star trek: supremacy [BOTF 2]!?

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

Just took a look at the website. They're haven't been any updates in a long time.
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

what website did you look at?

There have been quite a few updates recently like for Supremacy where now all races are playable and the Combat Engine with new demos and videos:

http://www.youtube.com/v/_w8QfXkG7D8&ap=%2526fmt%3D18
http://www.youtube.com/v/9ZPZREOUg9Q&ap=%2526fmt%3D18
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

JeanLucPicard1, if you're looking at the Supremacy website, then don't bother looking at it. That website is maintained by JeanNYGUARD, not by Mike, and Jean isn't really doing a very good job of it. Mike releases updates incrementally; sometimes several times a week, sometimes once a month, depending on how busy he is. I know for a fact though that an update is coming out in the next few days because that update includes the minor races and buildings content update that I have been personally working on for the past six months.

As Mal said, the last game update (Which was only a week or two ago) also added in the empire selection screen, so you can now play as any one of the five empires.

...Unfortunately we haven't got any new interfaces for the other empires yet (They all use the Federation LCARS one for the time being), but new interfaces will be coming in a future update one day.

I don't know when you last downloaded a copy of the game, but it now comes with a built-in auto updater that runs whenever you play the game. It will compare your game files against those held on the server, and, if there are any differences, will notify that an update is available then download it. If you haven't downloaded a copy of the game in the last...three months or so, you might want to grab a new copy from This Post. In fact, check out that thread on a regular basis, as it is maintained much better than the Supremacy website is.
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
Army40
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Army40 »

Downloaded it again yesterday and played for a while before heading for work.....this is awesome.

My only concern is....there's so much things to build. Sol has a population of 195 and basically you run out of energy pretty fast and you either have to power down some structures of have your food growth go into negative.

For now it's not a big dead because there's no working AI but how can this game become playable if you need to put some resources on Intel?

Planets with a population of 30 even 50 are totally useless you either spend on food or to power some structures and so far I've found only one system with a population of 415.

Overall the game looks good and it's good thing there's no AI just yet as to master this game needs to get some used to.
chronus
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by chronus »

where can i download supremacy?
kingy
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by kingy »

@chronus

hear the link,

http://star-trek-games.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=53

this download is a bit old, but it come with a auto updater, so when u start it for the first time it will update to the latest

have fun
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

Army40, your population concerns are concerns that I also hold myself, but unfortunately there is no way to easily fix it - at least not yet.

The game works out populations based on a complex formula - I believe BOTF just used predefined values. The Supremacy formula takes into account the size of the planet, the planet type, and how "ideal" that planet is for the inhabiting race. Basically, every race in the game has certain planetary preferences. Humans for example like Terran planets, the Klingons like Jungles, and the Cardassians like warm Deserts.

If a planet is ideal for the inhabiting race, it will have a high population and growth rate. If however the inhabiting race is not suited to the planetary conditions, the maximum population will be low and grow much more slowly. As an example, if you took a system of just Desert planets and colonised it with the Federation, it would have a lower maximum population and growth rate than if that same system was colonised by Cardassians.

Since the game doesn't use tables as with BOTF to set the sizes of planets, the physical population levels can't be increased. So i've asked Mike (The developer) to add in an extra modifier to the population calculation - population density. This would allow me to manually set in the editor whether a race has a sparse or overcrowded population for instance, which would be extremely useful for the Empires or for minor races that have extreme population problems (Such as the B'omar). Unfortunately, Mike says that this would add yet more processing requirements to the game - and there's already a problem with the sheer amount of processing power and stats the game needs to track. He therefore might not implement this feature. :(

The change in the way that populations are calculated has other effects on the way the game works as well - such as with terraforming. Terraforming will physically cause a planet to change class - and multiple terraforming events may be needed to make a planet "ideal". This will also require heavy research investment on your part to gain access to such technology. Terraforming hasn't yet been implemented be will be added in a future update.

One thing that will make the population problem easier though is that there are structures that allow you to increase the maximum population and growth rates of systems, which was not possible in BOTF. The population structure allows you to colonise moons - although this structure is buggy so has been disabled for the time being. The moons in the game are completely random, and there is no way to manually set them. That's why Earth sometimes has no moon or even sometimes has five of them! The population growth buildings do work however, and there are quite a few of them depending on the planet type. You can build Atmospheric Condensers on Desert planets, Advanced Irrigation Networks on Barren planets, or Desalination plants on Oceanic planets for instance. Each building has its' own separate research requirements, and have been implemented as part of my buildings and minor races update. (So you might not have it yet)

As for the energy problem, that was going to become even more of a problem with my update - because I added even more buildings to the game. So I bumped up the output of the energy structures by 25% in my update to compensate. I doubt this will be enough, but I want to get some feedback before I bump it up more.

In other news, we've got our Sharepoint Service back, so we've started uploading files to it again. We use Sharepoint as our filehosting service, so people can submit music, voice acting, images, ship models, whatever towards the games. That means game development will be even faster from now on. :mrgreen:
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."

Return to “Supremacy”