launcher GUI with J-shipedit

Building mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

launcher GUI with J-shipedit

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:51 pmplease test as much as possible.
Installer works fine testing Building mod and Planet mod by Joker.

The abbreviations of the mod names make the install options for both mods a bit hard to read (but still OK).

The delay when starting the installer improved greatly compared to the AIO.

I remember Building mod from Joker's page had a launcher to change res files (e.g. shiplist.sst) depending on difficulty level and player empire.
I can't see this in the installer version (800x600)? Or is this an extra download/feature?: viewtopic.php?p=39365#p39365
viewtopic.php?p=1975#p1975
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: launcher GUI with J-shipedit

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:12 pm I remember Building mod from Joker's page had a launcher to change res files (e.g. shiplist.sst) depending on difficulty level and player empire.
I can't see this in the installer version (800x600)? Or is this an extra download/feature?: viewtopic.php?p=39365#p39365
viewtopic.php?p=1975#p1975
The "Botf-Helper" joker had as part of Building Mod was never part of multi-installer or AIO.

Botf-Helper would not work with DxWnd, but with proxy files it might be possible now? but I was never able to get Botf-Helper to work on other mods prior to multi-installer (pre win 8 )

I am not even sure where to even start now. or if Botf-Helper would even work. (iirc antivirus did not like Botf-Helper also)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

It's not about BotF helper but launcher GUI with J-shipedit script changing shiplist.sst in stbof.res (albeit GUI tricorder enables helper):

You said the difficulty tool replaces opening and credit tga's (AIO 1.0.0):
Joker/thunderchero wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:55 pman option for changing difficulties for AI. it was a small program to lower AI ship construction cost, lower AI ship maintenance, increase AI troop transport production value and increase AI ground combat. It also had option for Auto upgrade for ships for all or only for AI.

this option is now working on his mod "Building mod 1.9.4" in download section for multi installer.

this will work with the building mod 1024 patch, but opening image and buttons will be mis-placed and credit tga both images will be 800 x 600 (difficulty tool replaces opening and credit tga's)
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:13 pm It's not about BotF helper but launcher GUI with J-shipedit script changing shiplist.sst in stbof.res (albeit GUI tricorder enables helper):

You said the difficulty tool replaces opening and credit tga's (AIO 1.0.0):
Joker/thunderchero wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:55 pman option for changing difficulties for AI. it was a small program to lower AI ship construction cost, lower AI ship maintenance, increase AI troop transport production value and increase AI ground combat. It also had option for Auto upgrade for ships for all or only for AI.

this option is now working on his mod "Building mod 1.9.4" in download section for multi installer.

this will work with the building mod 1024 patch, but opening image and buttons will be mis-placed and credit tga both images will be 800 x 600 (difficulty tool replaces opening and credit tga's)
I will take another look at adding it since it does work now (just tested) with proxy files.

here is "difficulty" folder just place in install path and run "difficulty\start.exe"
difficulty.zip
(839.87 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Question is should launcher GUI with J-shipedit start by default using all shortcuts? (B194 mod only)

but now I forgot how to edit to be used with other mods/registries. right now I have it set to use B194

Code: Select all

( "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microprose\Star Trek: B194", "InstallPath" )
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Thank you very much.

Joker is still the unforgotten BotF hero of the first hour and his building mod deserves the be preserved with this unique feature (albeit re-coding trek.exe would better these days).

The difficulty launcher has some issues:

- enabling BotF-Helper causes an error loop (after updating stbof.res before game start) so I had to shutdown windows 10
- first two launches J-shipedit got deleted (after two times restoring J-shipedit issue was gone?)
- Mudd requires re-starting game via trek.exe shortcut after setting AI/player files
- I don't get purpose of the bldset*.bin files, J-shipedit readme says 'Create new bldset1.bin (static)'?
thunderchero wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:49 pmQuestion is should launcher GUI with J-shipedit start by default using all shortcuts? (B194 mod only)
Due to the -Mudd and BotF-helper issue this might be not the best option? Just adding the files with readme and BotF-helper warning could be better?

