Galaxies MOD; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Mudpuppy630511
Ensign
Ensign

Re: (Download) ST:BotF Galaxies MOD v0.3.6x1

Post by Mudpuppy630511 »

Tethys wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:00 am
Mudpuppy630511 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:32 pm I'm curious to know the reasoning behind the colony ships having a short range instead of medium. I have noticed that the production queues of each of my systems get hung up on the "Power node" and "sensor node" buildings. I have to clear the queue and then requeue those items in order to correct it.
Thanks :) are you referring to Borg colony ships, or all around? The Borg get an Advanced Constructor around Tech 6 with a medium range. In the new version of GALM I have disabled them for the player, but they remain a part of Borg AI expansion (due to AI inability to compensate). I tried to design the Borg to be more of a tough race for player, while being a strong opponent against player. Seems to be working.
Mudpuppy630511 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:32 pmHere are my thoughts as I play through the Borg:
I was wondering if there has been any work on the Borg v/o's for system colonization, the v/o's for ship combat, and encountering new races. When I encountered the Orions, the game thought I had encountered the Pakleds. Likewise, when I encountered the Risians it was confused with the Mizarians. Has there been any headway on narration v/o for the new alien encounters, and the summary to be more Borg-like?
I was also wondering if there has been any thoughts of changing the music from the Ferengi music to something more Borg-like?
I was wondering if there will be an intro v/o for when you select the Borg to play instead of the Ferengi introduction.
No new voiceovers have been added. There is.. ahem.. low availability of voice actors around (0 excluding myself, I did some Borg voice but have since lost the filters I used to mix them, new ones would sound different) I would love to have a standard introduction from each race similar to the major races, instead of the 5x narration of each major races narrator. A simple greeting "Greetings from Vulcan. We are a people of peaceful exploration and logic. It is agreeable to make first contact with you." and "We are the Maquis! The Cardassians will pay for what they have done to us! If you choose to ally yourself with them, then you will pay too!" and "The Prophets have guided you here! In time, you will see what it means to believe. Welcome to Bajor." However this would require at least some diversity of voice actors. I could probably pull off 5 or 6 minors. But I would need some women, and deep and shallow voices.

Thanks for playing, glad you like it, you should grab the new version. A few new features and some bug fixes also. :up:
I will do so when time permits. Kids are on distance learning for another day...
Mudpuppy630511
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mudpuppy630511 »

I was wondering if you or anyone had thought about adding "Section 31" to the list intelligence structures for the UFP in the Galaxies Mod.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Starfleet Intelligence and Section 31 perform the same function according to Memory Alpha. Both are specialized in espionage.

I guess it could be added to GALM, but that might throw off the intel mechanic unless the values are adjusted.

I suppose Section 31 could have no energy requirement to give the illusion of being more covert and autonomous. I could probably more easily include them as clever lexicon work, replacing "Starfleet Intelligence has a deep cover operative..." when getting a blame intel event with "Starfleet Intelligence has a Section 31 operative..." and that should be fine enough.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/St ... telligence
Founded:
c. 2140s
Headquarters:
Starfleet Headquarters
Affiliation:
United Earth Starfleet
Federation Starfleet
Members:
Starfleet Intelligence personnel
Mission:
Espionage
Active (2379)
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Section_31
Founded:
2140s
Headquarters:
S31 Headquarters (23rd century)
None (24th century)
Beta Quadrant
Affiliation:
United Earth
United Federation of Planets
Starfleet
Members:
Section 31 personnel
Mission:
Espionage
Active (2370s, prime reality)
Active (2259, alternate reality)
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Dreamer1984
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dreamer1984 »

Been playing the newest version for some time now, game setup start: all level 5, me-Federation level 4. Few minor races, impossible, and Large elliptical map. Random events on, vendetta.

Here is a save game turn 150, still haven`t made contact with another major race. And, had researched all technologies, except the last Dreadnought ship (one tech level missing, on purpose :) ). Did not have any CTD.

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Im sorry, I don't understand the issue? Are you worried about not meeting another major at turn 150? You probably don't want to ruin your game by using -Mudd F11, but you want to verify the other races are expanding properly, am I correct?

You have not experienced any crash? This is good news :)

I will check out the save and see if they are expanding properly, and report back.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I had a look at the save using -Mudd F11

Everyone is expanding nicely, you are actually very close to 2 majors, so just keep on going :)

I think I'll have to make the Borg a little stronger, they seem to be getting conquered quite easily. I should probably increase their global ground combat value. That's really the only issue I am seeing.

