Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Latest Version unable to see/Load Saved Games

Post by TempestWales »

Hi All,

Been playing this game for quite a while, however after updating to the latest version (patch_20220419_MapEditor) I'm no longer abled to see saved games in the Saved Game folder.

The issue might be caused by the latest version of the game not able to load/see saved games in the folder (Probably not) or because of the way I've set up my Saved games, I use a Folder Junction to store the games on my Windows Profile/Saved Games folder which in of itself is a redirected Windows Network Folder on my Windows Domain Fileserver.

In the previous versions it works correctly, essentially Saves Games are saved to my Redirected Folders profile which syncs to the file share and allows either my main Gaming PC and my RDWeb Remote Desktop server to resume games. The latest version is also capable of saving a game to the folder including the autosave but still cant see it.

See attachments.
Attachments
BOFT2_OldSavedJunctionFolder.png
BOFT2_OldSavedJunctionFolder.png (519.01 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
BOFT2_OldSavedJunctionFolder2.png
BOFT2_OldSavedJunctionFolder2.png (485.03 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
BOFT2_SavedJunctionFolder.png
BOFT2_SavedJunctionFolder.png (422.8 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Last edited by TempestWales on Sun May 15, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Latest Version unable to see/Load Saved Games

Post by TempestWales »

Here's what my file structure looks like for anyone needing clarification.

Saying that, I've just noticed that the latest save file games are 1kb, and therefore dead.
Attachments
BOFT2_SavedJunctionFolder2.png
BOFT2_SavedJunctionFolder2.png (23.04 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
BOFT2_SavedJunctionFolder3.png
BOFT2_SavedJunctionFolder3.png (53.28 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
BOFT2_SavedJunctionFolder4.png
BOFT2_SavedJunctionFolder4.png (162.38 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi TempestWales, welcome to the forums!

The MapEditor version of the game is not compatible (savegame-wise) with the old version, and as such it will not show any previous saved games in the Load Game dialog.

If you start a new game with the MapEditor version, and save it, will it show in the Load Game dialog?

To finish older games, you should use the regular (non-ME) patch. If you're going to start a new game, you should use the ME patch.
Sorry about the inconvinience!
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

Iceman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:09 am Hi TempestWales, welcome to the forums!

The MapEditor version of the game is not compatible (savegame-wise) with the old version, and as such it will not show any previous saved games in the Load Game dialog.

If you start a new game with the MapEditor version, and save it, will it show in the Load Game dialog?

To finish older games, you should use the regular (non-ME) patch. If you're going to start a new game, you should use the ME patch.
Sorry about the inconvinience!
Thankyou for the warm welcome, long time fan of yours truly and this game. The answer to that question is no, in the folder image above the Save game files dated 14/05/2022 (SP Federation Huge Irregular 151 / 121, and .autosave) are from the Map Editor Version, they also didn't save correctly as they are only 1kb in size.

I've rolled back to the previous version, and can load the other games. Its honestly not an inconvenience, but I thought to report the issue. I've surprisingly had very few bugs, only a few when the game dies on a turn, which has then been fixed in the next update.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ok, thanks for the report. I'll relay this to Misfire,so that he can take a look. Might be low priority though, as he's currently working on the combat engine :wink:
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

Is creating the 1kb saves repeatable? If so, could you save another game then upload your error.txt and log.txt files?

There was an issue with the save game directory in an earlier map editor patch, but that issue was fixed. I can't think of how the map editor could be affecting the saving of games, but I'll take another look to see if I missed something.
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

Yes, the 1kb saved games are repeatable, log files and saved games are attached.

Error.txt and other logs are empty, only log.txt has data (With save errors!).

I've also set up a copy with Map Editor and a standard Saved Games folder, this works as expected. So it appears the issue is with saving games to Folder Junctions.

Its understandable, that this will be a very low priority, as its probably only myself that will be doing this. Failing that a settings option to store saved games in Documents\Saved Games\Supremacy\ would be well appreciated! :wink:
Attachments
SP Federation Medium Irregular 18 Map Editor2.sav
(51 Bytes) Downloaded 72 times
.autosav.sav
(51 Bytes) Downloaded 63 times
Log.txt
(33.93 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

I made some changes for the next release. The gameoptions related to loading a map from a file will no longer be saved in the savegame data (it's irrelevant once the map has been loaded anyway). This should restore compatibility of savegames between the map editor and non-mapeditor versions of the game. Any games saved with the previous mapedtor patches will not be valid however.

I'm not sure if it is going to solve the problem you're having or not, let me know once we get the new version uploaded. If it doesn't I'll look further into it.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's great news! Keeping saves compatible helps a lot.
:up:
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

Misfire wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:35 am I made some changes for the next release. The gameoptions related to loading a map from a file will no longer be saved in the savegame data (it's irrelevant once the map has been loaded anyway). This should restore compatibility of savegames between the map editor and non-mapeditor versions of the game. Any games saved with the previous mapedtor patches will not be valid however.

I'm not sure if it is going to solve the problem you're having or not, let me know once we get the new version uploaded. If it doesn't I'll look further into it.
farnsworth.jpg
farnsworth.jpg (54.05 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Good news everyone!

Its fixed with the latest patch!
glowron_glory.jpg
glowron_glory.jpg (66.04 KiB) Viewed 1794 times

Return to “Supremacy”