XP problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Icejazz
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Icejazz »

Yes, I have no problem with the music, so i'd guess the codec is not the same....

Maybe I just need to reinstall some MediaPlayer pack, to have back the correct codec...
Could you tell me which v of WindowMediaPlayer you have installed ? just to cross check...
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Sorry, I normally don't use windows. I have botf installed in wine.

I never installed any codecs on windows for botf though. The problem is probably somewhere else.
Icejazz
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Icejazz »

Hi DCER,
well, I just tried the game on another PC with XPsp2, and it works fine....
I guess it 's a good time to install a fresh Windows.
Thx for your help, and for UE.
TurboC
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by TurboC »

I had BotF working pretty well (XP Pro SP3). I had used some solution I found elsewhere on the web (not sure where) to get it working in XP, but it was pretty stable most of the time. Then I had to reformat my hard drive for various reasons. Fresh install of windows, applied all patches. Reinstalled BotF 1.0 from CD, installed fine after some fiddling with task manager. I tried Joker's 1.02 patch onto the 1.0 (hopefully I don't need to use the official 1.02 first?) Installed fine. However, the game seems a lot crashier than my old install. I've crashed 6 times so far in 200 turns. Usually I will do some action, the game freezes and keeps looping about a second of sound over and over. Every time I have to ctrl-alt-del for task manager, then end task and lose my progress. I save often but sometimes it happens on the save screen. I thought Joker's patch was supposed to fix "everything"? Do you vanilla players still crash like this? Any fixes?
Dnuhd
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dnuhd »

Hello i'm new here and i have a question:

I want to open the german.snd in Botf. At first i cant open it, than i read some Posts in this Thread and i do it the same way as Icejazz with the SFX.snd.
Now i can open the german.snd with an audio editor, but everytime i want to listen to it, the voices are skewed. What can i do to hear the voices without mush?
Big sorry for my bad english i hope you understand my problem.

Sollte hier jemand des deutschen mächtig sein, schreib ich das ganze nochmal ausführlicher auf Deutsch:

Ich wollte die german.snd sound datei öffnen, ging zuerst aber nicht. Ich hab mich dann im I-net umgeschaut und bin auf diesen Thread hier gestossen. Hab ein bisschen gelesen und mir dann einen Sound-Editor runtergeladen. Mit dem Editor kann ich die german.snd Datei endlich öffnen, jedoch sind jedesmal wenn ich die Datei anhören will extrem starke störgeräusche im vordergrund. Man kann die Stimmen hören, jedoch werden sie von den Störgeräuschen großteils überlagert. Woran liegt das? Kann man etwas dagegen tun? Wenn ja was?

Würde mich über Hilfe freuen, danke.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Hello,

What programs are you using?

If you extract the wav files from the snd file with UE you should be able to play those with the media player that comes with Windows.

Are you doing this and the files don't play right?

Also is the german.snd file from a mod or vanilla?
Dnuhd
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dnuhd »

I use "FlexiMusic Wave Editor" is it the wrong program? If you know a better one, could you give me a link or something like that?

extract the Wav files? How do you mean that, its just one big snd file.

not from a mod, its from the game.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Dnuhd wrote:I use "FlexiMusic Wave Editor" is it the wrong program? If you know a better one, could you give me a link or something like that?

extract the Wav files? How do you mean that, its just one big snd file.

not from a mod, its from the game.
It's not a snd file. It's lots of wav files put into one big file. No regular editor will play that file.

You need this botf editor (UE): viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22&start=0

Open the snd file with it and extract the wav files. You can then play those in your wave editor.
Dnuhd
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dnuhd »

Yeah now it work, thank you very much you was a great help :D
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Glad I could help, have fun :)
Dnuhd
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dnuhd »

Hi again.

I have now another problem with the extracted sounds. The only player, who play the files is the VLC Media Player. No windows program can read the Files. Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker can't open them. I was planing to build a little film in Windows Movie Maker. I can import the sound files but everytime i want to play them, the program shut down. Same problem with the Windows Media Player.

Do you know whats going on there and what i can do? Is it maybe a Problem with my operating system Windows Vista Home Premium? I would be glad about help again :)
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Looks like you're missing a codec. It's an old wav format (adpcm) could be it got ditched in Vista ...

Maybe those who edit these can post what programs they used, I know I had a hard time finding one that would save in the right format, but can't remember what program it was.
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

I don't know if it'll help with the sounds, but I always install the ACE Mega Codecs Pack whenever I reformat my computer. It's the ONLY Codecs pak that i've found that will make the videos in BOTF work, so it may work on the audio as well. Make sure you set it to Professional mode if you install it as that installs everything. The download is 49.2mb.

The ACE Mega Codecs pack is no longer under development though, so I don't know if it is compatible with Vista. But like I said, it's the ONLY pack that i've found will work for my computer, and i've tried a lot of them over the last few years.
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

The ACE Mega Codecs pack, arg, that one is pretty old, had it myself years ago! :lol:
http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/ is the way to go if you want an all inclusive codec pack for video and audio.
Extracted sounds work well with it, as I have just tested with Windows Media Player Classic on my vista laptop, and watching the botf videos with Media Player works too, but it didn't work in botf before seperately adding the iccvid.dll video codec to the botf folder I got from thunderchero and is now included in the new multi installer as well.
severenth
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by severenth »

Failing either of those, the CCCP seems ok

http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp

Return to “Support Archive”