Exe for UDML Vanished and Reinstall Error

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
FoxURA
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Exe for UDML Vanished and Reinstall Error

Post by FoxURA »

Windows Version: WIndows 10
Video card/chip info: NVidia
Are you useing DxWnd?: DxWnd Fullscreen
Was Birth of the Federation running on this system prior to this install Yes
List any crash logs or messages you might have seen
Install path here

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
MoveFile failed; code 5
Access is denied.

What have you already tried to solve the problem?
Tried using iOBit uninstaller, putting avast in silent mode, running uninstall for UDML directly, erasing any trace of the previous folder, running the installer with admin permissions, and yeah... I'm stumped.

After a previous issue with the tools folder I ended up having to just install everything under a new folder so it would stop telling me that it can't rename something that didn't exist.

Checked through other help topics and googled possible solutions and still don't know where to start.

Detailed description of your issue
I played the game just fine last night and then when I finally could boot up my computer, the shortcut for UDML was dead and I couldn't find the exe file in the appropriate folder.

What could cause this to keep happening?
FoxURA
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: Exe for UDML Vanished and Reinstall Error

Post by FoxURA »

I just tried hitting Ignore in the "Retry, Abort, or Ignore" prompt and it made it through by sheer persistence... I guess? I would still like help to figure out what happened because I lost all my save data in all this mess.

EDIT
========================================================================

I hoped that bright ray of hope of the installer finishing would mean I could play but I'm back to square one with the exe file missing for UDML and the window now claims that dxwnd.exe has been moved or changed and no mods work when just before this everything but UDML worked and it was the only thing I was attempting to actually reinstall.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

FoxURA wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 pm After a previous issue with the tools folder I ended up having to just install everything under a new folder so it would stop telling me that it can't rename something that didn't exist.
what issue with tools folder?

depending on what file name you are re-naming this could prevent game from running due to improper paths.
FoxURA wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 am I just tried hitting Ignore in the "Retry, Abort, or Ignore" prompt
if you are seeing "Retry, Abort, or Ignore" prompt during install you may have a corrupt download.
FoxURA wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 pm Tried using iOBit uninstaller
These type of programs will usually only un-install files and leave registries, This will cause issues on re-install. and I do not suggest using them.
FoxURA wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 pm I played the game just fine last night and then when I finally could boot up my computer, the shortcut for UDML was dead and I couldn't find the exe file in the appropriate folder.

What could cause this to keep happening?
all mods use the "tools" folder as path for shortcuts if you re-named a file there this will prevent game from running.

I suggest uninstalling everything using the game un-installer, re-downloading installer and/or check md5 hash. then don't change any file names.
FoxURA wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 pm putting avast in silent mode,
Avast should not be giving any issues (last I checked), If you are having issues with avast please report them to me so I can work with avast to get them resolved.

thunderchero
FoxURA
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by FoxURA »

I had the identical issue with the tools folder that I had with UDML, essentially the same error message I typed out in the first post.

Nothing at all was renamed when I started getting the error which is what confused me so much. Originally I had didn't have the tools installed and the game worked fine save for the cursor lag issues. I checked the forums, figured out that i needed the tools fix and did a fresh install. I also tried doing the built in uninstaller before I resorted to iObit.

What has me really stumped is how I'm getting messages that I'm not authorized to make changes even though I have full admin privileges on my computer.

=Update=

And I just found the cause. Out of curiosity I opened up Avast and looked in the VirusChest. Lo and behold, it was identifying both EXEs as viruses AND even something to do with the Ubisoft UPlay launcher. After restoring the files the tools folder and UDML folders appeared again in their original install locations, though with only the restored items in them. I was also able to reinstall everything in that base folder and play again without issue so far.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Note; tools must be installed first for DxWnd to work properly. so you will need to uninstall any version installed before tools were installed.

as for avast, I will start testing again and submitting files as false positives. I wish Avast would test files more, but they would rather just block any unknown file.

thunderchero
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

update;

after 3 hours formatting and reinstalling windows and avast on test system. I installed/played BOTF and all mods without any issues.

So I have no idea why avast quarantined files your system.

thunderchero
FoxURA
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by FoxURA »

You must be lucky because it just gutted another critical component of the game and put it in the virus chest. I'm sending a report to avast.

It seems like it may be happening during boot time scans or something because each time the game worked just fine until after my computer was shut down and restarted the next day.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

FoxURA wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm You must be lucky because it just gutted another critical component of the game and put it in the virus chest. I'm sending a report to avast.

It seems like it may be happening during boot time scans or something because each time the game worked just fine until after my computer was shut down and restarted the next day.
just rebooted and ran full scan nothing in vault, but just a note since I just downloaded avast the other day I am on newest version and latest definitions?
FoxURA
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by FoxURA »

It ran a version update not too long ago on my machine and the virus definitions should be up to date as well. Mind sharing what anti-virus you use? I'm beginning to wonder if it might be worth a switch if you know another good free one out there some where.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

The one I use is not free, but reasonably priced. Webroot SecureAnywhere

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”