no in-game sound

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
rpeterson2205
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

no in-game sound

Post by rpeterson2205 »

Windows Version: windows 7
Video card/chip info: Intel HD graphics 530
Are you useing DxWnd?: Not using DxWnd
Was Birth of the Federation running on this system prior to this install No
List any crash logs or messages you might have seen
none

What have you already tried to solve the problem?
updated the graphics driver.

Detailed description of your issue
I downloaded all in one installer. Incredible work. Much more streamlined than a few years ago.

I only installed the vanilla bof and tools. When starting the game I noticed my cursor became invisible when stationary, so I went on here to check for a fix. An old post recommended updating my graphics driver. Its an Intel HD graphics 530. I do not have an aftermarket video card. I updated the graphics driver. This fixed the cursor problem just fine. Graphics are great.

However...

Now I have no in-game sound, none whatsoever. After I upgraded my video driver botf lost all audio. I searched on here for a fix. Curious thing is that the SOUNDON key keeps getting reset to OFF when the game runs, so maybe this is part of the problem? I know this happens when the game is started because I save the cfg file with SOUNDON=ON, then start the game using trek.exe. There is no sound, all the sound sliders are turned to zero. I adjust the sliders to try and get sound but there isn't any. When I quit the game I open the cfg file and SOUNDON has been changed back to OFF. Super weird.

Ran with DxWnd, windowed. Sound came back! Hooray! Ran through DxWnd again full screen. All sound is gone. Went back to running through DxWnd windowed... no sound now. The key SOUNDON keeps getting reset to off every time I start the game using trek.exe or DxWnd.

What's funny is I tried changing the botf.cfg file to read only after saving SOUNDON=ON and he game crashed. Not sure if that is related.

I am using the latest version of all in one, running windows 7, Intel HD graphics 530 driver, Intel display audio on a samsung TV through HDMI.

I rolled back my video and audio drivers and this did not fix the sound problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is like one of the few video games I bother to play. Esp with thunderchero and everyone making the modding so easy.

I have sound on my other computer programs.

Any ideas? THX!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: no in-game sound

Post by thunderchero »

Hi rpeterson2205,

sorry to here you are having issues.

The All in One has an updated mss32.dll, your sound card may not support newer version

So you can try the older mss32.dll, un-zip and replace current file to each install folder.

note; make backup of current mss32.dll first.
Mss32.zip
(66.73 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
If that does not help you can run the "DirectX 9 redist" if you have not done this already. (link in first post)

Note; the game must be able to write to stbof.ini, so setting to "read only" crash would be expected.

hope this helps

thunderchero
rpeterson2205
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by rpeterson2205 »

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I installed the directx 9 and mss32 supplied by the links. For some reason, though, whenever I run any modded version or vanilla using DxWnd windowed, I get sound. Running DxWnd fullscreen or using the shortcut turns SOUNDON to OFF. So, I'll just have to lower my screenres and play with the windowed version for now until we can think of something else. You did supply a 1366 res version which I can play with sound windowed. Fascinating.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

first off this very unusual problem, I have never heard of the game changing sound setting to off.
rpeterson2205 wrote:on a samsung TV through HDMI

this maybe causing issue

1. try "modifying" DxWnd setting in video tab "screen resolution" to HDMI modes. (my system game crashes on load)
2. if possible setup separate audio cable to monitor/tv or separate speakers.
3. depending on install options you selected when installing tools, you might try running game directly from install folder. double click on trek.exe. this ensure you will be running fullscreen without DxWnd.

question, what was the last version that worked on this configuration (date downloaded)? and did you use DxWnd on that configuration?
jlberner13
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by jlberner13 »

I have the same issue now. Maybe not so oddly enough, it started when I tried to play UD5 off my laptop on my Samsung tv via HDMI cable. Even with things like movies sometimes it likes to struggle to pick the right audio device to use but, either way, I get it going. But now I get no sound when launching BOTF - same thing with sliders all off and if I enable them nothing happens. I launched other mods and they work fine. In my case, I just found the config file mentioned above and modified it to SOUND=ON and next launch it came up ok with sound. So monitoring, but FYI in case other people run into issues.

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”