All In One Installer 1.0.1 doesn't finish Installation anymore

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

All In One Installer 1.0.1 doesn't finish Installation anymore

Post by captaindusk »

Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro x64
Video card/chip info: MSI Radeon R9 390
Are you useing DxWnd?: DxWnd Fullscreen
Was Birth of the Federation running on this system prior to this install Yes
List any crash logs or messages you might have seen
none since the installation doesn't finish

What have you already tried to solve the problem?
manually used regedit as admin to delete remaining registry entries (there were none)
used the registry cleaner tc once created
used Ccleaner to remove potential registry entries

Detailed description of your issue
A few days ago I wanted to play a few rounds again. So I fired up the AiO Installer. I wanted to install everything with 1366 patch. Tools first of course. Previous installs with same settings always worked absolutely flawlessly. Well...not this time. Installer hangs at "compressing files to stbof.res. This may take 1-3 minutes per mod selected." And doesn't go further. I waited over 12 hours multiple times for it to complete but no chance. What the heck could cause this? I would be grateful for any help and advice.

Greetz

cd
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: All In One Installer 1.0.1 doesn't finish Installation anymore

Post by thunderchero »

My question is where did it get stuck? if you installed desktop icons and they are present, those installs completed. if not than same should be true about start menu icons or uninstall in "add/remove programs"

sounds like an command line process is being blocked. (by antivirus/security program)

here is a couple tools that maybe blocked
7za.exe (this adds files to stbof.res)
arc_tool.exe (this adds files to alt.res)
snd_tool.exe (this adds files to english.snd or german.snd)

if you still can let me know what installed or where it got stuck.
you can try to install one component at a time. (tools first, vanilla, ecm, ect)
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Well the only desktop icons I get are "DxWnd Fullscreen" and "Birth of the Federation". Start menu entries seem to appear for everything but most of them are displayed as a white sheet instead of the usual mod symbol. And when I click on them windows wants to search for the file the shortcut points to but states that is is not present.

I only use Windows Defender and no other dedicated antivirus or anti malware program anymore. I didn't found any blocked entrys related to BotF and what you stated. Another very odd thing: I just tried to start Vanilla with Birth of the Federation icon and got such a hard crash that i had to reset my rig. I heard sound playing as normal but didn't get any image and even couldn't tab out or open taskmanager. The sound kept playing as normal but I couldn't do anything. After about a minute my numlock light on the keyboard went out. It was like I had plugged out my keyboard. Although the keyboard lighting still worked. So I had to press the reset button. No other game ever has caused this. And other games seem to work without a problem. I'm starting to get worried here.

I'll try installing one mod at at a time now.

edit: Checked C:\BotF (my install directory) All Folders appear there but there is no uninstall file in the folders. :?: :?: :?:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

sorry to hear at hard boot issue,
captaindusk wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:00 pm edit: Checked C:\BotF (my install directory) All Folders appear there but there is no uninstall file in the folders. :?: :?: :?:
at the point you are getting stuck this would be normal. folders are created first with base install files before any modification are made to stbof.res, alt.res and english/german.snd or uninstaller is created.

let me know how installing one at a time goes,
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hm, just downloaded the installer, installed the game and it works fine for me. Even the graphical glitches are gone. (1366 DXWnd)

Captaindusk, I'd run chkdsk/scandisk. Perhaps it's some NTFS/FAT problem. Or you may have gotten a corrupted download of the installer.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Well I've made some progress but unfortunately I'm still not able to play.

I checked all drives with chkdsk and it reported no NTFS errors or bad sectors. Redownloaded the AiO installer and tried installing again. DxWnd was the only thing that got installed before the installer hung again. I then turned off my network adapters and disabled all components of Windows Defender. I tried installing the first three mods one after another which worked. I then installed the rest of the mods by checking all the mods in the installer. And the installation went through without any problems. So far so good.

But unfortunately every time I try to start a mod (in fullscreen) my screen goes black and nothing more happens. Not even sound plays. Sometimes i can tab out, sometimes i have to reset since ctrl-alt-del has no effect.

Windowed mods seem to start but i can't expand the window. If I click on the maximize window button in the upper right corner of the game window the window just stays at it's current size. I tested a bunch of other games and all of them worked without any problems.

I'll install the latest graphics driver and try again. I use a HDMI cable since I moved to my new appartment in september. Before I used DVI. But I guess it doesn't matter, does it? It is the only hardware thing coming to my mind which changed since I last ran BotF.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

captaindusk wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:46 pm I then turned off my network adapters and disabled all components of Windows Defender. I tried installing the first three mods one after another which worked.
so windows defender is blocking installer? if so it should have some log somewhere. it would be helpful to know what file for me to submit.

was 1366 working on this system? the hdmi cable might not support 1366 x 768?

