Map Editor

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Map Editor

Post by Misfire »

I've decided to take on the task of creating a map editor and wanted to ask if anyone has any input on what this should include. My thoughts:

On the new game configuration screen, create an option to load map data from a file. The game would then load map data from a file which would contain:
-Map size
-Position of all empire home systems
-Position of all minor home systems
-Position of all uninhabited systems
-Position of all other objects (wormholes, nebulae etc.)

Does anyone have an opinion on whether each home system location should be specific (i.e. Sol in sector 5,10, Romulus in 20,25) versus having generic starting positions defined for empire home systems, then assigned to each empire at random?

To keep the scope of this project smaller, I think it would be best to leave the individual system properties (planets, population etc.) to be set by the game rather than in the map file. Thoughts on this?

Any other ideas are welcome.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Map Editor

Post by Iceman »

Hi Misfire!
Misfire wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:03 pm I've decided to take on the task of creating a map editor
:up:

On the new game configuration screen, create an option to load map data from a file. The game would then load map data from a file which would contain:
-Map size
-Position of all empire home systems
-Position of all minor home systems
-Position of all uninhabited systems
-Position of all other objects (wormholes, nebulae etc.)
What about the other game options? Research Rate, Starting Facilities, etc.
Maybe have them be some default values? Normal Research Rate, Irregular Galaxy Type, etc?

Does anyone have an opinion on whether each home system location should be specific (i.e. Sol in sector 5,10, Romulus in 20,25) versus having generic starting positions defined for empire home systems, then assigned to each empire at random?
The former has the disadvantage of not being (very) replayable.
Maybe we could create one map (per galaxy size?) with specific locations and ship it with the game (like a savegame), and then the map editor would create generic positions?

To keep the scope of this project smaller, I think it would be best to leave the individual system properties (planets, population etc.) to be set by the game rather than in the map file. Thoughts on this?
You mean reading them from the HomeSystems.xaml file? I guess that would be the easiest way to do it.
Later we can revisit this if necessary.

Marginally related, not sure if we should consider empires starting with more than one system at higher starting levels, like in BotF.
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

What about the other game options? Research Rate, Starting Facilities, etc.
Maybe have them be some default values? Normal Research Rate, Irregular Galaxy Type, etc?
Do you mean have a default value specified in the map data? I think we would want to leave those open to be player specified at the start of the game, so they can still vary the research rate, starting facilities based on their preference. If that was determined solely by the map data, playing a specific map would be more like playing a "scenario." Not that that's a bad thing, just a different style. If all star positions are defined by the map file, the galaxy shape/size and star density selections wouldn't really have any relevance though.
The former has the disadvantage of not being (very) replayable.
Maybe we could create one map (per galaxy size?) with specific locations and ship it with the game (like a savegame), and then the map editor would create generic positions?
Yes re-playability had crossed my mind.
You mean reading them from the HomeSystems.xaml file? I guess that would be the easiest way to do it.
Later we can revisit this if necessary.
Yes it is the simple way to do it, I've got empire and minor placement based on an external file functional in this matter already. I can look into what it would take to include other things if that is what's best.
Marginally related, not sure if we should consider empires starting with more than one system at higher starting levels, like in BotF.
Funny you mention that. It crossed my mind a few days ago when I played my first higher tech level game. It certainly makes sense that a more advanced civilization would be more likely to have more than one system. Not sure if it is better for game play or not.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Misfire wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:46 pm Do you mean have a default value specified in the map data? I think we would want to leave those open to be player specified at the start of the game, so they can still vary the research rate, starting facilities based on their preference.
So the button you mentioned would allow you to select a map, and then take you to the single player start screen?
Sounds good.
Some of the Options should then be disabled - not just the ones you mentioned, but also Homesystems, and Borg (Special events)?

Yes it is the simple way to do it, I've got empire and minor placement based on an external file functional in this matter already. I can look into what it would take to include other things if that is what's best.
:shock: Cool!
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

So the button you mentioned would allow you to select a map, and then take you to the single player start screen?
Sounds good.
Some of the Options should then be disabled - not just the ones you mentioned, but also Homesystems, and Borg (Special events)?
Maybe a button right on the single player start screen that allows a map to be selected. When that option is chosen, it disables the appropriate selections.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ah, right, the button would be in the SPSS. It all makes sense now. For some reason I thought you were talking about the Main Menu... my bad, sorry!
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

Iceman wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:05 am Ah, right, the button would be in the SPSS. It all makes sense now. For some reason I thought you were talking about the Main Menu... my bad, sorry!
No problem, I should have been more specific.

I've got major, minor and uninhabited star systems being placed based on the map file. I think I am going to end up including system attributes in the map data. The game engine randomly generates the uninhabited systems attributes, which I really don't like. If you load a map, I think you should know what you're getting. I may leave the major and minor systems attributes defined by the xml file, not sure.

