Vista problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I recently found an interesting thread about vista admin accounts:

Make your Vista's admin account acts like in XP, Always in full control

updated another thread...

switching of User Account Control
Drafterman
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Drafterman »

I recently installed BOTF (no patches) on Vista. So far it's working fine but I'm running into a couple of problems:

No Sound - I go into Options and set the volume and hit "Accept" but when I go back, they are all set to 0. I installed BOTF before I installed the correct sound drivers for Vista so I am going to test uninstalling and reinstalling BOTF.

System Reset - Twice now I have been bombarding a system when it will instantly be back at full population with many orbital batteries. At first I thought it was a fluke but the second time really caught me by surprise. I had a system down from 300+ population ant 4 orbital batteries to under a hundred pop with no batteries (using 9 destroyers) and then all of a sudden, the next turn, it's back to full pop with 7 orbital batteries destroying all my ships.

Both times it was with a minor race system.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Drafterman wrote:System Reset - Twice now I have been bombarding a system when it will instantly be back at full population with many orbital batteries. At first I thought it was a fluke but the second time really caught me by surprise. I had a system down from 300+ population ant 4 orbital batteries to under a hundred pop with no batteries (using 9 destroyers) and then all of a sudden, the next turn, it's back to full pop with 7 orbital batteries destroying all my ships.

That's normal behavior. Minor races advance in jumps. On each jump they gain population (if they can), ships and buildings. Population growth is also based on previous population, not on actual population. If you check the modding section, the race advancement topic contains more in depth info.
Drafterman
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Drafterman »

DCER wrote:
Drafterman wrote:System Reset - Twice now I have been bombarding a system when it will instantly be back at full population with many orbital batteries. At first I thought it was a fluke but the second time really caught me by surprise. I had a system down from 300+ population ant 4 orbital batteries to under a hundred pop with no batteries (using 9 destroyers) and then all of a sudden, the next turn, it's back to full pop with 7 orbital batteries destroying all my ships.

That's normal behavior. Minor races advance in jumps. On each jump they gain population (if they can), ships and buildings. Population growth is also based on previous population, not on actual population. If you check the modding section, the race advancement topic contains more in depth info.
I noticed that too. Right after a jump, an additional planet was terraformed in that system. I also noticed that if I terraform a planet for them, it doesn't trigger a jump.

I also fixed my sound issue. It was turned to "off" in the conf file.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

"Data Prevention is preventing this program from starting"

System:

Intel Dual Core 1.8 GHz | 3 GB of RAM x86 - Vista 32 bit
ATI HD4670

Any solutions for this? Installed with Multi-installer and Hadez 2.2

Read thru this thread and didnt see any solutions for this problem :(

EDIT:
Crashes upon entry into game

Version Under Test: 72
File: dounzip.c, Line: 421, C:\botf\STBOF.RES
Initialize State: 0
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 0
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 0
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Tethys wrote:Any solutions for this? Installed with Multi-installer and Hadez 2.2
you installed multi then hades 2.2?

multi come with option when installing for vanilla, hades 1.1 and hades 2.2

no other files are needed.

Don't know about error log

thunderchero
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

no the multi hades 2.2 option he chose. now i am also getting the same thing with a friend who installed it on XP... no error message but here is the crashlog:

will add the crashlog later when my friend gets to it.
sax
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by sax »

Hi together,

I want to add a thing, which might be interesting. After months of being apart from playing BotF I decided to install it again but now on Vista (64bit). After looking around I find the Main Multi Installer and tried it out.

No problems during the installation but I couldn't start the game.
After trial and error with using xp-compatibilty and granting admin-rights I checked the stbof.ini, cause I thought the hades 2.2 might be the issue and I want to change the mode. However I have to notice that not the 3D-Setting is wrong but simple the path wasn't the right one which I installed the game in. The entry was c:\botf\ instead of c:\games\botf\. So you might check it out if you got an error at start.

Btw. apart from this little error, the Main Muli Installer is really great work!

sax

Edit: The Balance of Power Mod also wants to use the path c:\botf. Seems to be a wrong registry entry by the Installer.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

ok thank you for this information. i will see if this is the case...
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

path was correct and 3d=software is the mode.. :/
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

The main issue I'm having with Vista is I'll get the battle screen up, where you choose Fight, Hail or Auto and as soon as I click Fight, the game crashes to the desktop and I get the this program has stopped responding dialog up

Bah hehe
IndieC
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by IndieC »

Hi guys,

I've just reinstalled BOTF of Vista, and the game works fine except that I can't save anything, and if I exit the game, and re-enter it, it won't allow me to continue a previous campaign. Any solutions?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

try to play the game as a full admin (not the local one) (right click trek.exe then "run as...")

or

switch off vista user accounts control. But it is not advisable to do this and this will give you permanent admin rights in every program you start. So it is and/or can be a security issue which depends on your behaviour.

try the links in my posts on the top of the page in this thread if you dunno how to do it. I can't say if it'll help you as I'am a XP user. But would be nice if you could post your results here.

gl
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

My old XP laptop is looking battered, like it has spent a week at the Somme..

My wife said that she wants a new then I could have her's, but she has vista and I have not managed to get BOTF to work on it yet.

So I told her TOUGH....

If someone can fix this problem, then she may get a new one.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

sean, i never had trouble with vista running botf... which does not make it easier... i just got a new lappy (gateway), cheap thing for 500$ and it runs botf no problem, as well as the old desktop... so you may get a new lappy, and always return it if it does not work
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry

Return to “Support Archive”