Windows 7 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Xactilian
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Windows 7 problems/solutions please post them here

Post by Xactilian »

Hello, I have a problem that I am not seeing anywhere else on the forums. After installing using the multi I encounter an issue when running the game. It will work fine for a seemingly random amount of time, then CTD. At which point the trek.exe file has vanished, necessitating a reinstall. The first few times this happened basically as soon as it starts up, I get a black screen, then CRD. The last time I set compatibility to Windows 2000/ME and it worked for about 10 minutes, before the crash happened and the trek.exe file is no more. It literally disappeared before my eyes, since I had the botf folder open when it crashed, and as I watched the trek.exe file vanished. Also this time a lot more from the botf folder is gone. There are only 9 files left, and the ENGLISH folder is empty entirely, and the installer itself has gone. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

Edit: On most recent attempt everything went fine. i played for well over an hour, saved and quit. Everything was as it should. Then I tried to start the game up again, got a black screen for a couple of seconds before CTD, and when I checked, yup, the trek.exe file was gone.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Xactilian wrote:Edit: On most recent attempt everything went fine. i played for well over an hour, saved and quit. Everything was as it should. Then I tried to start the game up again, got a black screen for a couple of seconds before CTD, and when I checked, yup, the trek.exe file was gone.
this sounds like an anti virus program flagging and auto deleting exe?

if this is the case please let us know what anti virus software so the trek.exe can be submitted to them for review, and when approved then allowed. (this has happened before with other files)

if you are comfortable you should be able to go into your setting of the anti virus program and allow location/files.
Xactilian
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Xactilian »

Aha, I hadn't thought of that, but when I went and looked, my antivirus (Bullguard) had been busy quarantining files from botf. It says that the trek.exe was trying to "hijack (run itself as part of)" another program. Just for my own peace of mind, could someone tell me why my antivirus might think that?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Xactilian wrote:Just for my own peace of mind, could someone tell me why my antivirus might think that?
so many reasons only Bullguard could tell you. but most common reason would be "file name", but once they look at file it should be allowed.

I took a quick look and Bullguard site, and could not find a file submit for review. :mad: I hope your software has option to submit file. (if option mark as you think file is safe as game exe)

But I encourage you to submit files to Bullguard so this issue can be resolved, (if you got files from this site)
Westmensch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Westmensch »

Hi there everyone,
is there any fix I have missed for screen flickering ?
I reinstalled with different graphic settings, rebooted the PC, switched mouses, turned on and off the compatability mode, ran as admin and used the mpr++ and the other set of .dll files.
I am running a two months old Win7 x64 OS and I have already played BotF on this machine years ago. I think the last version of the UDM I have played was c and in the hundreds of hours I have spend in the UDM mod I have never had that problem.

Kudos to the UDM mod at this point. Probably my most played game ever.

Edit: For some reason it started working without doing anything. This game is amazing. Even after so many years it fixes the bugs it creates by itself :mrgreen:
law7441
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by law7441 »

hoping someone can help, I read over the past pages, used alot of the advice and nothing as worked and just curious to know if anyone else can give, some reasons maybe,

try compatibility, and setting changes, try hades and joker patches.

nothing worked

the game work but it very sluggish, in normal game, only thing not so is when the battles are on which strange, it rarely crashes when be playing, same for battles too.

personally am at lost why, got new computer, but there asn't be anything major changed except that graphic card is geforce, as to ATI.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

law7441 wrote:got new computer,
since you posted in this topic new system is windows 7?
law7441 wrote:the game work but it very sluggish
explain sluggish.
law7441
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by law7441 »

yes windows 7 or not post in the windows 7 area.

well mouse icon is drag and disppearing on start up up untll enter the game, mouse icon still drag bit and the game itself take few seconds to response properly, like want enter research, intel etc.

same happens with systems as well, ships, battles only area that act normally when playing so far.
greenpeace
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by greenpeace »

4) Sluggish gameplay, mouse behaviour

Solution

Download

ddraw.dll MD5: 54bb31d0eed33a487de145f118a75df3
libwine.dll MD5: 2b083c0af9c5ca9f7681bdeeb7eca8c4
wined3d.dll MD5: 500453184e14d73f9a00ac749d5a3c94

from
from
http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html
(http://bitpatch.com/downloads/ie-ddrawfix.zip)
or
http://tore.cnc-comm.com/TS_Win8fix.zip

Copy the three dlls into BOTF root folder. The game runs now smoothly.
Just note it will take trek.exe a while to start up. (20-25 seconds on my i5 4670k)
But it plays beautifully
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

law7441 wrote:yes windows 7 or not post in the windows 7 area.

well mouse icon is drag and disppearing on start up up untll enter the game, mouse icon still drag bit and the game itself take few seconds to response properly, like want enter research, intel etc.

same happens with systems as well, ships, battles only area that act normally when playing so far.
the reason I asked is this is a normal/expected problem on windows 8/10, you might try some of the solution there like dxwnd or mpr++

other than that you could install DirectX 9 redist
and check your video driver from manufacture (not windows update)
law7441
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by law7441 »

I have video drivers update through nvidia itself not windows.

will check window 8/10 area and reply back if they be helpful or not and thank you for replying
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I don't think latest video drivers will change a thing. I can't think of any possible effect any video driver from 2016 could have on this old game.
TalonKarrde
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by TalonKarrde »

greenpeace wrote:
4) Sluggish gameplay, mouse behaviour
Solution (...) Download

ddraw.dll MD5: 54bb31d0eed33a487de145f118a75df3
(...)
Just note it will take trek.exe a while to start up. (20-25 seconds on my i5 4670k)
But it plays beautifully
Hi, I don't know about the original poster, but that one solved my problem perfectly. Thanks!

I had a working BotF on Windows 7 Installation and now upgraded from an older
AMD Radeon to a Nvidia Geforce GTX970 (actually a pretty fast beast).
But BotF had become unplayable, I needed 8 seconds to scroll one row in the map.
Now it works again :-)
jonez34
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jonez34 »

Not sure what to do, i downloaded the game, but when i move the mouse the screen will blurr completely unreadable, i can move over some items and they return but when i move off it blurrs back what do i need to do to fix thanks

amd 4130 Quad core 3.80
8 GB
64 bit operating system windows 7 home premium
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

jonez34 wrote:Not sure what to do, i downloaded the game, but when i move the mouse the screen will blurr completely unreadable, i can move over some items and they return but when i move off it blurrs back what do i need to do to fix thanks

amd 4130 Quad core 3.80
8 GB
64 bit operating system windows 7 home premium
this sounds like a video problem, I suggest creating a video game/program "profile" for botf and make sure you turning off morphological filtering and crossfire. this can normally be done in nvidia control panel or AMD Catalyst Control Center

Return to “Support Archive”