Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

NayThanLok
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Saving the Game

Post by NayThanLok »

Hi,

I was just wondering something. when you save the game , it only saves from the very start of the turn you saved on?

So if something goes wrong at the start of the next turn (like losing a battle) and you load up the previous turn that you’ve just saved - you’ll have to repeat everything you did on that turn all over again.

Can the game not save everything right up to the moment of the save?

Thanks
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Saving the Game

Post by Martok »

No, it should save everything you did during that turn right up to the point you actually saved the game.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Nope, NayThanLok is right, any action you take is lost if you retire/exit before saving.
Not sure why Mike made it this way, I think he explained it (some 10+ years ago), but I can't recall.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Iceman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:02 am Nope, NayThanLok is right, any action you take is lost if you retire/exit before saving.
Before saving? Even if you save before retire/exit, the actions are lost. It only remembers the start of the saved turn, regardless of when you try to save the game.

NayThanLok, I feel your pain.. everyone does. Especially in late game.
phanthomx13
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by phanthomx13 »

So, I have encountered a problem I can't save my game past turn 169 apparently the save file is too large to load here and that seems to be the problem on my end as well any suggestions or workarounds.
Log.txt
(12.48 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

Talking of Saving the game, is it possible to have the game Save to Individual User folders i.e.
%username%\My Documents\My Games\Star Trek - Supremacy\Saved Games
Rather than in the Install Folder\Saved Games? As I have other users who play the game on my PC and don't want accidental deletes, overwrites, continuations etc.

Preferably using system variables, rather than a hard coded path (I use Redirected Folders at home, there's nothing weird about that! :eek: ).
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

In short, issue is with the name and location of what you are suggesting, considering, os's this game supports :lol:

Just an idea, but, there is nothing preventing you from having your own copy of game in that very place :razz:
► Show Spoiler
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

TempestWales wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:26 am Talking of Saving the game, is it possible to have the game Save to Individual User folders i.e.
Rather than in the Install Folder\Saved Games? As I have other users who play the game on my PC and don't want accidental deletes, overwrites, continuations etc.

Preferably using system variables, rather than a hard coded path (I use Redirected Folders at home, there's nothing weird about that! :eek: ).
That's how it used to be, many moons ago, but I changed it to make it easier for people to share their savegames, for bug fixing purposes.
Eventually, it might be changed back, for the 1.0 release.
(though I do like having all files in the same location, strangely enough)
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

Iceman wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:59 am
TempestWales wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:26 am Talking of Saving the game, is it possible to have the game Save to Individual User folders i.e.

That's how it used to be, many moons ago, but I changed it to make it easier for people to share their savegames, for bug fixing purposes.
Eventually, it might be changed back, for the 1.0 release.
(though I do like having all files in the same location, strangely enough)
I thought was the case, just thought I was misremembering.
phanthomx13
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by phanthomx13 »

Sorry I don't want my post to get buried and would love to finish my game lol did anyone have any input on my question? Or is that play through a lost cause?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

phanthomx13 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:12 pm Sorry I don't want my post to get buried and would love to finish my game lol did anyone have any input on my question? Or is that play through a lost cause?
I sent you a PM about this. I need a savegame so that I can check what happened.

Return to “Supremacy”