Windows 7 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

billy66bare
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by billy66bare »

wOOt!!! The 260 WHQL drivers fixed it, the beta wouldn't, but the certified ones did!
Thanks for trying, Peter1981 and
billy66bare
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by billy66bare »

The 260 drivers fixed it. All is well.
Jon-l
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Jon-l »

it worked for me as well. wootsauce!

thank you for solving this beast of a problem.
Jauxter
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Got it to work on Win 7 x64

Post by Jauxter »

I am working on a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, service pack 1 installed. I have the most recent drivers for ATI cards released on 3-29-11. My system is:

AMD Phenom 2 810 Quad-core
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT UDP 5
Sapphire ATI-based 3850 Radeon 512MB x2 (crossfire)

An important thing to note: when playing the game, you need to disable crossfire mode. For me, when I left it on, I would have "mouse trails", little images of the game cursor wherever I moved the mouse, and they wouldn't go away.

I installed it using the Main Multi Installer 1.02 from the download section, and I installed the vanilla version. When it installs, it puts a full copy on the hard disk, so you don't need the CD in the drive to play. That alone was not enough to get it to run stable. I had to monkey with settings a few times, but I finally found a combination that didn't freeze up my computer 5 minutes into the game. My stbotf.ini I set to DIRECT3D instead of software.

The compatibility settings I have are Run in 640x480 screen resolution, disable visual themes, and Disable display scaling. Originally, the Run this program in compatibility mode box was set for Win XP ser. 3. The game did run with that on, but the game would freeze up about 5 minutes into it. With the box unchecked, the game runs stable. I have put in about 10 hours of problem free gaming using this setup.

Don't waste your time trying XP Mode for Win 7. I installed that and tried running another game (Rebellion) using it. On the Microsoft site, it states that XP Mode is for business owners who want to run their older productivity software. I was unable to make adjustments to the environment, like changing the video adapter or video resolution. The stock video adapter is from about 10 years ago, and the game itself was in a small window on my 24" screen. Definitely not made for any kind of gaming.

Now, when the game first starts, and you get to the opening menu, my screen was dark until I moved the mouse. Then it looked like my screen was having an epileptic seizure, as different parts of the main menu would come up. It is clear enough for you to choose start a new game, load a save game, etc., but you do have to move your mouse over the right side of the screen to make those visible. Once inside the game, everything is fine.

Hope this helps.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

I have no problems with BotF, but when the movie starts, and I hit the mouse buttons I also do get the screen "flickering" sometimes, but not all the time.

I have lernt to have my mouse on the right side and click a button there and then everything goes back to normal.

I guess I am so use to this, that it is normal now. :)
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Peter1981
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Peter1981 »

I get this on vista as well sometimes.
lightsbr21
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by lightsbr21 »

Hey all, after watching my brother play a couple of the mods on here, I decided to download it myself, but I'm having the same problem as a couple other people. When I start it up, I get the crazy lines that there are screen shots of a couple pages back. I tried XP compatibility mode, and the best I could get it to do was no lines, but the screen was frozen on the main title page, so the lines weren't really a problem so much as I couldn't see anything.

I'm running Win 7 64-bit. My computer is practically brand new. There are about seven hundred suggested fixes on here, but I have no idea where to start. Suggestions?

I started off with the main multi installer, with the vanilla version, then tried two of the mods, but none of them worked. Help would be appreciated.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

try to set display resolution to 800x600 16bit before executing botf
that's the resolution botf uses
maybe that helps

if not supported by your system at least you know the reason
if 16bit is supported, maybe you still can get it to work in windowed mode than

else try updating your video card drivers ;)

gl
lightsbr21
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by lightsbr21 »

Flocke wrote:try to set display resolution to 800x600 16bit before executing botf
that's the resolution botf uses
maybe that helps

if not supported by your system at least you know the reason
if 16bit is supported, maybe you still can get it to work in windowed mode than

else try updating your video card drivers ;)

gl
Tried the resolution fix, didn't work.

Computer is almost brand new, I can't imagine they'd updated the video card drivers to the point where it would matter at some point in the last month and a half. But I'll check anyway.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

@ lightsbr21, did you use a download manager when downloading the multi installer?
PRIUSQUAM PRAESENS DAMNATUS SALVENS :
HIC HOMO NESCIENS. QUAE FUTURA EST ?

EST PLANE VANUM?
MAGNIFICANDUM?
ERROR AUT SANUM?
O FORTUNA EST!
QUA?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

with screen frozen in compability mode, did you mean you had a black screen?
I sometimes got this with my vista laptop till I moved mouse over a button on the right, then it began to flicker but once in game all was good.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

HsojVvad wrote:@ lightsbr21, did you use a download manager when downloading the multi installer?
you couldn't even install it if you had a corrupted download...
lightsbr21
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by lightsbr21 »

HsojVvad wrote:@ lightsbr21, did you use a download manager when downloading the multi installer?
I used whatever Firefox has. I even tried to copy the file from my brother's computer, where it plays fine, and got an identical problem.
lightsbr21
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by lightsbr21 »

Flocke wrote:with screen frozen in compability mode, did you mean you had a black screen?
I sometimes got this with my vista laptop till I moved mouse over a button on the right, then it began to flicker but once in game all was good.
It'll freeze on either the title screen or part of the opening movie or something. I can move my mouse around and click on some of the buttons, like you said, and it even seems to move the thing forward to the next set of options, but the screen itself never actually changes, it sticks with the same frozen image.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

1. what video card does system use?

2. does it use DX10 or DX9?

this is a system related problem, and since it is a newer system you might want to contact support of your video card or system.

thunderchero

Return to “Support Archive”