And if it makes you feel any better, the Klingons still haven't found another major empire either. But they are very close to 2 empires at turn 151 ;)

You know, I designed GALM so that you don't have to colonize every system :lol: I think my favorite part of your game is the wormhole being so close to Bajor
Dreamer1984
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dreamer1984 »

Yes, that was my concern.. that they are not expanding properly. :up:

TBH, I prefer colonizing every system, even small ones.. cause I can turn those systems into intel systems, and thus relieve other systems for other purpose (building or science).

I am gonna continue with my campaign, and report back if something happens (CTD or a bug).

Cheers!
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Nice, I am very pleased there are no crashes to be reported! But I still think the taskforce patch needs to be removed, or that could be a long term project of mine, to fix the other 1000+ locations to have proper taskforce patch (minors included).

Thank you for your thorough testing. Perhaps in the near future, we could try a multiplayer game and square away any sync errors that arise :)
raestuart
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by raestuart »

i am very much enjoying this mod, thank you for making it!
is there a way to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.6?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

raestuart wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:54 pm i am very much enjoying this mod, thank you for making it!
is there a way to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.6?
easiest way is to use the all in one beta

viewtopic.php?p=56455#p56455
raestuart
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by raestuart »

will it just over write my previous mods i have it from a few years ago or should i uninstall?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

raestuart wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:45 pm will it just over write my previous mods i have it from a few years ago or should i uninstall?
always uninstall first
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Analysing the stellar object extension, I found a bug at 0x3CC19 / asm_43D819. The code is moved by 4 bytes for 2nd additional stellar type. By moving the call it now however calls trek.5081B4 instead of trek.5081B0 since the call addresses are relative to next instruction address.
By luck the corrupted routine doesn't ever seem to be called since it handles 'unknown star types'. If called it corrupts the stack and causes undefined behaviour, most likely leading to an immediate game crash.

BTW, while I'm still missing the galaxy generation stellar type counter to generate new types, the new UE code patches I implemented for the lexicon name and description mappings already seem to work fine and will allow for many more stellar types. ;)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

There is another code glitch at asm_4B0734. Here it was missed to update the jump destination when moving the code.
Not that much of an issue since it's still a valid code address and unlikely to interfere but still a bug.

And another bug for the galaxy generation of black holes (stellar type 12 / 0Ch), since it is both regarded as system at asm_B07A4 and as anomaly at asm_4B081E. Only either of it should be true to not mess the system frequency calculation.
Testing it with unpatched GALM, black holes show up both for system populated sectors and for empty sectors.

And some further bugs in the galaxy generation code I guess you missed to update the stellar type count back to the 14 stellar types contained in objstruc.smt. That is at asm_4B052A, asm_4B0759, asm_4B07E9 and asm_4B087E you set the stellar type count to 15 (0Fh) instead. I dunno what consequences that has.

All above issues are automatically fixed with latest yet unreleased UE 0.8.1dev when you open the 'Stellar Objects' view.

There is however one more issue with the GALM blackholes I didn't find how to resolve. Even when not applying any UE patches, it crashes as soon as you select a system with a blackhole. One could say it soaks up all user interaction along with the whole game, no crash log, no windows event log. :shock:

While I didn't figure the cause, I found where it is crashing:
galm-bh-callstack.jpg
galm-bh-callstack.jpg (48.77 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
A bit more readable with manual breakpoints set, numbered from outer to inner call:
galm-bh-breakpoints.jpg
galm-bh-breakpoints.jpg (57.68 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
This is with UE patches applied, which restores vanilla code alignment.
I also tested to change the animation with no effect.
Maybe someone with better asm analysis skill can make better clue of this. Or when Tethys is back and checks my changes he hopefully can figure what I missed.

When instead I add new anomaly types with the new UE implementaion to the vanilla game, all works fine. Even system stellar types work with the refined system mask I implemented:
pulsar.jpg
pulsar.jpg (104.97 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Thank you for bringing these bugs to my attention and documenting them here, it will be helpful when I inevitably return to modding GALM.

How many stellars are we saying UE can add now? The number was "many" more.. is that 255 total, or have we not tested this yet...?
And another bug for the galaxy generation of black holes (stellar type 12 / 0Ch), since it is both regarded as system at asm_B07A4 and as anomaly at asm_4B081E. Only either of it should be true to not mess the system frequency calculation.
Testing it with unpatched GALM, black holes show up both for system populated sectors and for empty sectors.
Yes, I think I did this intentionally because it is theoretically possible for planets to be present around black holes. I think they are shared because there was not enough code space at the time to create separate entries for the stellar objects? Which of course, is no longer the case with the relocation table space.

Return to “Galaxies MOD”