Changing starting colony amount?

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Changing starting colony amount?

Post by Firefly »

I only changed stats in stbof.res. I saved it, the UE did not asked me about trek.exe. I only loaded stbof.res afterall, do i need to change trek.exe anyway, even if i only want to make some stat changes in .res?

I changed starfleet academy from giving crew experience to giving 2000 credits. No more ship training possible - as intended. but the credits are not added to my credits. even thought the mouse-over says: +2000 credits +1 moral. i turned energy on and off, waited a turn, still no effect.

any idea what the problem/solution is?

Edit: When scraping Starfleet Academy it cannot be build again. So changing from ship experience to credits might be the problem. but there is no generic building that gives credits...

Edit: Changing total credits % is possible.
Don´t know how to add credits. e.g. credits and 2000 does not work to give 2000 extra credits... Do i read it wrong?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

not sure why credits is not working, but did test and can confirm it is not adding credits

I would use the trade center to increase credits.

this way credit increase would be fair to all races. currently it is set to 10%

50% might get results you are looking for.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

I choose 1000%. But for homeworld only. :cool:

Guess i should re-install the trek.exe, since i do not want to change something there and want full stability by just changing. .res stats.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

unfortunatly there is one more big challenge to master... :roll:

UM5 UE modification works fine both in single and multiplayer, save game/load etc.: only changed botf.res.

But when a humans battles a human, it crashes 3 out of 5.

mdr565.dll error. client crashes. server is w7 home 32 bit sp2. client is w7 prof 64 bit. with sp1. all are geforce cards.

the 2 times it did not crash there was no cloaked ship (free turn) involved. when a cloaked ship was involved (on the servicer side) the client crashed. :shock:

intend on installing sp2 to client. any other ideas? :smile:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

did other system get the DirectX redist installed?

how are you connecting multi-player game? (gameranger or direct IP)
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

Yes both pcs had direcx installed.

I use tcp-ip. windows firewall blocks it so i switch out and allow it and can connect.

currently still in the process of installing sp2 and reinstall birth mods.

guess vanilla birth does not need to be installed?

i also install tools with dxwnd. is that usefull or shell i uninstall those tools again?

thanks for being with me in that process.

edit:
i used version 1.0.1 from 2017. or is there a newer version?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Firefly wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:48 pm guess vanilla birth does not need to be installed?
you might want to install just in case something looks for default path. I have always had it installed so never tested without.
Firefly wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:48 pm i also install tools with dxwnd. is that usefull or shell i uninstall those tools again?
if all players are on windows 7 Dxwnd is not required, just if 1 player uses it all should use it.
Firefly wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:48 pm i used version 1.0.1 from 2017. or is there a newer version?
that is current version
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

ok. will add birth vanilla.
guess the links on desktop are with dxwnd
and using the trek.exe would be without dxwnd? so one with and one without might be the problem? guess i can uninstall tools.
do i need to add server ip? because i only gave the game a name...
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

if "tools" was installed prior to mods yes the desktop and start menu use DxWnd

to run game without DxWnd run the trek.exe directly from the install folder.

as for multiplayer setup as long as you are able to connect to other player that would be all you need. this really depends on your setup and router.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

I am using a switch.

Do i need to deactivate windows firewall, windows defender?

well i will just add the installation of birth vanilla. or do i need to reinstall all mods instead of just adding it?

i leave tools then and make sure both are without dxwnd. i think the last trys where with dxwnd for all.

lets test.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

hm. tested FDA. Lots ouf out of sych, combat very slow and sometimes crahsy...

then i thought... i got 3 PCs attached to the switch but only 2 Pcs playing... so i removed 1 LAN caple... 30 turns without out of synch, battles faster, no crash yet. Maybe thats the issue... will continue stress testing. :up:

on one pc there was this installation error:
IPersistFile::Save; code 0x8007005
Access denied
game seems still to run.... :?:

UE:
Intel Modifer. On simple its much lower (90) then on impossible (200) does this mean intel is in general better on higher difficulties, including human vs. human?

Intel Modifier: Also e.g. the federation has a higher value towards dominion then klingon. does this mean they get a bonus against dominion in relation to the klingons?

I heart it helps performance when there are fewer space objects? Also there is a star/anomaly ratio of 0.67 should it be increased or decreased for better performance? :roll:

continue speaking of Trek.exe
There its possible to change AI ship building. When i deny them building colony ships (for faster games), i guess that would jeypdize stability, since its the trek.exe?

Once stresstesting on non-modded mod works, i will try adding the modified .res :mrgreen:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

UE:
Intel Modifer. On simple its much lower (90) then on impossible (200) does this mean intel is in general better on higher difficulties, including human vs. human?
No,the intel attack frequency is higher on lower difficulties, but that's just due to a bug and can be corrected, see modding index -> intel. Also for your other questions.

I heart it helps performance when there are fewer space objects? Also there is a star/anomaly ratio of 0.67 should it be increased or decreased for better performance? :roll:
Not a main point, just avoid extended i.e. larger maps.
continue speaking of Trek.exe
There its possible to change AI ship building. When i deny them building colony ships (for faster games), i guess that would jeypdize stability, since its the trek.exe?
No problems with this AFAIK, DCER even added the feature to UE (IIRC):
viewtopic.php?f=218&t=707#p9673
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

thanks for the infromation Spocks-cuddly-tribble. :smile:

@Thunderchero:

Once 3 PCs / 3 Empires meet each other and interact, i have no luck. turn 10-20 without contact no problem... but

when there are 3 player and 2 of them are in combat, real slow combat + crashes all 2-3 combats.

also all 10 turns out of synch error (even on automatic combat) if 4 empires know each other and interact with ships and intel.

Birth Multiplayer is dead to me :cry: , until someone finishes a bug-free multiplayer successor. :roll:

At least the turn processing on small maps is good enought for singleplay, which i will try again sometimes. :mrgreen: aat at least something, especially with my new knowledte of UE and .res

Have a good time, everyone :!: :cool:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

FDA has a known patch that causes multi-player sync errors "Morale Disabling the chasing ships away / morale-boosting exploit"

I have no idea what kind of "switch" or if it is stable for botf MP games. have you tried without it?

as for the general stability playing a multi player game, in my experiences with a properly configured connection avg between "turn" crash would be 30 - 100 turns, for combat crashes no issues when only a few ships involved (up to 40 - 50 ships) combat that involves more than 100 ships 50% combat will crash.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

thunderchero wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 pm FDA has a known patch that causes multi-player sync errors "Morale Disabling the chasing ships away / morale-boosting exploit"

I have no idea what kind of "switch" or if it is stable for botf MP games. have you tried without it?

as for the general stability playing a multi player game, in my experiences with a properly configured connection avg between "turn" crash would be 30 - 100 turns, for combat crashes no issues when only a few ships involved (up to 40 - 50 ships) combat that involves more than 100 ships 50% combat will crash.
I only have one switch (10mb/100mb) connection. Since non of the pcs are connected to the router/internet. i have no other connection possibility.

Whats a "properly configured connection"? The only thing i could do would be to add the Hosts IP for all clients in birth config... (and for the hos itselve its ip). Or maybeinstalling hamachi or something to connect using that.

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”