Changing starting colony amount?

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Changing starting colony amount?

Post by thunderchero »

interesting method of connection, but I have never heard of any one attempting connection this way without router/internet.

properly configured using internet requires many ports, static ip and firewall rules.

Multi-Player games on Gameranger with DxWnd
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3548#p47689

Multi-Player games on same router
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3746#p49474

also the structure bonus type "Credits" is used by the sub-routine for trade goods. so that is why a set value does not work.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

well since my router is in the cellar, and not all pcs have a wireless connection, i woun´t be able to test it.

maybe in the future i will buy router just for birth, use all the settings, gameranger and make it work. But for this year, i neither have the time or resources left.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

before i will find the motivation to try your suggestion with the router settings... :???:

I´d like to create the perfect mod for me in singeplayer and eventually for multiplayer with my friends (if possible). :smile:

e.g. I will change ships in a way, that ensures that technologicly more advanced ships are most cost/combatPower effective then age 1 ships.

Other criteria for me are:
a) not too much start colonies (up to 3)
b) cool ships
c) non-upgradable production/food/energy/intel/research buildings for faster gameplay.

I guess its not possible to achieve a) in an mod that has more colonies.

Questions:
1. is it possible to achieve b) by copying files (ship models) from one mod to another while keeping the stability? (really like e.g. the peregrine fighter squadron to add to UM5 or FDA...to replace another ship)
:?:

2. is it possible to achieve c) in an mod that originaly had buildings in it that are upgradable (1-9) and keep stability?
:?:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Firefly wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:45 pm I´d like to create the perfect mod for me in singeplayer and eventually for multiplayer with my friends (if possible). :smile:
If I understand from reading your criteria if you take your time and test your changes you should be able to get what you want.

1) changing UDM3 to have less starting systems is not to hard using bof patcher remove "Custom starting systems for each empire (meprvnum.bin fix)" in the UDM patch folder. then add an original meprvnum.bin from vanilla.

2) to swap/add ships read this tutorial
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf ... s-using-ue

3) for no upgrades for main structures, this can be done. there are patches for code changes and editing structures just takes a long time 3-4 hours if not longer.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

thunderchero wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:09 am
Firefly wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:45 pm I´d like to create the perfect mod for me in singeplayer and eventually for multiplayer with my friends (if possible). :smile:
If I understand from reading your criteria if you take your time and test your changes you should be able to get what you want.

1) changing UDM3 to have less starting systems is not to hard using bof patcher remove "Custom starting systems for each empire (meprvnum.bin fix)" in the UDM patch folder. then add an original meprvnum.bin from vanilla.

2) to swap/add ships read this tutorial
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf ... s-using-ue

3) for no upgrades for main structures, this can be done. there are patches for code changes and editing structures just takes a long time 3-4 hours if not longer.
thanks for the information.

Regarding 3) i do not really understand this, maybe because i am not a native speaker...

Do i need to install tools and use the other editor Q...Something and apply and and/or change stats to fit the values in mods without upgrades?
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

I read UM5 has CTD due to map changes, but i guess only on galaxy generation, not later? Never had that CTD.

The UM5 has 1024. One screen has 1080p. Another less then 1024. Does the screen matter?

You wrote:
Notes about GUI used
800 x 600 vs 1024 x 768 will work, but not suggested
1366 x 768 will only work vs 1366 x 768
1920 x 1080 will only work vs 1920 x 1080

So thats only about installed GUI? It does nto matter which resolution different pcs use? Or does it?

@Router: Do i just need a router with port forwarding, or does it actully need to be connected to the internet?
Any specification i need to be aware of when buying one on ebay?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Firefly wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:30 pm I read UM5 has CTD due to map changes, but i guess only on galaxy generation, not later? Never had that CTD.