you might try running trek.exe directly (from install path) if it is a dxwnd issue you would have mouse lag but game should still run.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Qapla'!!! :up: Yes it used to run in 1366 before and so it does again now. Either the problems were caused by the older graphics driver or it really was caused by the HDMI cable. :shock: I updated to the latest graphics driver and switched back to the DVI cable and boom. Everything seems to be running fine now as it used to. I checked the Event Viewer for any Windows Defender related log entries but didn't find anything BotF related. Anything in particular I should be looking for? Maybe I'm going to uninstall everything properly again tomorrow and try the install again with Windows Defender activated. Thanks very much for your help.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

strange a hdmi cable would cause this issue, but doubt old video driver was causing it.
captaindusk wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:21 pm Anything in particular I should be looking for? Maybe I'm going to uninstall everything properly again tomorrow and try the install again with Windows Defender activated. Thanks very much for your help.
these are command line functions running when finalizing install
each component selected has an exe, example;
botf_tools.exe, vanilla.exe, bop.exe, ecm.exe and so on.....
7za.exe (this adds files to stbof.res)
arc_tool.exe (this adds files to alt.res)
snd_tool.exe (this adds files to english.snd or german.snd)
mod.bat (copies files and adds files to stbof.res, alt.res, english.snd and german.snd as needed using the tools above)
play.bat (sets directplay "on")

also it might be a good idea to right click installer and run installer as admin.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

That's odd@HDMI cable. But then again I never liked HDMI and rarely use it. DisplayPort all the way :up:

@drivers: I'm annoyed with the many driver updates @AMD. One killed some codecs and messed anything up - had to reinstall no matter what. I'm stuck with the latest WHQL version (17.11.1). I'm just going to use WHQL versions from now on. It's amazing that they put so much work into the drivers nowadays. But I'm le tired of constant updating ^^

Anyway, glad you got it working again.

Big thumbs up for this installer. It's fast, it's sleek, it works without any problems. Great work thunderchero! :up:
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Isn't the latest wqhl driver for our baby (The MSI R9 390 :wink: ) 17.7.2 from July 27th?

At least that was the one I was using before since I also hate the fact that AMD cranks out non-wqhl drivers like the dominion cranks out ships. I mean it's good that they do so and support their products but it kinda sucks to having to install the drivers so often. I once had the issue that after a non-wqhl driver install my desktop went black after 10 seconds and finito. nothing ever was visible again. Until I switched back to the wqhl driver via safe mode and DDU.

Or am I blinder than I think I am and downloaded the wrong one which may have caused my issues? But since every other game besides BotF has been working flawlessly i quite doubt that. Well who knows...yeah I am not a fan of HDMI cables either but I couldn't find the other one after moving so i used what i instantly could find without having to dig crates like Madlib does before he releases new music :wink: My great 139€ BenQ 24" monitor (G2420HD) doesn't even have a displayport-IN :oops: I bought it spontaneously back in 2011 before I assembled the 1090T. Can't complain for the price though. And back then money was a way bigger issue for me than it is today. So bare with me folks. :mrgreen:

Yay Multi-Installer all the Way :mrgreen:
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

So I properly uninstalled everything and tried installing again with activated Windows Defender. No luck.

"The problem with Windows Defender Device Guard and Application Control preventing some applications from running, even in the Pure Monitoring Enforcement mode, has been resolved."

This is an excerpt of the latest cumulative updatenotes for Windows 10 December 12th 2017 – KB4054517 (BS-Build 16299.125)
Applies to: Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1709

I would bet that this is the origin of my problem. I'll try installing everything again with activated Windows Defender as soon as the update is installed.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

captaindusk wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm So I properly uninstalled everything and tried installing again with activated Windows Defender. No luck.
I wish I could get this one figured out, but it looks to be system related. I just did a fresh install of windows 10 version 1709 on my test system, and was able to install 9 mods at once without any install issues. I did select "yes" to allow app in standard "user account control" message "see image"
unknown.jpg
unknown.jpg (82.83 KiB) Viewed 10877 times
also I had no issues with game play
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Well it definately is a Windows Defender Problem. I switched to Avira Antivirus Pro yesterday since I got a free code which lasts 6 months. This deactivated the Windows Defender. I uninstalled everything BotF related and reinstalled and installation went through without any problems. I suspect the new Windows Defender feature that is called "Überwachter Ordnerzugriff" in german blocks the command line functions at the end of the AiO Installation for me. Although I added the AiO Installer to it's exceptions. Because it also caused trouble regarding my FIFA 18 installation. With the feature activated, I wasn't able to load my saves anymore. The game didn't seem to recognize them. As soon as I added the fifa18.exe to the exceptions I could load them again. Unfortunately it has no positive effect regarding the installation blocking issues to add the AiO Installer to the exceptions.

I guess there is no way to add the command line functions that are executed when the AiO Installer finishes the installation to the "Überwachter Ordnerzugriff" exceptions prior to the installation since they only get activated when the installer already runs....? I wish I knew what the heck causes the blocking since I didn't change a single Windows Defender setting by myself. I only installed the Fall Creator's Update. But there must be some setting that is messed up in my Windows Defender settings since it worked on your fresh install. I wish I knew what it is exactly.

BTW, The AiO installer was still/again flagged as a false positive by Avira when I performed a full system scan. Although I am quite sure that you already have submitted the false positive to Avira before.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

questions, about your system.
when was windows installed?
has any other antivirus been installed and removed?

I tested Avira antivirus and had no issues during install, playing or full system scan. :???:

I am starting to think an old antivirus program may have some quarantined file (false positive) carrying forward and effecting windows defender and any other antivirus software you install?

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”