First Impressions on un-Civil War

Uncivil wars; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

brisub
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

First Impressions on un-Civil War

Post by brisub »

As this was the first mod I played for BoTF (I didn't want to mess with uninstallations/installations and all that - thanks for the multi-game MOD!!!), I wasn't sure what to expect. What I liked a lot:

1) More variance in ships. This was a nice change and made the game feel fresh and new.

2) Ability to build structures to help overcome problems with vanilla game. For instance, the Federation Starfleet Intelligence was helpful as it kept the Romulans and Cardassians from continually sabotaging everything.

3) It has a more tactical feel than I expected. I am not used to being able to field fleets like this and, as such, didn't. I died most gloriously, but that is more because I need to adapt.

4) Opening film bit. It was a nice touch.

5) Naming the eras after the leaders of the Empire rather than tech 1/2/3/4/5. Again, a creative and nice touch.

What I didn't care for as much:

1) The bigger populations mean that colonies grow into starvation unless you go and buy every round to rush. Also, it means you have to take people out of food production every turn, as 2-3 units (10 people each, I know) get put into food even when you don't need them.

2) Still has vanilla problem with alliances not making sense. I guess I expected gowran/DuraS (proper spelling in tlhIngan Hol for the geeks like me) to be opposed. DuraS very anti-Federation and pro-Romulan, gowran very pro-Federation/anti-DuraS and the Cardassians as sort of a wild card. Anyway, that isn't a fault so much as a misconception on my part.

3) The scout should be the Oberth (for the Federation)

Anyway, I really appreciate the quality work in this mod and recommend it, even though the micromanaging of food got irritating (see above)

Brisub
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Well there's very little anyone can to to dictate the AI behavior when it comes to diplomacy.
However, try playing the game as Vendetta.

I'll need Thunderchero to confirm this as it's his mod but if i'm right then playing Vendetta ought to have the two Klingon factions at each other's throats, with Gowron hating the Romulans while Duras being potentially friendly with them.
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
dennycrane
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by dennycrane »

I really like the mod. Very very good work.
A new style, which comes with it looks great and videos are good, too.
As brisub said: nice touch!

And, in this case, I disagree with brisub, the Fede Scout as Nova-class was a good idea.

I just can recommend the mod to everyone and thanks for the fun to all who worked on it.

DennyCrane
The Federation claims to ignore Section31's tactics.
But when it comes to the dirty work they look the other way...
brisub
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

More a review at this point

Post by brisub »

Playing through in more detail, I did find a few bugs that are worth mentioning.

1) I was Romulan and when I rejected treaties, it used the "Treaty will be rejected" of the Klingon voice set

2) If you start at the first tech level, it causes 2 problems:

a- the colony ship is an advanced variant, terraforming very quickly and costing a lot to create
b- hostile races hunt you down and wipe out your colonies and there really is nothing you can do about it. This isn't a big deal, but worth noting, as it affects game play a lot

3) I had an alliance with the Cardassians and had one outpost that didn't grant me range. Not sure why this happened and I could not repeat the event

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed playing the mod.

Brisub
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi,

I just wanted to make a note here, A complete rework of UnCivil Wars mod is about 1/4 of the way completed. beta version is 4-6 months from release.

thunderchero
brisub
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Woot!

Post by brisub »

A rework? That's great news

buy'ngop!
carcher
Commander
Commander

Post by carcher »

A rework is really good news thunder :) I'm really enjoying playing this mod, had a couple of good mp games with it as well.
Lookin' forward to the update :D
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky....and one day mickar.....one day.....one sweet day......HAS ARRIVED!! HAPPY DAYS :D
dennycrane
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by dennycrane »

Yes, that's really cool. Can't wait.
The Federation claims to ignore Section31's tactics.
But when it comes to the dirty work they look the other way...
brisub
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by brisub »

Thunderchero,

Is there a way to make Gowron not get the Ferengi special of being able to trade with everybody? The first time I played, I thought everybody could trade, but only he could (w/o a treaty, I mean).

A big recommendation I'd have though is for some adjustment of first structures (make farm/factory I's cheaper) - I had trouble building fast enough to keep up with population growth on the 500+ pop worlds that were prevalent.

One thing I loved was how tactical the game is. You really need to think building fleets sooner than I usually do in BOTF. I also like the variety of ships.

bri
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

brisub wrote:Is there a way to make Gowron not get the Ferengi special of being able to trade with everybody? The first time I played, I thought everybody could trade, but only he could (w/o a treaty, I mean).

A big recommendation I'd have though is for some adjustment of first structures (make farm/factory I's cheaper) - I had trouble building fast enough to keep up with population growth on the 500+ pop worlds that were prevalent.
no free trade code has not been found, But in next version feds will get this advantage.

also building upgrade will be less (upgrade every other tech increase)

thunderchero
brisub
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by brisub »

Thunderchero,

I don't know what your answer means. Anyway, Gowron has free trade, which complicates the game but not too much.

Bri
RSE_Dissy
2020-Vanilla
2020-Vanilla

Post by RSE_Dissy »

you talk about micro managing of food.

did you know if you power more food structures than you need your colony will grow quicker

i usually leave enough food powered for colony max population at all times, and buy 6-8 food structure right away to get to this level quicker
Dissy of Red Squad Elite;

The Elite Gaming Clan of the MSN Gaming Zone

Peace, Love & Unity

Return to “Uncivil wars”