Map Editor

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

toffeeblue
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Map Editor

Post by toffeeblue »

Misfire wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:58 pm It's close. I had it all functional last night, but I discovered some other issues I need to take care of first. Repeated resizing of the map would quickly cause an out of memory exception. Got past that now, just have some cleanup to do.
Giving it a test today. Sorry been down with Rigellian Flu last two weeks.

Going to see if a canon enormous map adds to the immersion (e.g. Warp speeds more akin to canon) etc
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

toffeeblue wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:08 pm Giving it a test today.
Try the patch I just uploaded, has some more improvements to the map editor.
One of those improvements is when changing the size of the map, clicking on the + and - buttons with CTL pressed adds 10 instead of 2. Useful for creating large maps :wink:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:30 am Suggestions for improvements:

have Rogue be the default planet type in Nebulae instead of Barren (and Demon for Green stars)

edit: pending stuff
Misfire wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:05 pm Known issues:
-Need to add icon to display when a random system bonus is selected.
-"Map Loaded" text that displays on the single player start screen after loading a map is very blah and un-noticeable. Any ideas how to make this better?
Fixed.
We need to find a better icon for the random bonus though.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

So, I fixed a couple more things in the map editor, related to custom maps, and I need an opinion.

In the map options tooltip, how should the disabled options (those that are not valid due to the map being custom, marked red in the atatched pic) be handled?

1) keep the option name but remove the setting (will show as blank, or '-', or 'disabed', or 'n/a', or something else)
2) keep the option name and replace the setting with the word Custom
3) remove the option from the list, and display only the valid options

Except for the 1st option, GalaxySize, which should be displayed regardless, to indicate that it's a Custom map.
Attachments
tooltip CustomMap.png
tooltip CustomMap.png (49.01 KiB) Viewed 985 times
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

Iceman wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:01 pm So, I fixed a couple more things in the map editor, related to custom maps, and I need an opinion.

In the map options tooltip, how should the disabled options (those that are not valid due to the map being custom, marked red in the atatched pic) be handled?

1) keep the option name but remove the setting (will show as blank, or '-', or 'disabed', or 'n/a', or something else)
2) keep the option name and replace the setting with the word Custom
3) remove the option from the list, and display only the valid options

Except for the 1st option, GalaxySize, which should be displayed regardless, to indicate that it's a Custom map.
My opinion would be for Option 2.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I think I implemented 3. :mrgreen:

Here's a new version of the canon map, if anyone wants to take it for a spin.
Attachments
CanonMapHuge.zip
(8.05 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Lakotavar
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Lakotavar »

Is there a way to load this map for a MP game? I only found the option to create a map with the canon home quadrants.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lakotavar wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:55 pm Is there a way to load this map for a MP game?
Currently, no, I don't think so. Maybe Misfire is listening and he'll add that option to MP :mrgreen:
I'll add it to the issue tracker.

I only found the option to create a map with the canon home quadrants.
You can set the starting positions for the empires in the map, and set them as "random empire". Though the positions are fixed, who will start in each is not.
kaiidth
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by kaiidth »

Hello,
Perhaps you could help me. I was editing a map and saved it. When I tried to load it the next day, the editor reported: 'map loading failed'.
What could it be? I have invested much time in making the map. I hope there is a solution for the problem.

Thank you in advance.
kaiidth
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by kaiidth »

Here is the attachment.
Attachments
Canonv4.zip
(10.83 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi kaiidth.

One of the issues I cannot load the map is that you have set homesystems for a few minor civs that don't exist in the database:
ARKENITES
HUPYRIANS
etc

You also set a homesystems for the Vorta but they don't really exist as a civilization, they're just fluff (they're a race that is part of the Dominion civ).

I did manage to load your map by deleting the bottom half or so of the systems, so if there are any other issues they should be around there. Try cleaning up the systems mentioned above, and see what happens.

BTW, you can set a name for wormholes.
Visit the Supremacy official site for game related stuff.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I think I managed to narrow it down to the bottom part of the map file, namely from the Balduk system to the end.
You can edit the file with a text editor and find the Balduk system, and iterate from there, by deleting blocks of systems and checking if it loads in the map editor. It's about 400 lines.
kaiidth
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by kaiidth »

Thank you Iceman! I will look into it. By the way, I have added soms minors myself (in the databases) and up until the last addition in the editor, everything worked fine, also with the civs that have been added. But it is nice to know, that I can open the map file myself and that I can look for the error. Thank you again. Keep up the good work!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:up:
Maybe it's a system with a duplicated name?

Return to “Supremacy”