Another though I had about re-playability, I think predefined maps would be good for multiplayer. Even if you already know the map, it wouldn't necessarily make the game boring. You could ensure "fair" starting conditions and the layout could offer different choices to be made.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Misfire wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:20 pm I may leave the major and minor systems attributes defined by the xml file, not sure.
It's probably the best, as major homesystems are already kind of "balanced", and making them random might end up shafting some civs. As for minors, a number of them are already somewhat random, so I think I'd keep them too.

Another though I had about re-playability, I think predefined maps would be good for multiplayer. Even if you already know the map, it wouldn't necessarily make the game boring. You could ensure "fair" starting conditions and the layout could offer different choices to be made.
Maybe re-playability could be achieved (mostly) by having each minor civ have its own specific starting location, but for each new game, a random set of minors is chosen - pretty much like a normal game, but you won't have the Ferengi in every game in the same location, you might get the Bajorans in another location instead, or the Tholians, etc.
Maybe that's what you're already thinking?
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

Maybe re-playability could be achieved (mostly) by having each minor civ have its own specific starting location, but for each new game, a random set of minors is chosen - pretty much like a normal game, but you won't have the Ferengi in every game in the same location, you might get the Bajorans in another location instead, or the Tholians, etc.
Maybe that's what you're already thinking?
Yea I like that idea, maybe even something similiar for empires.

For now, I'm going to continue with what I already have just so I can keep this moving along (specific location defined by the map data for each civ). Adding in randoms later shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm going to play the attached map tonight. I think I've nullified the Klingon advantage... We'll see.
Attachments
Klingons.jpg
Klingons.jpg (231.4 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

I'm submitting the changes to get the map editor into the game. Once Iceman can take a look to make sure I did it right it should be available.

It's not done yet but is at the point where we can get it into the game for some testing and feedback. I created 1 map which i think is interesting, and I included a blank map for each of the different galaxy sizes for anyone who wants to play around with creating their own.

Known issues:
-Importing nebula names into the map editor has not been implemented yet. For now, they need to be named from the star names list.
-In the map preview and map editor screens, scrolling is noticeably laggy when the mouse cursor is over the map graphics vs not. I'm using an underpowered half tablet/half laptop (Pentuim Silver). Would like feedback if this is still an issue with a more appropriately powered machine.
-Changing the selected sector results in the graphics being redrawn multiple times. Possible performance issues with this, let me know if you experience a delay when selecting a new sector.
-When a system bonus (resource) is added, the bonus icon is not redrawn until the selected sector is changed.
-Need to add icon to display when a random system bonus is selected.
-Zoom does not center on selected sector or mouse cursor.
-In the editor, specific empires do not display their proper star type.
-"Map Loaded" text that displays on the single player start screen after loading a map is very blah and un-noticeable. Any ideas how to make this better?

Other notes:
-Planet density option is disabled once a map is loaded, but it still may have some effect. Moons are not currently in the map data and are generated by the game. I need to look into whether the planet density affects number of moons generated.
-I haven't tested on multiple monitor sizes. Let me know if there are any sizing issues with the map editor screen.
-Creating maps can be quite laborious (especially large). Should we have an option to place a small/medium/large uninhabited system with some predefined attributes?
-Editor can currently only be launched from the map preview screen (which is accessed from the load map dialog). Planning to add a button to the main menu for the editor.
-Planning to add a system view to the editor (similar to in game display).
-Editor needs to have an option the create new map instead of having to load an existing map to edit.

Tip: In the editor, the arrow keys scroll the map. Ctrl+arrow keys move the selected sector.

Let me know if there are any issues with it, or any other feedback on what features it should/shouldn't have.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Nice! It's getting late here @GMT, so I will probably only be able to take it for a spin tomorrow morning.
I'll release a test patch as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Just released a patch with the map editor.
Please give us feedback.
It might break savegame compatibility, so keep a copy of the bins of the previous patch.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I'm having some fun creating a canon-ish map.
Maybe we should start a competition for the best canon map(s). We could add it/them to the release build.
A full galaxy map, and a Alpha+Beta Quadrant map?

I need to look into whether the planet density affects number of moons generated.
Not directly, no. But the more planets, potentially the more moons ofc.

Should we have an option to place a small/medium/large uninhabited system with some predefined attributes?
Placing random systems (with random planets) would be great, as this might be where it gets more tedious.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch with improvements to the map editor.
It's looking really great!
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

I believe this patch will break previous saved games again, so finish up anything you care about before installing. This should be the last patch that affects prior saved games (for purposes of the mapeditor anyways)

Return to “Supremacy”