Windows 8 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

anjel
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: Windows 8 problems/solutions please post them here

Post by anjel »

Sisiutl wrote:Hi I'm new to this site. I'm trying to get the vanilla game to run correctly on Win8. I see posts saying MPR++ fixes the mouse lag issue, which is making my game unplayable, but I don't see where to get that mod or what I need to do to install it.

Sorry if this is repetitive, as I said I'm brand new to the site and have gone through this thread but I haven't had a chance to read many other ones.

Thanks

first of all, Welcome to the site !!!

take a look at this post : link

if you have any doubts about mpr++, that´s the place where you should go :)
Sisiutl
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Sisiutl »

Thanks, I'll try whatever to get the mouse lag to go away. Is the alpha signup the correct path for downloading MPR++? I wasnt sure if that was a new release version and there was a current version available or if the alpha was the way to go? Either way I requested a download link.
jdpimp
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jdpimp »

I had the mouse lag issue, MPR++ fixed that.

New issue and a search didn't pull it up on the forum, but I can't seem to save games in Windows 8. I don't think I'll ever be able to finish a game in one sitting :smile:

Is there a workaround for this? Am I doing something wrong? Any help appreciated....
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

jdpimp wrote:New issue and a search didn't pull it up on the forum, but I can't seem to save games in Windows 8.
Check your install path. If installed to program files folder, there win8 might forbid to save without admin rights.
By default mpr++ is set to use the first five slots for improved auto save and also sets up a folder saving each turn automaticly.
However if windows or some security defender forbids to save it does not work.
Have no other explanation atm. :roll:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

you would need to right click each trek.exe (each install) and run as administrator in compatibility tab.

this was a common problem on win 7 if user was not admin. since it installs into root of drive.

thunderchero
jdpimp
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jdpimp »

thunderchero wrote:you would need to right click each trek.exe (each install) and run as administrator in compatibility tab.

this was a common problem on win 7 if user was not admin. since it installs into root of drive.

thunderchero

Thanks Flocke and thunderchero.... I did install in the program files folder (I knew I shouldn't have changed the default path). I will try out your suggestions and see if that fixes my problem...

Really appreciate the help, you guys rock :!:
Russ
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Russ »

Has there been a fix or patch for windows 8?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

there are 3 option to get Birth of the Federation playable on windows 8

option 1

You can enlist in alpha testing of MPR++. This works great just limited to on a few mods and vanilla.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2720

option 2

this uses "wine" files to start BOTF using OpenGL instead of directdraw. This works well with intel based Processors but take a long time to load on AMD Processors (up to 8 min+)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2698

option 3

This is a hex code change at 0x001127F3 of trek.exe change 01 -> 00
then set the trek.exe to 16 bit color in compatibility tab

draw back of this the game will play in upper left corner of screen, if desktop resolution is set to 1024 x 768 (min for windows 8 ) game will use 800 x 600 of the upper left corner. If desktop resolution is set higher game appears smaller depending on resolution desktop is set to.

thunderchero
Dom901
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Dom901 »

Hi Guys, I have a problem!
I have just re-installed BotF on my new laptop, windows 8. Downloaded the patch to get it running and hey presto, working as intended, dead smooth. However when I downloaded the game from this site with a view to getting up to date with patches etc (the disk game is the original) it runs super slow. It loads fine, with intro vids and all but is hugely jerky in game, to the point of being unplayable. especially when trying to scroll across the map. I have done a defrag and put the PC on high performance but no dice. CPU usage is fine, hovering around 30 at the most and I have 6GB of ram! Any ideas anyone??

Edit: FYI, The patch I originally used to get the disk running was adding the .dll files from this thread.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Dom901,

what exactly have you installed? you talk about patches and cd install.

these are no longer used by most users here.

the multi installer is the first thing you should download and install.

viewtopic.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=9

this is a full version of the game with all patches already part of the installer, so you should uninstall anything you have already installed before running installer.

If the dll patch works for you that's great after installing multi installer just copy those dll files to your install path.

if you install any mods you will need to copy those same dll files to the new install path for each mod.

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

interesting it was smooth without multi-installer
when this can be confirmed, maybe there's just alittle tweak needed to the multi-installer?
Dirtysantchez
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Dirtysantchez »

Hi,

First up can't say how excited I am to see an active modding comunity for this game! It is one of my all time favourites and I thought it had long since been resigned to the trash heap of history.

I am having a few issues playing the game though, I have installed BOTF_1.0.2_English_German_.exe and Error_Correction_mod_3.0 (1).exe but it runs like a dog with terrible mouse lag. I find it quietly ironic that my current machine is vastly more powerful than my old Windows 95 based P200 yet seems to run in far worse!

When I run the MPR test I only get a return for [driver:0 Software] and nothing else. Is that part the problem?

Any help on getting this working will be most appreciated!

Thanks

Adrian
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

you have 3 option to get rid of the mouse lag (this info is also in first post)

option 1

You can enlist in alpha testing of MPR++. This works great just limited to on a few mods and vanilla.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2720

option 2

this uses "wine" files to start BOTF using OpenGL instead of directdraw. This works well with intel based Processors but take a long time to load on AMD Processors (up to 8 min+)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2698

option 3

This is a hex code change at 0x001127F3 of trek.exe change 01 -> 00
then set the trek.exe to 16 bit color in compatibility tab

draw back of this the game will play in upper left corner of screen, if desktop resolution is set to 1024 x 768 (min for windows 8 ) game will use 800 x 600 of the upper left corner. If desktop resolution is set higher game appears smaller depending on resolution desktop is set to.

thunderchero
Smoothgrandmama
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: Windows 8 COMPLETE FIX - Vanilla Game

Post by Smoothgrandmama »

I use these three files and set compatibility mode to windows 7 and it runs like a champ.

I also install these files in a mod subfolder and the mod runs fine as well.
CmdrReed
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Windows 8 COMPLETE FIX - Vanilla Game

Post by CmdrReed »

Smoothgrandmama wrote:I use these three files and set compatibility mode to windows 7 and it runs like a champ.

I also install these files in a mod subfolder and the mod runs fine as well.
Huzzah! My Surface Pro 2 ships in 5 days and I was looking forward to BOTF on the go. Thanks! We shall see if Win8.1 breaks anything. [Worst case, I'll buy an OEM copy of Win7 for it.] (Somewhere, Steve Ballmer just got a chill at the thought of Win7 on a Surface, :razz: ).

Return to “Support Archive”