just don't recall when that was. I have downloaded them. If I patch the game now will it break my game in progress? I can always make a copy of my game dir, patch the game and find out, right? I'll work on that later today and let you know. If I need to upload a saved game, where do I go to do that?

It is not the issue of the SAVE button being disabled. I have seen that often, but if I just press the Enter key the game saves or I can exit the menu and go back into it and SAVE is active. I have not tried using CTRL+S to save. I will try that and see today as well. I did notice that the autosave game is turn 1438. Don't know if that means anything. How often does the game autosave?

Thanks!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Kirok wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:54 am If I patch the game now will it break my game in progress?
It most likely will not let you load the savegame, as there have been too many changes that affect saves.

I can always make a copy of my game dir, patch the game and find out, right?
Right!

If I need to upload a saved game, where do I go to do that?
Post it here. Zip the file, reply to this post, click on the Attachments tab below this text box, and attach the zip file.

I did notice that the autosave game is turn 1438. Don't know if that means anything. How often does the game autosave?
Autosaves are created every turn. But they are overwritten.
One thing you can try (if autosave is saving the game), though it requires some work, is after every turn, rename (or create a copy and rename that copy) the autosave file (to something like turnXXXX or whatever), and then load that save. That might allow you to continue your game.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

After you play a turn, could you please go to the Logs folder and zip 2 of the files there: Error.txt and Log.txt, and then attach them here too? Thanks!
They can probably shed some light on why you can't save the game.
Kirok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Kirok »

I tried using CTRL+S on the map but it wouldn't save. I tried renaming the autosave, loaded it and played a few turns. Saved the game and it worked, but only that one time. Repeated the process after a couple of turns with success. It looks like the autosave is not showing up until I exit the game and relaunch though. It's a little time consuming exiting and relaunching often but I am able to keep playing this game. :up:

I zipped the last saved game and tried to attach but error pops up saying the file is too large. It is 1.118mb zipped.

Thanks Iceman!
Kirok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Kirok »

Here are those logs you requested.
Attachments
Log files.zip
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks for the logs. It's an out of memory fatal error.
They might be useful.

I'm not sure if retiring (instead of exiting) works too? Less time consuming.
Kirok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Kirok »

Hi Iceman,

Well it has been a few weeks since I reported the saving issue and I wanted to let you know how I am progressing. I have found that if I save the game after each turn or 2 I have no problem, but the save issue returns if I try to go any further between saves. I have just gotten in the habit of doing a CTRL+S after each turn. I am at turn 1502 now and should should have the Borg eliminated by turn 1550 (going to take 24 turns to get my main fleets to the last cluster of Borg occupied worlds).

I also found that I do NOT have the updates applied. I think that after I have finished off the Borg I will patch the game and start over with a new game and see how it goes.

Best regards,
Kirok
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi Kirok!
Thanks for the update! Man, you're patient. :wink: I mean, with the whole hassle of having to save almost every turn. :shock:
Let us know how it goes with the Borg, I hope it's fun.

I think you'll be surprised how much the game has evolved in the last year or so. It's a lot more fun and challenging.

Cheers!
Kirok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Kirok »

Hello again. The battle still rages. I think the game may be broken now. I am on turn 1557 and around turn 1540 all of the other races fleets stopped moving on the map and all races including member races and allies show to be enraged towards me. Not sure exactly when, but it was after I eliminated the Borg homeworld, Unimatrix 01. I can't get to the last few Borg worlds because they are deep in Dominion held space and since the Dominion is enraged with me I cannot get them to agree to an open borders treaty so I can travel through their space. Everyone is enraged, yet Trust bar is at the max for all member and friendly races.

I declared war on the Dominion and started to conquer their systems to increase my range to where I can reach the last 5 Borg worlds, but empire morale began to plummet to the point where I had no credits incoming and was shelling out more per turn than I brought in. Fortunately I have a lot of credits accumulated. After about 40 turns I finally reached those last 5 worlds and stumbled on the main Borg feet of 44 ships, mostly Cubes. I assembled all of my fleets, totaling around 180 ships. 140 of those are Explorer III's, 22 are Tactical cruisers and 18 are Cruiser V's. It was Wolf-359 all over again as my fleets were toasted after several rounds of combat.

So I went back to the last turn before I declared war on the Dominion, which is where I am now on turn 1557. I am going to build another 60 ships, 8 more Tactical cruisers and 52 more Explorer III's, if I can and then try again. Will take 40 turns just for the 8 Tactical cruisers as I can only have 1 system that can build those and only 4 at a time. Going to try just building outposts across Dominion space to extend range instead of conquering systems this go round and hopefully keep empire morale up. I'll let you know how that goes! I am determined to finish off the Borg!!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Kirok wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:04 pm Hello again. The battle still rages.
Cool!

I think the game may be broken now. I am on turn 1557 and around turn 1540 all of the other races fleets stopped moving on the map
Could they be out of fuel? There's been lots of tweaks since then.

and all races including member races and allies show to be enraged towards me. Not sure exactly when, but it was after I eliminated the Borg homeworld, Unimatrix 01.
It shouldn't be because of that. Did you start synthesizing Red Matter?

I can't get to the last few Borg worlds because they are deep in Dominion held space and since the Dominion is enraged with me I cannot get them to agree to an open borders treaty so I can travel through their space.
As long as you don't have a NAP with them, you don't need it :wink: They're already enraged anyway. :cool:

Everyone is enraged, yet Trust bar is at the max for all member and friendly races.
This should be better now, but might still need more work.

I declared war on the Dominion and started to conquer their systems to increase my range to where I can reach the last 5 Borg worlds, but empire morale began to plummet to the point where I had no credits incoming and was shelling out more per turn than I brought in.
Federation citizens don't like being at war with many other civs at once. Wimps :twisted:

Fortunately I have a lot of credits accumulated. After about 40 turns I finally reached those last 5 worlds and stumbled on the main Borg feet of 44 ships, mostly Cubes. I assembled all of my fleets, totaling around 180 ships. 140 of those are Explorer III's, 22 are Tactical cruisers and 18 are Cruiser V's. It was Wolf-359 all over again as my fleets were toasted after several rounds of combat.
Ships stats have been tweaked quite a bit, particularly the Borg's. Would have been interesting to see how that battle would go with current patches.

So I went back to the last turn before I declared war on the Dominion, which is where I am now on turn 1557. I am going to build another 60 ships, 8 more Tactical cruisers and 52 more Explorer III's, if I can and then try again. Will take 40 turns just for the 8 Tactical cruisers as I can only have 1 system that can build those and only 4 at a time. Going to try just building outposts across Dominion space to extend range instead of conquering systems this go round and hopefully keep empire morale up.
Watch your maintenance costs, as stations are not covered by pop support!

I'll let you know how that goes! I am determined to finish off the Borg!!
:grin: Yes, please! Helluva game you have going there.
Good luck!
Kirok
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Kirok »

Hmm, yes I did start researching Red Matter around turn 1100. No idea what to do with it though, lol. Is that why all races are enraged? I don't remember what I did to start researching it. Maybe I constructed a science station in a system somewhere?? I would have to check that. Can you stop researching RM after you start? It doesn't really matter this game as I am so far in , but would be good to know for after I patch the game and begin a new one.

I have over 4.6 million credits banked, accumulating about 13,000 per turn at the moment, so I can afford to live in the Red for a bit if need be to carry out my goals. My concern is that I may not be able to defeat the Borg fleet even with the new ships under construction. What happens if I eliminate all the Borg controlled planets? Would the Borg show as eliminated at that point or must I destroy all of their ships as well?

Kirok-

Return to “Supremacy”