The UM5 has 1024. One screen has 1080p. Another less then 1024. Does the screen matter?
Ultimate mod 5 is a large map version (no normal version available)
normal 4:3 aspect (vanilla)
13 x 10 small
16 x 12 med
25 x 18 large

UM5 4:3 aspect (1024)
30 x 22 small
35 x 26 med
40 x 30 large

this is the way the creator designed it.

as for your question if system is less than 1024 UM5 should not load.
Firefly wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:30 pm You wrote:
Notes about GUI used
800 x 600 vs 1024 x 768 will work, but not suggested
1366 x 768 will only work vs 1366 x 768
1920 x 1080 will only work vs 1920 x 1080

So thats only about installed GUI? It does nto matter which resolution different pcs use? Or does it?
yes that is referring to installed GUI.
Firefly wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:05 am Regarding 3) i do not really understand this, maybe because i am not a native speaker...

Do i need to install tools and use the other editor Q...Something and apply and and/or change stats to fit the values in mods without upgrades?
yes all these change would need to be done with several tools QD's patcher (aka bof patcher) and ultimate editor would be the main tools.

but as for 3) it is a very long process to complete all the changes needed. and did not expect you to understand since I did not explain it.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

ok, so i guess i will stick to UM5, since it already has the no-upgradable main buildings.

you said when you have some time you will create a new installer with ECM 4.1, would that also include adding the new patch to UM5?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Firefly wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:04 pm ok, so i guess i will stick to UM5, since it already has the no-upgradable main buildings.

you said when you have some time you will create a new installer with ECM 4.1, would that also include adding the new patch to UM5?
also changing galaxy map is easier to do with UE. Justs do a side by side edit (2 instances of UE open at same time) and reset galaxy to vanilla values. you might need to run a tool (res-patcher) to reset other values for gui if map does not display.

as for update to UM5, no code changes have been approved by creator (not my mod and Dafedz is mia) but all mods will get widescreen galaxy edited.

also new All in One installer will be a couple months or more before it will be released.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

got an old fritz box 7170 router from a friend...

the field internet is there, but not port forewarding.

THe manuel says its nessecary for the router to get a public ipv4 address for port forwarding to be possible... but i have no internet in this flour, except for a (un)reliable wireless connection. however one of my laptop does not has wireless connection and the antenna i attached resulted in the laptop not havving enought power for every component to function... hm.

guess i can use the router to have a setting that it gets internet from this pc via LAN... but then, does that qualify that the router gets a "public ipv4?" i guess not. kind of getting to my limit of pc skills. Maybe i can get 2 wireless connections running and test at least a 2 player game...

if you have any other insides, feel fire to fire away ;)
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

I forwared the TCP ranges to 2 pcs.

But when i try to forward UDP ranges to both PC a and PC b, it does nto allow me to forward the port to b because its already forwarded to A... i guessed the port forwarding needed to be for all pcs on the network?

There is an alternate option to use dynamic port forwarding... but there there is no pc ip to asssign it to...

Edit: it seems to be dynamic port forwarding is the way to go...

there a "triggering" port is requried...

so for:
47624 TCP and UDP
2300 - 2400 TCP and UDP

What triggering port do i need for 2300-2400 TCP and UDP? I guess not everything like 2300 2301, 2302 etc. But what then?
And which of the 2 Protocols shell the triggering port have? both?

Edit: Also dynDNS requries a provider like: DynDNS.com with account and passwort, so do i need to register there as well? :?:

Al pcs have the router IP as their gateways...

I hope its possible to use Birth on Multiple PCS on one Router. Not Every Birth on a seperate router with an seperate internet...
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

as I said before, you are the first one to attempt connection this way (without internet)

with all PC's on same router, the IP and port should not matter, but that is when the router is connected to the internet.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

okay i now have 2 pcs on wirelss router + internet.

will test with DHCP without static ip and port forwarding..
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

tested it.

2 Win10 PCs on same router.

Reproducable error: once a cloaked ship gets a free turn against another players station...
and that player has another combat (not clickt into it yet). then the game crashes.

very frustrating.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

is this on ultimate mod 5 only or have you tested any other mods

just a thought have you tried No Building upgrade mod?

it is basically vanilla with the no upgrade of main structures you want and upgraded ship textures and all the patches.

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”