Windows 10 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Windows 10 problems/solutions please post them here

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Zweistein000,

voodoo has always been problematic

DxWnd is much better, you just need to make adjustments if game is not installed in default location
also DxWnd all compatibility settings need to be turned off (DxWnd corrects problems), but DxWnd exe needs to be run as admin.

also available with preset full screen settings.

see this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3179

and if all else fails request link to mpr++
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=2720
Zweistein000
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zweistein000 »

I tried this and I can't launch the game with it. It crashes upon launch giving me the "trek.exe has stopped responding" message.
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Hi.
Got a new laptop with Win 10.
I tried to install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010), the intro plays well but it crashes to desktop soon after,
Cannot see any crash log in the botf folder.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tks

Edit - Changed the compatibility mode to Win 98 and it seems to work. Mouse lag but will figure it out.
greenpeace
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by greenpeace »

The WINE files solved the BOTF Windows 10 performance issues for me. No more mouse lag. Tested working with:
1. vanilla
2. vanilla with the 1024 and 1366 resolution mods
3. Error Correction mod + res mods.
No compatibility mode needed.

Takes 20 seconds to load on a i5 4670k overclocked to 4GHz. No trickery needed, just double-click trek.exe and wait.

I find the 1024x768 patch to work best on my 1920x1200 monitor. The widescreen patch leaves huge bars at the top and bottom -- far more than the difference between 16:9 and 16:10. 1024x768 goes full screen.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Zweistein000 wrote:But otherwise I experience freezes, where the game locks up, and the sound keep repeating and the only way out of this is to restart the entire computer. Any ideas on how to solve this?
That's unrelated to Win10 and can happen on pretty much any windows version I'm afraid. I had it happen with the music, the SFX when a button was clicked (may be UI related) and speech as well.
The only way to get rid of these kind of crashes is to deactivate the sound of the game completely. I don't like this "solution" at all since the sound adds so much to the game but at the end it's the stability what counts. So, I usually throw a couple of Star Trek Soundtracks into my playlist while playing the game in a bit less frustrating way. (it still crashes anyway every now and then)

However, what's often forgotten are the sound drivers. Esp. when it comes to onboard realtek. I've read quite a couple of dxdiags of people who experienced crashs in other games and these drivers tend to be forgotten very often. Win 10 is still quite fresh and I can't tell how the hardware support is there. If you don't have a super popular board of a manufacturer who cares for updates, it may turn out to be a bit of a problem.

Every new windows version offers some more challenges for good ol' BotF. The most stable experience I had so far with this game was under WinXP SP2. So, a VM might be wort a shot.

Don't know if mpr++ changes anything sound related. But since quite some percentage of crashes are sound related it might be something to put on the to-do-list ^^
osa1011
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by osa1011 »

I can't get the game to start. I get the error message:
trek.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application.

I"m trying to run it through dxwnd
osa1011
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by osa1011 »

I figured out the solution. I needed to go into the control panel of Windows. From there I went to "Turn Windows features on or off." Once that loaded I went to "Legacy Components" and enabled "DirectPlay." I hope this helps anyone that is having this error at start up.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

osa1011 wrote:and enabled "DirectPlay
in my experiences on fresh install of windows 8/10, first load of the game windows info box will pops up stating game requires directplay, would you like to install?
Weedwacker
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Weedwacker »

Hello all, I have a new pc with windows 10, I haven't started to run it yet. Will let you know what happens, apprantly I need a few files? Will go through thread and let you know what happens.
JackDaniels
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

non - stop crashing!

Post by JackDaniels »

Please help!
I'm playing the best game I've ever played since the game came out and every time I get to turn 165 the game crashes!
I'm in the habit of saving each turn every time I play so there is a back log of previous turns where I can alter the course of what I do - sometimes I get a little past 165 and sometimes not but there is no definable event which crashes the game. I have UE which tells me the file integrity is fine.

Please tell me there's a simple way to check and fix it - this is the most fun I've ever had with this game and cannot believe Q is doing this to me!!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

JackDaniels wrote:Please help!
more info needed.
1. vanilla or mod?
2. has any changes been made to game or save?
3. any crash log
4. details of crash, when does it crash? during turn process, clicking button, combat, ect
5. since you posted in windows 10 thread, I will presume you are playing on windows 10. what are you using to prevent mouse lag? (Dxwnd, mpr++, voodoo, wine)
6. any majors powers eliminated or about to be eliminated?

it would also be helpful if you attach you saved game.
sparkyfrodo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by sparkyfrodo »

Hi All,

Great to see this game is still alive. Played it a lot in University and trying to get the gang back together for a multiplayer extravaganza!

Anyway, I've installed Vanilla game under Windows 10, and the wine files to deal with the mouselag issues. Everything seems to be working pretty fantastically EXCEPT I am getting an intermittent combat crash to desktop ('trek.exe has stopped working').

It doesn't happen as soon as I load into combat, it's part way through the animations happening once all actions have been committed. I have managed to get through a full combat a couple of times. The last crash was three Trill warships (I am Federation, they are members) evading 6 Ferenghi fast attack - it crashed after they fired phasers/torpedoes. The earlier one (as I recall) was a Light Cruiser and a Troop Transport retreating from a large Ferenghi task force - it happened before they went to warp. I managed to recreate this one and it crashed every time I reloaded and tried again (I got around it by having the Light Cruiser just not go there). Sorry - don't have a save file for this one anymore.

I'm guessing this intermittence is hard to pin down, but if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

from your post, you are using cd install? if so I suggest using multi installer.
sparkyfrodo
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by sparkyfrodo »

Sorry, I may have misunderstood, I thought 'vanilla' meant the installer downloaded from the main armada fleet site. I got the latest multi installer and used that, so not the CD.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

just wanted to make sure what was used.

did you change 3D settings during install? (software/direct3d) software is suggested.

also windows 10 may be missing some directX files. also suggest installing DirectX 9 redist

The wine files I have found to be unstable myself but works well for some. I suggest dxwnd or mpr++ for mouse lag

but this could also be video setting since it is happening when phasers fire?

Return to “Support Archive”