Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Max_Sparta
Ensign
Ensign

star trek: supremacy [BOTF 2]!?

Post by Max_Sparta »

Hi all!

Dunno if this is the right place to put this but has anyone else come across this new game in the works?

Heres a Link to the official site

http://www.startreksupremacy.com/

Is this being produced from scratch? Because i noticed from some screenshots that it shares some of the Images from the Original game

So Whadaya think?

Share your thoughts! :D
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Go-> Modules-> Web Links-> Fan Sites-> BOTF 2 Fan Game

Greatest BotF2 projects are Supremacy & BotE(no trek content yet :(, but ready for play)
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Antni
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Antni »

yeah i played it and it has promise i suppose it'll be a good game when its finished.
"Speak for yourself sir I plan to live forever" Cmdr William Riker.
jaruler
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jaruler »

lol when its finished.

when i downloaded it i was expecting some goals and a semi working game for a beta.

but after waiting ages for download and the installing and patching/updated. chose roms and got going. then found that i can not even build any ships and anything be be built with 0 turns almost and just did not seem like there was anything to do except clicking on turn.

really is that all there is to it so far.

the map seems like it will be 3 times the size which is good but with no way to explore it why even give the option to have a huge one. graphics are the same when it comes to 2d pictures. but ships have been enhanced a bit it seems.

plus the nost annoying was that each turn had to for some reason RECIEVE game data from a server!!! heaven knows why as i was not made aware it would be doing that prior.

strange strange strange

i suppose maybe if we can see how they got the map the size bigger we can cross reference it with BOTF 1 then maybe we can see how to expand the map in the current working botf?
Weirdness
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Weirdness »

Hmm.... I think along those lines too. I wonder what MStrobel's whole plan is here. I always wondered if he can get more done by cooperating with some of the most productive modders here. If he already is, then I wonder about the nature of the game BOTF as a whole. Does MStrobel have to make such a step to make BOTF what it should have been, or could he get more done salvaging the game and keep adding to it? I am by no means a programmer or hex editor as some people here are, just a 29 year old trekkie both fascinated and disappointed with vanilla BOTF who stumbled upon this site while looking for patches for my crashes (big thank you Hades3D!!)

As for that receiving game data from a server, I think thats just an erroneous message which means something like 'calculating AI's next turn'.
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

isn't it obvious? His plan is to learn programming und refining .NET strategies plus having fun coding a game. Nothing less, nothing more.

The server message refers to multiplayer games, which naturally have one host=server and many players=clients. In a singleplayer game now, the server is the same as the client but still, he uses the same infrastructure so contacting the server means nothing more than contacting your own machine via the network. In a multiplayer case it could mean contacting another player's computer to get the turn end data from him.

it's not the same server as the one where the automatic updates are coming from.

@jaruler: Supremacy is 2 years behind BotE in terms of playable beta (mstrobel started 2 years after us with coding). If you want something like that, try out BotE for now.
jaruler
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jaruler »

sure is there a linky to it?

thanks and yes i am lazy :P
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

Last edited by Malvoisin on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
war800
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by war800 »

yeah, i started botE, and it's a fun game. i just wish that they didn't take out all the star trek elements from it like they had in the beginning
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

me too actually, but both ST:Conquest and our fun factor were the reason we did that.

anyway, with the alpha5 version we'll attempt to reinstate trek into our game :).
jaruler
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jaruler »

the link is dead :P anyone have a live one?
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

war800
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by war800 »

Malvoisin wrote:me too actually, but both ST:Conquest and our fun factor were the reason we did that.

anyway, with the alpha5 version we'll attempt to reinstate trek into our game :).
you guys really should. i don't even remember the reason behind taking out the trek part of the game.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

So they don't get sued. :wink:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

exactly. ST Conquest was just a little too much turn-based strategy to really feel safe having our game also going into the same direction as theirs at the same time. People were already complaining at Bethesda's official boards, that our game was better than Conquest :lol:. That was the trigger to pull the communication cord like the British say.

Besides, having your own content has several other benefits too like a little more freedom (no st canon adherence ;)), a version, that you can show around everywhere, also where people care about copyrights (in a strict, almost "academic" sense) and you also can pull people towards your game that dislike trek (okay, we really wouldn't want them in here but there's nothing against having them on a separate forum isn't it ;)).

well, when the new version comes out, we simply ask paramount officials for permission to serve a trek mod. I'm sure we get an answer somehow..

Return to “Supremacy”