Galaxies MOD 0.3.0a--Building Problem(s)

Galaxies MOD; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Tachyonfang
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Galaxies MOD 0.3.0a--Building Problem(s)

Post by Tachyonfang »

First, hello all. It has been a gross long time since I was able to get back to you all, but, well, that's what happens when you take a contract with an R&D company in Berlin and end up having to do all of their Nth-dimensional mathematics for them. But, I am so glad to see all the great stuff that has been done for and with this game by all of you guys!

I tried to find a previous listing/post related to this problem, but simply was unable to do so, so I hope I'm not repeating someone else's question that already got answered.

I got the BOTF_1.0.2 multi and the galaxies_mod_0.3.0a all loaded up without a hitch. But when I used the UE_0.7.1b editor to add some buildings to my already-in-progress game, several weird things happened when I started playing again.

First, one of my already-colonized systems now lists a building named "0 Starfleet shipyards" amongst its structures. Furthermore, said system should not even be able to build a shipyard in it. I re-opened the file and tried to get rid of that particular building from amongst its list, only to find that when I re-ran the game, it had shown back up. And not only that, but now I was being allowed to actually build ships in that system.

Second, my Sol system has somehow sprouted a building named "Communications array"; It appears to be behaving the same way as the shipyard I just mentioned-that is, it is listed on my structures list for the sol system, I try to delete it using UE-but cannot, and finally, after actually powering it up in-game, on my next turn, it again listed itself as unpowered.

As I already said, if this problem has already been mentioned/discussed/answered, I apologize for not being able to find it. But can someone let me know, if possible, what is going on with my game?
--Tachyonfang
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Galaxies MOD 0.3.0a--Building Problem(s)

Post by thunderchero »

Tachyonfang wrote:But can someone let me know, if possible, what is going on with my game?
UE saved game editor has major flaws that cause numerous errors.

if you have a save before you edited, that would be only way to save game.

thunderchero
Victory
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Victory »

does this game not allow for automatic ship upgrades, i checked trek and res files to turn it on but does not work. is this intended or a problem. btw i love the game and the new things added
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1536&p=30275&hilit ... ade#p30275
Tethys wrote:I have fixed the Feds ship list to upgrade the way I would like, please note that ships do NOT auto upgrade. Neither do outposts or starbases. This is NOT a bug, but intentional.

Feds ship list and building list also have alot more space, so no more endless scrolling to find your ships. Also, Feds ships have been renamed according to Type Subtype (you will see when you play)

Outposts and starbases have extended territory feature. Outpost +1, starbase +2, this applies to all races.
Victory
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Victory »

was trying to add some pics for buildings which were not yet complete but when i saved the changes i received an error message which stated basic scanner not included for all races. i checked the building list and a sensor grid was there. confused it appears that the author he intentionally blocked various aspects of the program, does this include stopping the editor from functioning to modify building pics? it appears galm is not the mod to explore with as far as making any changes to it
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

can you just ignore message?

I took a quick look at scanners and he has a strange upgrade system that UE does not recognize.

structure marked as "basic scanner"does not allow feds to build, they start with different a scanner.

thunderchero
Victory
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Victory »

the problem occurs when you try to save the changes. ue does the change but during the save process it gives you an error message about the basic scanner and then does not save the file, but returns you to the editor. i really like many of the aspects of this mod, but would also like to see it moved to completion. thought it was me but a simple add file to the buildings is not that hard ;(
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

if you are not already using "UE 0.7.2dev5c.zip" you should be. galaxy mod used a lot of experimental code changes.
I did not experience that error when editing structures using UE 0.7.2dev5c.zip.

thunderchero
Victory
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Victory »

awesome didnt know 7.2 even existed. tried it it but unfortunately the mod crashed on start up. reloaded new mod and it at least started. i am guessing that since i had installed the taskforce patches this caused it to crash. shame i didnt backup trek and stobf before installing. truly love the 18 ship fleets. how about a note on the download section showing that the new file exists and where to go to get it. might save you a bit of time.

btw thanks for the help and patience you have always demonstrated, it is appreciated much
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Victory wrote:the mod crashed on start up
I doubt this had anything to do with 18 task force. since you were adding structure images I would guess you did not save tga files as 16-bit tga (this is a must or crash on start up) UE has a converter for images if your image editor no longer supports 16-bit tga's.

thunnderchero
Victory
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Victory »

ultimate frustration, still no satisfaction. using clean galm, using building pics from other botf mods, adding them one at a time, tried using different file names, tried using same file names. 7.2 does all changes now but after the first few changes, crash on start up. when i remove last file no problem game starts up. hmmmmmmmmmm im outta things to try. suggestions please, btw using vista operating system, with taskforce upgrade which is working just fine. have this wonderful collection of buildings with 6-7 tga files to building and not able to use them. btw why do some mods have 7 files per building?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Victory wrote: btw why do some mods have 7 files per building?
some may display a special image on an info screen? but I thought this was only monsters

Or the 1024 patch use a new image 400 x 333 that displays only in tech screen. but only 1024 needs these.
example gscn3_c.tga the c tga is new

thunderchero
Victory
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Victory »

so really any ideas on how to fix this problem. would like to change up the look of the buildings and such.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I am not sure exactly why/what you are doing to cause crash.

when it crashes is there a "Crash.log"?
be sure to check proper install path galaxy mod is in GAL folder.

can you duplicate problem with minimal changes? if so attach files and I will see if I can duplicate.
btw UE has option to extract edited files only.

thunderchero

Return to “Galaxies MOD”