Vista problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

Over here, it doesn't work like that, once you open the box, you are stuck with it, unless it has a manufacture default.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

maybe a direct x problem. You could try to find a ver 9 for vista, if there is one
jdavis44
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jdavis44 »

Hello,

I can't get BOTF to install on vista.

The autoplay comes up when I put in the disk, but then it doesn't load the setup program.

I've gone into the disk, changed the setup file's compatibility and it doesn't work on any setting.

It acts like it is about to load it but then just stops.

MY UAC is off.

Thanks for the help
war800
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by war800 »

it should work fine from the cd, not sure why it wouldn't install....but try downloading and installing the multi-installer in the download section....that should work no problem
malivos
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by malivos »

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. I'm running Vista 64-bit and whenever I start BOTF, the cursor leaves a trail and elements of the screen constantly flicker. If I start a game, again, icons and text flicker in and out, sometimes disappearing altogether. It's pretty much unplayable; what can I do? I've installed Joker's patch.
I'm having this same problem. Cursor is leaving duplicates of itself all over the screen. The background of the screen remains in place but the foreground, the buttons, map, etc blink in and out constantly and inconsistently. I'm a huge botf fan, so I tried playing it anyway, but it's impossible. I run vista 64 on a laptop, much to my dismay, I installed both the hades patches and the joker patch. I've tried running in several different compatibility modes (xp, 2k, 98/ME) with no luck. Tried running as admin with no luck. Any help would be appreciated, I'd really like to play it again.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

jdavis44 wrote:Hello,

I can't get BOTF to install on vista.

The autoplay comes up when I put in the disk, but then it doesn't load the setup program.

I've gone into the disk, changed the setup file's compatibility and it doesn't work on any setting.

It acts like it is about to load it but then just stops.

MY UAC is off.

Thanks for the help
Are u running a single core or a dual core? My friend had a problem similar to this with his Diablo 2 install. We have the exact same model laptop, only mine is a dual core and mine installed fine with no problems, his acted like it was going to load, but his CPU cap went to 100% and stuck... now I know this shouldnt affect the install of such an OLD program, but it could be that your CPU capacity is already at it's max.

His problem has yet to be solved :(

Although this could be totally different for u, I would check CPU usage (before install) in Taskmgr or your Dashboard (i disabled my dashboard and UAC settings) and see if when you try to install if caps out at 100%.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

@jdavis44,

had the same problem as I wanted to reinstall BotF from original cd/backup cd/iso again. setup.exe in taskmanager with 100% processor usage and then... nothing.

But thunderchero's multi installers solved this problem for me.

1. clean registry (look for microprose, botf and trek.exe) and delete keys
2. install main multi 1.02 from download section
3. install any multi mod you want (but just multi mods)

no further patches needed. jokers patch and hades and anything else is included within the multi installers.

@malivos,

I read sometimes that ppl are using BotF with v64 here.
So perhaps it has something to do with the graphics card your laptop has included.
If I were you, I would check my driver settings. Try to play a little with them. Disable z-buffer f.e. Deactive AA and/or AF.
Try different settings of hades. Check "3D"-value in stbof.ini and set it to SOFTWARE, DIRECT3D or 3DFX

IF nothing helps try to run BotF on a small virtual machine with xp installed on it.
zerog117
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by zerog117 »

malivos wrote:
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. I'm running Vista 64-bit and whenever I start BOTF, the cursor leaves a trail and elements of the screen constantly flicker. If I start a game, again, icons and text flicker in and out, sometimes disappearing altogether. It's pretty much unplayable; what can I do? I've installed Joker's patch.
I'm having this same problem. Cursor is leaving duplicates of itself all over the screen. The background of the screen remains in place but the foreground, the buttons, map, etc blink in and out constantly and inconsistently. I'm a huge botf fan, so I tried playing it anyway, but it's impossible. I run vista 64 on a laptop, much to my dismay, I installed both the hades patches and the joker patch. I've tried running in several different compatibility modes (xp, 2k, 98/ME) with no luck. Tried running as admin with no luck. Any help would be appreciated, I'd really like to play it again.
i have this same issue on vista 64 and have tried multiple win xp 32bit virtual machines but still i cant play at all
winxp virtual machines wont even start BOFT but i dont get an eror the program just doesnt start
in the virtual machine i have tried various patches and loads and setting for BOFT including the multi stuff all with no success

The issue with the cursor can be solved by disabling advance graphic card settings such as graphics card AI
Hernandez
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Hernandez »

hey there... i got the same problem, running botf on vista..
it's unplayable because of flickering and the curser problem already described by zerog an malivos.

i even terminated all mods and installed the original game, tried jokers patch, etc. but nothing worked properly.

also zerogs method doesn't show any results...

is there still another possibility i haven't thought of yet ?
this makes me crazy. warpcore overload in 15minutes.^^
x2yzh9
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by x2yzh9 »

"I can not get BofF to install. I hit setup and nothing...... "

I'm having this same problem.
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

x2yzh9 wrote:"I can not get BofF to install. I hit setup and nothing...... "

What are you specs, what are you using to install the game?
x2yzh9
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by x2yzh9 »

HsojVvad wrote:
x2yzh9 wrote:"I can not get BofF to install. I hit setup and nothing...... "

What are you specs, what are you using to install the game?
Nevermind, used the multi main mod thingy and it worked.
Uberalex
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Vista 64 issue?

Post by Uberalex »

IndieC wrote:Hi guys,

I've just reinstalled BOTF of Vista, and the game works fine except that I can't save anything, and if I exit the game, and re-enter it, it won't allow me to continue a previous campaign. Any solutions?
Okay, I downloaded every mod from this site and my screen is filled with multiple botf shortcuts to the various mods. I can play pretty much all of them, to a degree:

1) Most of them, but not all, have the trailing cursor issue, although it ONLY occurs in the opening page and when you select "single-player...etc." it is fine (or as fine as it gets);

2) Some of the mods have crashing problems, but only when the Battle mode is activated; and

3) none of the the games in ANY of the mods can be saved, and so unless you CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to the manager (and leave the game running in the background, and then have to leave the computer on until next time you want to pick it up again), you cannot engage in any lengthy campaigns.

My in game experience, when it is working, is fine: no speed, video or sound issues and very quick between turns.

Suggestions?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Vista problems/solutions please post them here

Post by thunderchero »

as for your save issue,

you will need to right click each trek.exe for each mod in install folder and "run as administrator" this should fix that problem.
Uberalex wrote:2) Some of the mods have crashing problems, but only when the Battle mode is activated
and yes some mods are very old when they were added to multi installer I tried to repair any error I knew of. but if you can duplicate any error, create a new post in "modding section" and I will see if I can help.
Uberalex wrote:1) Most of them, but not all, have the trailing cursor issue, although it ONLY occurs in the opening page and when you select "single-player...etc." it is fine (or as fine as it gets);
this maybe a video card driver issue or if you installed "hades option" this might also be part of the problem but doubt it.

thunderchero

Return to “Support Archive”