OT: You intented to patch all mods with anti-crash fixes. How about creating a trek.exe multi-patch for all older mods also including stuff like mod version name fix (last ecm patch) and wrong ship displayed after ramming (no one will object or even notice).
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:09 am Thank you very much.

Joker is still the unforgotten BotF hero of the first hour and his building mod deserves the be preserved with this unique feature (albeit re-coding trek.exe would better these days).

The difficulty launcher has some issues:

- enabling BotF-Helper causes an error loop (after updating stbof.res before game start) so I had to shutdown windows 10
- first two launches J-shipedit got deleted (after two times restoring J-shipedit issue was gone?)
- Mudd requires re-starting game via trek.exe shortcut after setting AI/player files
- I don't get purpose of the bldset*.bin files, J-shipedit readme says 'Create new bldset1.bin (static)'?
thunderchero wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:49 pmQuestion is should launcher GUI with J-shipedit start by default using all shortcuts? (B194 mod only)
Due to the -Mudd and BotF-helper issue this might be not the best option? Just adding the files with readme and BotF-helper warning could be better?

OT: You intented to patch all mods with anti-crash fixes. How about creating a trek.exe multi-patch for all older mods also including stuff like mod version name fix (last ecm patch) and wrong ship displayed after ramming (no one will object or even notice).
the BotFhelper.exe should not be used separately it is hard coded to use vanilla registry to find install path.
it looks to be the same for J-shipedit.exe
only the start.exe is set to properly use B194 registry
if start.exe is used BotFhelper.exe and J-shipedit.exe uses path from start.exe
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

All above issues occurred testing start.exe launcher.

Selecting tricorder (BotF Helper) gives an unstoppable popup loop Windows\system32\cmd.exe after stbof.res update.

And how to use launcher/helper with -Mudd?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I did not design launcher so no idea how or if any of the issues can be fixed.

as for -Mudd I see no way to use both at the same time since launcher starts trek.exe.

as for "BotF Helper" I just tested and keyboard shortcuts no longer work

so it looks like window 8+ has made "launcher GUI with J-shipedit" completely non functional.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:52 pmit looks like window 8+ has made "launcher GUI with J-shipedit" completely non functional.
J-shipedit still works with windows 10. It's a virus protection issue :!: I disconnected wifi and disabled AV and it works like a charm. :idea:

Tricorder (BotF Helper) still won't work and might lead to a cmd popup error loop when selected (now this issue is gone even without legacy mode).

Windows 10 Legacy Console mode: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... legacymode
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I had no issue with my antivirus and J-shipedit

But with the current state of launcher GUI with J-shipedit it should be keep as a separate download.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:44 amI had no issue with my antivirus and J-shipedit
It's hard to notice if you don't check selected ship/AI options of all empires using Mudd (no AV message/warning - even when deleting J-shipedit).
With AV enabled it always copied the same default files to stbof.res (federation gets player values all other 50% ship support), no new launcher settings.

thunderchero wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:44 amBut with the current state of launcher GUI with J-shipedit it should be keep as a separate download.
The working Launcher GUI for J-shipedit is the B-mod special/main feature (BotF Helper doesn't really matter).
Only reason for not adding the extra folder to B-mod would be new info/instructions for this feature with the download link (editing the database for other mods is much work).
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:20 pm The working Launcher GUI for J-shipedit is the B-mod special/main feature (BotF Helper doesn't really matter).
Yes it does matter since there is no way to remove or warn not to use BOTF helper.

or every time it is used They will post, "it is not working"
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Agreed, that's what I meant with 'reason for not adding ... would be new info/instructions for this feature'. :wink:
And with possible AV issue it definitely needs extra instructions like this topic. :up:
Anyhow, it's great I finally got this feature to work again.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I agree it is great J-shipedit is working, For me, I liked the BOTF helper more.

btw here is the full files from installer (issues with resolutions other than 800 x 600)

difficulty

Also if anyone is interested here is Jokers final full installer files

Jokers-installer
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

After further testing "launcher GUI with J-shipedit" is limited to a shiplist of 125 ships (vanilla total)
J-shipedit only reads first 125 lines of database.txt all other line are ignored.

so even the edited/fixed B194 would no longer work.

Return to “Building mod”