Refuses to Launch or Give Error

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
cbosdell
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Refuses to Launch or Give Error

Post by cbosdell »

Windows Version: Windows 10 x64
Video card/chip info: AMD Radeon R9 270X
Are you useing DxWnd?: DxWnd Windowed
Was Birth of the Federation running on this system prior to this install Yes
List any crash logs or messages you might have seen
None visible

What have you already tried to solve the problem?
Uninstalled everything related to BOTF, ran CCleaner, rebooted, installed again - also made sure I was trying to run as administrator

Detailed description of your issue
Windows Version: Windows 10 x64
Video card/chip info: AMD Radeon R9 270X
Are you useing DxWnd?: DxWnd Windowed
Was Birth of the Federation running on this system prior to this install Yes
List any crash logs or messages you might have seen
None visible

What have you already tried to solve the problem?
Uninstalled everything related to BOTF, ran CCleaner, rebooted, installed again - also made sure I was trying to run as administrator

Detailed description of your issue
Hello, I made the mistake of deciding to uninstall my working version of BOTF in an attempt to install the latest version 1.0.1 of the All in One installer to make sure I was using the latest version of everything. After doing so whenever I try to open any of the mods nothing happens. I have updated the paths in DxWND so they are correct. I've tried running as admin but still nothing happens - no app opens, no message or popup - nothing. I'm at a loss and would appreciate any suggestions.

Edit: I did some more troubleshooting and it appears the installer did not update the correct paths for the game (I have a different partition for games) and after fixing the ini file it starts to launch but I now get the following error despite there being a disk.id file in the folder:

ST:BOF Sun Oct 14 12:20:50 2018

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\main\main.c, Line: 1145, No disk.id file on CD

Initialize State: 0
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 0
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 0
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Refuses to Launch or Give Error

Post by thunderchero »

Hi cbosdell,

I agree strange error since as you stated disk.id is present. So this sounds like an install path issue.

But first I need to ask did you install DxWnd from "Tools" of All in one installer?

A few things you can also check,
1. install/CD paths in stbof.ini
2. Target and start in paths for desktop shortcuts and or start menu shortcuts.
cbosdell wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 am installer did not update the correct paths for the game
what should have correct path been and what did you change? and where did you change path (shortcut or stbof.ini or DxWnd path)

also please provide install path you are using so I can try to duplicate issue.
cbosdell
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Refuses to Launch or Give Error

Post by cbosdell »

Thanks for the reply. It was just in D:\BOTF\. I had a thought this evening to install it on my laptop and it worked without issue so I copied that install directory over to my desktop and changed the ini file with the D:\BOTF\ path and now it's working great so far. Not sure what the issue with installing on the desktop was but I seem to have bypassed the problem. :)

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”